GWT: English Premier League - Round 37 - 5/7 & 5/8

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
3/4 of Man City fans walked out of the stadium before Pellegrini's good bye speech

Wow

Also :

"If City don't play CL next season it's Guardiola's problem"

Pellegrini

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
long story short about Spurs match today, I forgot my phone so obviously, no pictures. I've actually been very ill my entire time in London, fever of 102....and it was HOT today. My seat was in section 23, and I will be the last person ever to sit in that seat. That part of WHL will be torn down starting Tuesday due to the construction of the new stadium.

Had as good a time as I could, my fever broke during the game, so I was sweating like I was in a sauna for hours. Can't wait to go back to the new stadium in a few years.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I never thought I'd root for United to win out, but I'd love if they nipped City to that CL spot. I'd crack up if they didn't have CL for Pep's first season, considering how they left Pellegrini as a lame duck.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would too and also can't believe I'm saying that. United would be more tempted to keep LvG in that case as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Question for United fans.. Does Van Gaal remain the coach if they qualify for the champion league?

There's rumours United want Mourinho to wait one year but who really knows anymore what's going to happen? It would be interesting to see what LVG can do with a healthy squad.

That's the strange part about all the rumors. It sounds like United really wants Mourinho, but wants him to wait a year and most places are saying if they force him to wait a year he'll say no and go elsewhere.

I can't see them sacking LVG unless there's someone like Mourinho or another big name on deck and I just don't see any available right now.

If they make the CL, the pressure to ask Mourinho to wait a year will be much higher, but even if they don't somehow it wouldn't shock me to see him back next year if they finish 5th and win the FA cup despite how much I think they really need to ditch his style.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I cant do it. As much as I want LvG to be there next year I cant support them making the champions league.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I never thought I'd root for United to win out, but I'd love if they nipped City to that CL spot. I'd crack up if they didn't have CL for Pep's first season, considering how they left Pellegrini as a lame duck.

It would sort of justify them in getting rid of Pellegrini, no?

Personally I want City to get locked out of the CL in the hope that it would push Gündogan to stay. Not like he'd be playing anytime soon anyway though. :(

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's hard to blame a manager for a team under performing domestically when a.) they made their first ever CL semi and b.) they announced his replacement half way through the season.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It would sort of justify them in getting rid of Pellegrini, no?

Personally I want City to get locked out of the CL in the hope that it would push Gündogan to stay. Not like he'd be playing anytime soon anyway though. :(

What hatterson said.

It's hard to blame a manager for a team under performing domestically when a.) they made their first ever CL semi and b.) they announced his replacement half way through the season.

Lock up the contract whenever the hell you want, but announcing a new manager 6 months before he takes the reins whilst retaining your current manager and leaving him in that awkward spot where he's still working but with the knowledge that his termination date is on the rise is absolutely ridiculous. I do not blame Pellegrini at all in this situation nor would City missing the CL vindicate that bull.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

I disagree. Players need to act professionally in this sport and continue to perform to their best when they know they're leaving the club, and the same should be expected of coaches. It's not like City were very good this year before Pep was announced as his successor either.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
long story short about Spurs match today, I forgot my phone so obviously, no pictures. I've actually been very ill my entire time in London, fever of 102....and it was HOT today. My seat was in section 23, and I will be the last person ever to sit in that seat. That part of WHL will be torn down starting Tuesday due to the construction of the new stadium.

Had as good a time as I could, my fever broke during the game, so I was sweating like I was in a sauna for hours. Can't wait to go back to the new stadium in a few years.
Nice :yo:

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
As an utd fan. Top4 would legit be amazing. We would be up there for one of the worst top4 sides in recent memory. Just the lack of getting the best of our players from lvg is sad. We would be with Chelsea if it wasn't for 5-6 games of inform rooney, Rashford, Martial and most shocking for me Mata. Smalling and De gea saved us so many times in terms of defending as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I disagree. Players need to act professionally in this sport and continue to perform to their best when they know they're leaving the club, and the same should be expected of coaches. It's not like City were very good this year before Pep was announced as his successor either.

They actually were doing pretty well. At the time of the announcement they were 3 points back of Leicester for top of the table and had the (tied for) best goal differential in the league. If they had kept up the same pace they'd currently by at 71 points, good for 2nd in the league and comfortably in the CL group stage. They were also still alive in the CL, League Cup and FA cup.

They made the announcement on Feb 1. They won the next day against Sunderland, then lost to Tottenham and Spurs in the league, got smoked by Chelsea in the FA cup, barely edged Liverpool in the league cup final on penalties, but then got beat by them in the league.

Basically the run shortly after announcing that Pep was coming and Pellegrini was a lame duck was what cost them any shot they had at the title.

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
Pos. Club Seasons Pld Win Draw Loss GF GA GD Pts 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Relegated Avg
Pts Best
Pos.
1 Manchester United 23 886 567 185 134 1753 783 970 1886 13 5 3 1 82.00 1
2 Arsenal 23 886 482 230 174 1556 831 725 1676 3 5 5 7 72.87 1
3 Chelsea 23 886 474 224 188 1501 839 662 1646 4 4 4 2 71.57 1
4 Liverpool 23 886 440 221 225 1460 894 566 1541 3 5 5 67.00 2
5 Tottenham Hotspur 23 886 355 226 305 1251 1170 81 1291 2 56.13 4
6 Everton 23 886 321 253 312 1138 1108 30 1216 1 52.87 4
7 Aston Villa 23 886 313 267 306 1090 1110 –20 1206 1 1 1 52.43 2
8 Newcastle United 21 806 313 207 286 1124 1075 49 1146 2 2 1 1 54.57 2

9 Manchester City 18 696 285 172 239 1022 845 177 1027 2 2 1 2 57.06 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_records_and_statistics

I predicted Leicester would be relegated. :shakehead What if every team played as hard as they do? It would be amazing. It's cool to see the Manchester teams fighting each other for CL/Europa. Who will win? Between Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, and a Manchester team, who will do the best in the CL? The Blues are 12-12-12. :laugh: . I just felt like looking up the All-time Premier League table. I knew who the Fantastic Four are. I'm sorry to see Aston Villa (relegated) and Newcastle, who both have proud top eight traditions, having poor seasons. Who else will be relegated? Do payments to relegated teams widen the gap between promoted teams and non-promoted teams?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just the lack of getting the best of our players from lvg is sad.

It seems like he just doesn't know how to manage a game when his team simply has more talent than the opposition.

Against the current top 5, they're tied for the best record with Arsenal and Spurs. 12 points in 8 games. And if you include Liverpool and Chelsea among the "top" teams (or at least teams that you can't really say United obviously has more talent than) the record gets even better.

But they've got losses against Swansea, Bornemouth, Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland and West Brom. Sure having one or two of those a season is understandable, but not having all of them. They've lost games against each of the bottom 6 teams except Aston Villa (who everyone beat up on) and Newcastle (who they drew two with)

That means they've earned more points against Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal, and City (12 in 8 games) than they have against Norwich, Newcastle, Sunderland, Bournemouth and West Brom (11 points in 9 games). That could change in a week with a game still to play against Bournemouth, but it's still disgraceful.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Do payments to relegated teams widen the gap between promoted teams and non-promoted teams?

There's a huge gap between a team not promoted and one promoted and then demoted the next year.

From the info I could pull, championship sides receive £2.3M each from solidarity payments. A club relegated from the PL receives £24M in their first year down, £19.3M in their second and £9.6 in their 3rd and 4th.

Everything is going to be shuffled with the new (and larger) TV deal taking over, but it seems like the rough ratios are going to stay the same. PL teams get a 100% share, relegated teams get 55% year 1, 45% year two, and 20% year three with the year three payment only being sent if the team was in the PL for more than a single season. Championship sides receive a 30% share of the 20% parachute payment (which seems to be a 6% overall share) for being in the Championship.

So the difference between a team that spends 4 years in the Championship and one that gets promoted, spends a single PL season, then gets demoted forever is very significant. Even excluding the revenue earned while in the single PL season, you're still talking £60+M

The revenue sharing and parachute payments are a double edged sword that way. On one hand they help a team like Villa not have to suddenly sell all of their players to avoid bankruptcy, but on the other hand they seem to be likely to create a class of tweener teams. Teams that make the PL once every 2-3 years and rely on that revenue to maintain spending well above what a mid table Championship team can handle.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
...The revenue sharing and parachute payments are a double edged sword that way. On one hand they help a team like Villa not have to suddenly sell all of their players to avoid bankruptcy, but on the other hand they seem to be likely to create a class of tweener teams. Teams that make the PL once every 2-3 years and rely on that revenue to maintain spending well above what a mid table Championship team can handle.
Thanks and agreed. I won't be surprised if Villa and Newcastle come back to the Premier League in the next 2 years with that type of financial advantage.

The other thing that was interesting about the All-time Premier League table was that Football League Championship Blackburn Rovers are still ranked 10th, Football League One Coventry City are still ranked 18th, the now defunct Wimbledon are still ranked 20th, and Football League Two Portsmouth are still ranked 29th. All of them are ranked above Crystal Palace, Swansea City, Watford, and Bournemouth.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Anyone who thinks LVG should be kept (regardless of FA cup and EPL finish) needs to have their head examined. This team has been blatantly mediocre all season. They've been lucky the rest of the league is just as average.

The results haven't been good enough, period. There's a certain amount of boring product I'll watch at the cost of success - But honestly, even if we take top 4 and the FA cup, it's still not enough to justify this ****. It's awful, unwatchable stuff, and his delusional press conferences dont make it any better.

And no, I don't want to hear injuries have hampered him. He's got no excuses. He's been given 300m to do what he wants. He basically gave away squad players for nothing, didn't replace them, watched the injuries pile up, and then complained he was hamstrung by it. I'm so tired of this clown.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
3/4 of Man City fans walked out of the stadium before Pellegrini's good bye speech

Wow

Also :

"If City don't play CL next season it's Guardiola's problem"

Pellegrini

He should have gotten a better reception. Pellegrini has had issues during his time, but has always been nothing but class and respect during his tenure. He should have recieved some back from the fans.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
Premier League Clubs Wage Bill For 2015-16 Season
NO# CLUB 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16
-------------------------------------------------------
13 West Bromwich £49m £65.4m £68.5m
14 Southampton £47m £55.2m £59.5m
15 Swansea City £55m £48.1m £51m
16 Crystal Palace £45.7m £54.3m
17 Leicester City £36.6m £48.2m
18 Norwich City £37m
19 Watford £29m
20 Bournemouth £25m
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Okay, which of the low payrolls are gonna win the league next year? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad