Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes has no business getting that much more than what Mcavoy or werenski got.
1 good year and 1 trash year

7% of the cap should be the ceiling. End of the story.
so $5.7 mill.

The comparables are right there.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I’d take that trade, actually.

Teams that try to sign a player to an offer sheet are usually competitive teams. Rebuilding teams aren't going to give up those draft picks. The draft picks would be in the latter half of the rounds. The chance of finding even 1 player of Pettersson's caliber with those picks would be low.

I cant think of a reason why a GM would not offersheet Pettersson with a 5 year $10,907,735 deal.

It will cost 2x 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd but nets you a top line center.

Because the Canucks would likely match, and then find a way to deal with it, even if it is an overpayment. Even Nashville matched Shea Weber's offer sheet when it was designed to try to make it "impossible" for Nashville to match. Teams will not let other teams poach their players unless they feel the compensation is worth more. It would set a dangerous precedent.

In the past 20 years there's only been 1 successful offer sheet, Dustin Penner, who's compensation was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That was more valuable than a 45 point player.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Teams that try to sign a player to an offer sheet are usually competitive teams. Rebuilding teams aren't going to give up those draft picks. The draft picks would be in the latter half of the rounds. The chance of finding even 1 player of Pettersson's caliber with those picks would be low.

Because the Canucks would likely match, and then find a way to deal with it, even if it is an overpayment. Even Nashville matched Shea Weber's offer sheet when it was designed to try to make it "impossible" for Nashville to match. Teams will not let other teams poach their players unless they feel the compensation is worth more. It would set a dangerous precedent.

In the past 20 years there's only been 1 successful offer sheet, Dustin Penner, who's compensation was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That was more valuable than a 45 point player.
True enough, but I’d like to explore trade options. I no longer think that he’s our guy and I’m curious what we can get in next years draft.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
remember the time don baizley convinced anaheim to not qualify paul kariya, promising that he’d re-sign at a lower number longterm?

then he turned around and signed a one year with colorado to take him to UFA?

totally seems like something that would happen to benning right?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
remember the time don baizley convinced anaheim to not qualify paul kariya, promising that he’d re-sign at a lower number longterm?

then he turned around and signed a one year with colorado to take him to UFA?

totally seems like something that would happen to benning right?

Is that how that went down?

I thought Kariya had like a $10M QO that the Ducks plainly couldn’t afford (and frankly, Kariya wasn’t playing like he was worth that that at that stage) and the Ducks GM (Bob Murray?) walked away from it as a cap move. I remember Brian Burke vocally supporting him, saying how it took enormous cajones to do it.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I cant think of a reason why a GM would not offersheet Pettersson with a 5 year $10,907,735 deal.

It will cost 2x 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd but nets you a top line center.

Lack of cap room? Not having the full allotment of picks? That’s a hefty salary. How many teams are in the position to make that kind of offer sheet that Petey would be interested in playing for? A contender would be capped team. Are they interested in adding a player that makes close to $11M AAV? For a lower ranked team the price is even greater and likely more than a Petey away from contention.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Is that how that went down?

I thought Kariya had like a $10M QO that the Ducks plainly couldn’t afford (and frankly, Kariya wasn’t playing like he was worth that that at that stage) and the Ducks GM (Bob Murray?) walked away from it as a cap move. I remember Brian Burke vocally supporting him, saying how it took enormous cajones to do it.

that’s how i remember it. but i think there was an official story where none of the parties acknowledged that there was an agreement before him not being qualified and they just pretended $10 mill was too expensive, because nobody wanted to publicly discuss backdoor deals to circumvent the CBA.

but it doesn’t make sense that they couldn’t afford kariya at that number. him not being worth it? sure. but the money was there. when kariya walked, they signed fedorov to five years, $40 mill, front loaded with year one being the exact same $10 million. that was a day after they signed vinny prospal to fill the kariya hole on first line, LW.

this account is pretty close to what i remember—Anaheim Ducks Tales: Paul Kariya Jilted the Mighty Ducks in 2003

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
that’s how i remember it. but i think there was an official story where none of the parties acknowledged that there was an agreement before him not being qualified and they just pretended $10 mill was too expensive, because nobody wanted to publicly discuss backdoor deals to circumvent the CBA.

but it doesn’t make sense that they couldn’t afford kariya at that number. him not being worth it? sure. but the money was there. when kariya walked, they signed fedorov to five years, $40 mill, front loaded with year one being the exact same $10 million. that was a day after they signed vinny prospal to fill the kariya hole on first line, LW.

this account is pretty close to what i remember—Anaheim Ducks Tales: Paul Kariya Jilted the Mighty Ducks in 2003
That article, which presumes to be a complete account of how Kariya left Anaheim, barely mentions it and refers to it as a rumour. It wasn't reported anywhere at the time and hasn't appeared anywhere but fan commentary (and this is a Fansided article). All in all, I can't see Paul Kariya doing that.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lack of cap room? Not having the full allotment of picks? That’s a hefty salary. How many teams are in the position to make that kind of offer sheet that Petey would be interested in playing for? A contender would be capped team. Are they interested in adding a player that makes close to $11M AAV? For a lower ranked team the price is even greater and likely more than a Petey away from contention.

I mean... He would be UFA after the deal and would be free to choose his team.

And he would be 50 mil rich. I dont think Petey would be too picky on the team.

upload_2021-6-17_11-21-4.png

I say these teams could do it, some would have to do another move to get the salary to make sense but still:
- Seattle
- Ottawa
- NJ
- Detroit
- Los Angeles

I’d take that trade, actually.

That is absolutely insane.

The likelihood of finding a top line center with those picks is slim...

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I mean... He would be UFA after the deal and would be free to choose his team.

And he would be 50 mil rich. I dont think Petey would be too picky on the team.

View attachment 447296

I say these teams could do it, some would have to do another move to get the salary to make sense but still:
- Seattle
- Ottawa
- NJ
- Detroit
- Los Angeles

That is absolutely insane.

The likelihood of finding a top line center with those picks is slim...
Why did you break character? Is this breaking character?

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Hey lets sign Pearson to a shit deal but not have enough money for our franchise C and D.

Makes sense.

I am genuinely curious what the Benning defenders had to say about the Pearson signing. Sure you can argue that we should resign him but to do so before resigning two of your most important RFAs?

Back to Hughes's contract. He shouldn't get anywhere close to 6m based on comparables.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Yeah. A Pettersson offer sheet is a lot more likely than a lot of people in the media believe. They have to get something worked out with Petey within the next couple weeks to be safe. Cant rely on LTIR placements right before the season to afford/sign these contracts.

Well it takes a willing player to sign an offer sheet. I can't see it going that way.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
If things go business as usual Pettersson is probably going to sign Barzal/Tkachuk/Point type of contract, 3 years around 7M.

But I always hope to see offer sheets, like with Aho 2 years ago. Someone throwing that 5 x 10.9M would be cool to see. I'm shocked every time these don't happen with high-end RFAs coming off ELCs because they just make too much sense. But that's the NHL for ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad