Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
We are all going to expect big things from both Hughes & Pettersson this season.. and rightfully so.

Hard to say what that sweet point of weight for Hughes will be, before he loses that skating edge.. It will be interesting to see what he got up to this summer, and like everyone has said Brad Shaw will likely have a positive impact on the team this season. Hopefully he's had some conversations with him already.

Also agree Pettersson likely to blow up here soon.. seems like that kinda guy. Can he stay healthy though? That's what worries me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fox just won the Norris. If he does opt to sign this off season it would set the benchmark for all other Dmen. Fox is the first Dman drafted in the 201X years to win it. First of the group to break through.

So if the rangers are thinking OS to Petey what is Fox going to demand?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Dreger said if Pettersson was to go long term it'd be a similar deal to the Rantanen one.
So walk him to UFA at a higher AAV like Matthews/Rantanen or go for a shorter bridge and retain the RFA rights.. seems a no brainer to me

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Hughes:

2x $5M
3x $5.5M
4x $6M

I like going shorter term with Hughes because, despite his point totals, he can't as of yet anchor his own pairing. If his lauded work ethic and drive to improve bear fruit and he becomes a capable defender in his own right, then great. I need to see it first and when I do I'll back up the Brinks truck. If he is much the same player he is now after 3-4 years, then I won't be stuck with a higher AAV that was based on the potential that went unrealized. His potential to become an effective defensive zone defender isn't something I'd gamble on.

Of the 3 contracts, I proposed I like the 3 yr the best. I'd have preferred the 2yr but that puts his contract expiring alongside Horvat and Miller. At 3 years his contract expires at the same time as Myers and Pearson which is a ton of dead money that could go his way if he becomes the player we hope he can be.

Pettersson

3x $7M
8x $8.25M

I believe that 3 years is the most the Canucks can offer him without taking him to UFA so that is the only bridge deal that makes sense to me. I would love to get him locked up for max term right now, but I suspect a bridge makes more sense for him. I love the max term for Elias because I believe he is an elite player with nothing but upside who had a mediocre year likely hindered by injury. It's simply a buy-low opportunity for me with this player. His 6'2" frame has plenty of room to add strength and size that will only compliment his take-no-shit attitude. Unlike Hughes he doesn't need to add an entirely new skill set to reach his potential, he needs to simply build on what we've already seen. His potential seems like a much safer bet and thus I see far more value in buying up UFA years right now as the price will never be better.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Anyone find it concerning we are in mid July, and there's been zero movement on this? I keep having this idea that Seattle will just offer sheet EP forcing Benning to make some panic-driven deals to clear cap space.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Anyone find it concerning we are in mid July, and there's been zero movement on this? I keep having this idea that Seattle will just offer sheet EP forcing Benning to make some panic-driven deals to clear cap space.
Benning is an idiot and can only do one thing at a time.

He won’t realize until after someone has offersheeted EP that it was even a possibility.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dreger said if Pettersson was to go long term it'd be a similar deal to the Rantanen one.
I honestly don’t think Dreger has much of an inside scoop ever since his cousin Nonis has left a front office position, Nonis is a scout for Anaheim now so maybe Ducks rumours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad