Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The Alien has left Elias Pettersson for the time being. There is clearly something up with Pettersson, I'm not sure what it is, but he sure hasn't been himself lately. He's had some bad luck, breaking consecutive sticks in Calgary, or hitting the occasional bar, but the constant missed opportunities, and bobbled pucks has been puzzling. Pettersson is the most skilled player on the team, his confidince and creativity is amongst the best in the league, but right now for some reason he's handling the puck like a grenade. It's only a handful of games in, but Pettersson looks extremely average right now, and I can't understand why. Is he feeling the pressure or taking control of a young and upcoming team?, Or did losing Marky, Tan-Man, or Toffoli affect him mentally?, Is he injured?, Does he have covid?... Who knows, but something is up. Pettersson is lacking the confidence, and the drive that he had in previous years, he is making simple plays unbelievably hard.
I know it's still early, and Pettersson will eventually bounce back, but seriously what's up???

Pettersson's awful pass on the powerplay. Where he gave the Hab the breakaway goal, Pettersson looked very awkward skating back, very sluggish. My guess, he's either fatigued or injured.
What do you think?

I think he spent too much time concentrating on his IG and modelling career this offseason and not enough thinking about hockey........that's what it looks like to me.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think he spent too much time concentrating on his IG and modelling career this offseason and not enough thinking about hockey........that's what it looks like to me.
So he stayed in Vancouver the entire off-season to continue practicing and training and this is your take on it? Don't quit your dayjob.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So he stayed in Vancouver the entire off-season to continue practicing and training and this is your take on it? Don't quit your dayjob.

Yes that was his story..............I get you probably don't even know what IG is but I was ardently following his life/stories on there and it seemed like he was more concerned with being a celebrity this offseason then training.........

It happens he's a young kid and this is all new to him. I have no doubt he will bounce back, he's too good and too competitive but I don't doubt for a second this had a part to play in his lacklustre start.

Yes that is my take on it........if you aren't following him on IG not even sure how you can judge this

Reactions: Bobby9

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Will it? Say Petey has a poor season this year. I think it would be hard to convince a player of Petey's calibre that he is closer to that player than the top 5-10 #1C we think he is/can be. He'll probably just sign a short term deal if he's not being evaluated as a 30 goal (over 82 games) point per game player going forward.

Given Benning's cap disaster there's no way Petey wasn't signing a short-term deal after this season.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Also, if youre compensating by trying to take off pressure off the area that hurts, you are more likely to hit more ice and break your stick, or miss on a shot. You need a flawless follow through for his type of shot.
Or he hurt himself when he broke the stick. The jolt up your arm through the shoulder can be pretty severe.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Yes that was his story..............I get you probably don't even know what IG is but I was ardently following his life/stories on there and it seemed like he was more concerned with being a celebrity this offseason then training.........

It happens he's a young kid and this is all new to him. I have no doubt he will bounce back, he's too good and too competitive but I don't doubt for a second this had a part to play in his lacklustre start.

Yes that is my take on it........if you aren't following him on IG not even sure how you can judge this
I follow his IG and it doesn't seem any different than any other young person in his age, professional athlete or not. My take is that it's more likely you are just being an old geezer than EP's IG account affecting his performance.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Or he hurt himself when he broke the stick. The jolt up your arm through the shoulder can be pretty severe.

You know, its possible. I think that is more likely than most other people's take on his play. Either way, I expect him to get back to 100% health soon. Players aren't even looking to pass to him, they would not be doing that if he was healthy. When it's confidence, they usually dont stop passing to the guy, especially not a player like Pettersson, you get him going by setting him up

Reactions: Bougieman

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
not really surprised to see such a cerebral player with so much prior success have a bit of a mental block atm, he'll figure it out

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He looks fine physically. The problem seems to be that he went from a guy who would make no mistakes with the puck to a guy who's making multiple mistakes in one game. His stats against Canadian teams last season and this season is a bit worrisome, but he's way too good to struggle this much. I'm more worried about Hughes tbh. Without Tanev, his actual flaws are getting exposed, unlike Pettersson, who just seems to be in a temporary slump.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
He looks fine physically. The problem seems to be that he went from a guy who would make no mistakes with the puck to a guy who's making multiple mistakes in one game. His stats against Canadian teams last season and this season is a bit worrisome, but he's way too good to struggle this much. I'm more worried about Hughes tbh. Without Tanev, his actual flaws are getting exposed, unlike Pettersson, who just seems to be in a temporary slump.

It all comes back to coaching. Neither Pettersson or Hughes is Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby. Neither of them can do it all by themselves (and even then they have more support than our guys). Maybe they could end up being long-term top 5 guys in their position, but they're still young and have progress they still need to make in rounding out their games and finding consistency. That's fine. The thing is, our coaching and management need to be able to put them in a position to succeed and create an environment where they have the ability to do so.

Pettersson and Hughes are both going to be players who really shine when there's an effective top-to-bottom system in place that opens the ice for them and lets them capitalize on their strengths. It's trivially easy to shut down Petey when the structure to support him isn't in place, especially in such a small division where we can be easily scouted and outcoached. It's equally trivial to expose Hughes' weaknesses when we cant create any possession for him to work with, have no cycle that uses his skating, and get hemmed in every other shift. Both of these players have their strengths and weaknesses and a good coach would be able to build something that capitalizes on those strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Equally so, it's on management to surround them with strong, effective depth. Neither of those two things are happening.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It all comes back to coaching. Neither Pettersson or Hughes is Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby. Neither of them can do it all by themselves (and even then they have more support than our guys). Maybe they could end up being long-term top 5 guys in their position, but they're still young and have progress they still need to make in rounding out their games and finding consistency. That's fine. The thing is, our coaching and management need to be able to put them in a position to succeed and create an environment where they have the ability to do so.

Pettersson and Hughes are both going to be players who really shine when there's an effective top-to-bottom system in place that opens the ice for them and lets them capitalize on their strengths. It's trivially easy to shut down Petey when the structure to support him isn't in place, especially in such a small division where we can be easily scouted and outcoached. It's equally trivial to expose Hughes' weaknesses when we cant create any possession for him to work with, have no cycle that uses his skating, and get hemmed in every other shift. Both of these players have their strengths and weaknesses and a good coach would be able to build something that capitalizes on those strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Equally so, it's on management to surround them with strong, effective depth. Neither of those two things are happening.
Well gee its pretty hard for a coach of any ilk to set up a good system if you dont have the players.

So it stands to reason that the main problem is the set up of the team and the person in charge of setting up the team.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Well gee its pretty hard for a coach of any ilk to set up a good system if you dont have the players.

So it stands to reason that the main problem is the set up of the team and the person in charge of setting up the team.

Yes, I would agree that both in tandem are the issue

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I follow his IG and it doesn't seem any different than any other young person in his age, professional athlete or not. My take is that it's more likely you are just being an old geezer than EP's IG account affecting his performance.

Sooooo why is EP playing like dog crap then? Could it not be that he came to camp not as prepared and focused as in past seasons? Legit question..........he definitely isn't playing like the Petey we all know and love. He didn't just lose his talent - however it's obvious that he hasn't played well at all to start the season and IMO that can be attributed to focus.

There's such a fine line for professional athletes between being a superstar and not - relax a little and this sort of play happens. I'm not being some bitter old geezer here (I'm not even that old). Just what I observed this offseason with him being a bit more determined to have fun and show his personality then being on the ice and training.

Who knows? Maybe his GF dumped him? Maybe he has a sick family member? Whatever it is he certainly doesn't look like he has in the past..........I'm sure he will figure it out however I tend to think my thoughts on this are at least somewhat warranted.

(And the IG thing was just a reference to state that perhaps his focus wasn't quite what it should've been this offseason - this is going over many of your heads - please try to keep up)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Yes, I would agree that both in tandem are the issue
Right but you annot exoect a coach to turn a turd into a diamond. And you said that yourself.

I mean if we want to be pedantic we ciuld say the players, coach and GM are all an issue in treble.

The reality is the players are the majority of the teams success and unless the coach is not playing certain players or over playing others its hard to pin the success/failure or the team of him/her if they simply dont habe the requisite players.

And no Motte playing x minites vs Pettersson playing y minutes is not the reason why the Canucks have been losing.

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Sooooo why is EP playing like dog crap then? Could it not be that he came to camp not as prepared and focused as in past seasons? Legit question..........he definitely isn't playing like the Petey we all know and love. He didn't just lose his talent - however it's obvious that he hasn't played well at all to start the season and IMO that can be attributed to focus.

There's such a fine line for professional athletes between being a superstar and not - relax a little and this sort of play happens. I'm not being some bitter old geezer here (I'm not even that old). Just what I observed this offseason with him being a bit more determined to have fun and show his personality then being on the ice and training.

Who knows? Maybe his GF dumped him? Maybe he has a sick family member? Whatever it is he certainly doesn't look like he has in the past..........I'm sure he will figure it out however I tend to think my thoughts on this are at least somewhat warranted.

(And the IG thing was just a reference to state that perhaps his focus wasn't quite what it should've been this offseason - this is going over many of your heads - please try to keep up)

ok boomer

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Lets calm down and be patient folks. Patience, as always, patience

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think losing Markstrom and Tanev has had a real negative impact of EP and hughes.
Didn’t he ask for Toffoli to be brought back as well.

I think he saw the team was improving then Benning due to his vast mistakes pulled the rug out from underneath him.

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad