Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
EP40 at 3 Years 7 Million per is basically right on the Mark.

Hughes signing to a 5 year deal would be a f***ing train-wreck of a contract, I don't care how cheap.
You either buy his UFA Status or you sign a 3 year deal period.

The moment Quinn or Petey says 5 years, you simply say it's off the table period, 100% No questions asked.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This clip is all over the place.
“I talked with scouts”
“I talked with agents”

4 or 5 years??? In what world is Hughes allowed to walk to free agency? Then he says the werenski and mcavoy contracts are comparables which are both 3

just too much random speculation that doesn’t make sense

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Hughes signing to a 4 or 5 year deal would be a f***ing train-wreck of a contract, I don't care how cheap.

The moment Quinn or Petey says 4 or 5 years, you simply say it's off the table period, 100% No questions asked.
Quin has only accrued 2 years of the 7 needed to hit ufa. So a 4 year deal is basically the same as Petey getting a 3 year deal. Would leave both a year from ufa.

from player POV in terms of overall career earnings doing a deal for a year or two of your ufa now makes sense because it takes Petey til his 28 going on 29, aka Landeskog before he hits ufa on a 6 year deal that buys 2 ufa years. Next deal would be for max term of 8 years taking him to 36 going on 37.

doing a bridge takes Petey to 25 going on 26. Max term in next deal takes him to 33 going on 34. More difficult to score a great deal at 33.

But doing bridge puts Petey in control when his deal is up. Could be a Jones or Reinhart situation if the team doesn’t improve in 3 years time. Could then just go to arbitration and be gone as a ufa.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nobody is walking to UFA with term, Dhaliwal is just kind of dumb and doesn't understand the concept that RFAs don't get signed to their UFA year. He's made this same mistake tons of times in the past and I've heard Drance try to explain it to him - he just doesn't get it and never will.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Its not so much about UFA as it is the flat Cap. They are going to get paid regardless of where they go after this upcoming contract is over

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Nobody is walking to UFA with term, Dhaliwal is just kind of dumb and doesn't understand the concept that RFAs don't get signed to their UFA year. He's made this same mistake tons of times in the past and I've heard Drance try to explain it to him - he just doesn't get it and never will.

That explains this then. Because he acts pretty nonchalant like there isn't a massive difference between 4 & 5

Reactions: MarkMM

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That explains this then. Because he acts pretty nonchalant like there isn't a massive difference between 4 & 5

He gets great information but he isn't good at comprehending the information. He's said before he expected EP to come in at 3 or 4 years as well. Just no concept of what that means.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Quin has only accrued 2 years of the 7 needed to hit ufa. So a 4 year deal is basically the same as Petey getting a 3 year deal. Would leave both a year from ufa.

from player POV in terms of overall career earnings doing a deal for a year or two of your ufa now makes sense because it takes Petey til his 28 going on 29, aka Landeskog before he hits ufa on a 6 year deal that buys 2 ufa years. Next deal would be for max term of 8 years taking him to 36 going on 37.

doing a bridge takes Petey to 25 going on 26. Max term in next deal takes him to 33 going on 34. More difficult to score a great deal at 33.

But doing bridge puts Petey in control when his deal is up. Could be a Jones or Reinhart situation if the team doesn’t improve in 3 years time. Could then just go to arbitration and be gone as a ufa.
Oh nice to know! Thanks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh nice to know! Thanks
Burning a elc year like brock and Quinn did only impacts their salary in year 3 as a pro.
To earn a year towards free agency you have to be on an nhl roster for half the season. You can play in only 30/41 games but so long as you are on the roster you earn that time. Thus those 2 only earned 2 years towards ufa. Brock will still have 2 rfa years left when his deal expires.

Jake came in at 19. But he played all of year 2 of his elc in the A. Thus he only earned 2 years towards ufa in his elc. That is why even with a pair of bridge deals he would only be a rfa afterwards as he would have only 6 accrued nhl seasons and would be only 26.

Petey, the Barzal deal is a fair comparison.

Hughes, I don’t see at $6 mill even on a 4 year term. Think the low $5 mill range is fair as his Defense needs much more work. If I was picking between Hughes and McAvoy, I’d probably take McAvoy as he’s the better all around Dman. If he wanted 4 year term I’d push it up to $5.5 mill per.

My budget for the 2 of them has been $13 mill as I rather error on the higher side. But figure $12.5 is more likely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s a joke that we can’t sign our franchise player to a 7-8 year contract.
Post Covid, don't see players opting for that long term a deal. It will be 5/6 year depending on the number of RFA years they have left.

Again, for the player, doing some term makes financial sense if you look at the big picture of career earnings. Mainly from the POV of age when they sign their contracts. But, they should only be signing away 1 or 2 UFA years.

If you are wanting an 8 year deal out of Petey who is 22 now, but turns 23 before the end of the year, that takes him to 30 going into 31. On his next contract after that, he'd push for another max term til 38.

Bridge deals work for the team in that they are not likely buying out any declining years of the player. But, that also means that the AAV should be higher because there are no declining years. But, the player has more leverage in the next negotiations if the team hasn't turned it around yet.

Personally, if we are talking elite players, I think getting 2 UFA years now makes sense and if you can then extend them again when they are around 28 til they are 36, it's worth it still.

I would always go bridge if I can with other players. Brock made sense to go bridge. He's RFA again at 25 with 2 RFA years left. Bo, he's UFA at 28, so how many prime years would he have left if you signed him til he is 36 given his style of play and skating? He's like Toews/Tavares level skating, just above average, but something he's worked on. Not a naturally fluid skater. When would he decline?

Reactions: lousy and MarkMM

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Hughes signing to a 5 year deal would be a f***ing train-wreck of a contract, I don't care how cheap.

The moment Quinn or Petey says 4 or 5 years, you simply say it's off the table period, 100% No questions asked.

Hughes has fewer accrued seasons, a 4 year deal would end in RFA status.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I think this makes sense from EP's point of view. I think he's a smart kid and perhaps this is also his way of exerting a bit of influence to ownership and management in terms of making sure they are on notice about improving things. I never got the sense that he was much of a fan of Benning. But what do i know...

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I like Petey at 7 mill for 3 years. Then if it’s looking like he’s gonna be really expensive on the next contract, trade him. It’s too difficult to compete in this league with a top heavy salary structure.

Nov 1, 2011
Don't be obtuse.

It's kind of true though.

Petey hasn't broken 70 points yet and Hughes hasn't even shown he can be a top pair guy (Barzal, who is seen as a Petey comp has had an 85 point season).

At this point, there are question marks about whether either can be a franchise level player - I think both can be but better to make them earn it.

Locking guys like RNH and Eberle into "franchise level" contracts is a problem the Oilers had.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's kind of true though.

Petey hasn't broken 70 points yet and Hughes hasn't even shown he can be a top pair guy (Barzal, who is seen as a Petey comp has had an 85 point season).

At this point, there are question marks about whether either can be a franchise level player - I think both can be but better to make them earn it.

Locking guys like RNH and Eberle into "franchise level" contracts is a problem the Oilers had.
Barzal's 85 point year was as the second line center (i.e. easier matchups) on a team that played zero defence. Every single Islander fan says he is a considerably better player now.

Ergo, it's a bad comparison because Petey has been a far better player in far tougher circumstances (than Barzal's rookie year. I think there's an argument to be made for either overall).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad