Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Didn’t he ask for Toffoli to be brought back as well.

I think he saw the team was improving then Benning due to his vast mistakes pulled the rug out from underneath him.
Agree, Toffoli was a relief to the whole team, Miller's comments are revealing on that aspect.
Im sure the whole team, especially the core, was sunk to watch all three leave.

Just specifically Markstrom and tanevs leaving impact on ep and hughes seems obvious. Neither look like the same player, and were very close since they came in the league. Real mentors gone.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It’s weird. I remember seeing lots of clips off him training throughout the offseason (sadly it seems lime it was with Canucks staff).

I don’t see anything physically different. I thought he looked dopey to start and I now just completely in his own head.

He absolutely didn’t look cross crease for passes from his shooting spot last season. I wonder if that wasn’t a coached wrinkle to the PP.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
ok boomer
Cracks me up jagger is piling on Pettersson after 6 games yet is one of bennings biggest supporters for 6+ Seasons.

Interesting post by evolving wild above.

Biggest supporters? Errrrr..............I call a spade a spade. When Benning does good things I laud him for it. When he is a jackass I call him on it..........just because I am not on board with your Hate Train don't get things confused. At this point I am probably 50/50 for keeping him or firing him (I actually wouldn't mind him being fired so we could cut out all of the negativity around here).

And piling on Pettersson? Kid is a superstar - we need him to play that way - he's not had a great start to the season. He's going to be fine in the long run and I'm thrilled to have him - he does however need to up his game. The effort on that giveaway last night was ugly.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
his confidence and body language seems off. injury? maybe? its not like him to go pointless in 6 games now.. since game 1 against the oilers. maybe he needs to drop down line 2 or 3 to get his groove back.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Pettersson's clearly in some weird funk. Something's screwing with his head, and whatever it is, I hope he sorts it out soon. He's the team's best player, and one of far too few genuinely good pieces on this roster. Without him it's a real struggle, especially with the terrible depth and covid ward of a blueline.

Saying it's because he spent the summer doin' it for the 'gram instead of the team is an embarrassingly awful take that should be beneath anyone over the age of about 12.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
It seems like he's just like the rest of the team and just aren't mentally or physically prepared for the season. Just as simple as that. The entire team just looks like they're going through the motions and they don't have any structure. If he wants to be an elite player in the league he's gonna have to work like crazy.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The pressure is on this kid to be the savior of this franchise.

Horvat is rolling right now, give Horvat those prime offensive minutes and let Pettersson work through his slump taking some defensive matchups so Horvat can feast. I don't think it will hurt his game and it's not like I'm suggesting we put him with Beagle and Roussel or something, just a slight temporary adjustment to his deployment

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser
Miller - Pettersson - Pearson

Reactions: nucks88 and David71

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
It seems like he's just like the rest of the team and just aren't mentally or physically prepared for the season. Just as simple as that. The entire team just looks like they're going through the motions and they don't have any structure. If he wants to be an elite player in the league he's gonna have to work like crazy.

I think this post sums it up. Players from all leagues aren't really invested due to the circumstance.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Cracks me up jagger is piling on Pettersson after 6 games yet is one of bennings biggest supporters for 6+ Seasons.

Interesting post by evolving wild above.

Running out of excuses for Benning as the Gillis glue holding this team together continues to depart.

When you give these posters the choice of admitting Benning cannot build a roster outside of high draft picks, or blaming the slumping star, it's not surprising they pick the latter. The other would involve admitting they've been embarrassing themselves for years.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
When Hughes is at the point in the PP, he tends to keep the puck to the left or shoot himself, rather than play EP on the right hand side, even though EP is in a better position to shoot and has a better shot. It was the same last year. This is part of the reason why he don't get PP points, while Hughes and the other guys do.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
When Hughes is at the point in the PP, he tends to keep the puck to the left or shoot himself, rather than play EP on the right hand side, even though EP is in a better position to shoot and has a better shot. It was the same last year. This is part of the reason why he don't get PP points, while Hughes and the other guys do.

I think part of that is because other teams players cheat so much towards Petey that the left side has a lot more space.

Reactions: I am toxic

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
And some people in this thread said he wouldn’t care or change in a contract year :facepalm:

Ray Ferraro is talking about it right now on TSN
Said he hated contract years and performed terribly as it is sooo much pressure. But had 40 goal campaigns the year after contracts
Then you got guys like Jeff Skinner who had a 30 and 40 goal campaign in contract years.

said he can’t imagine what kids are going through now as if you look at some comparable these kid are getting $40 million in bonuses over the course of the first two seasons.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Seen 4 games of Vancouver this year, and this is the only game on tonight.

Elias Pettersson has been one of my favorite players to watch in the league
It's so peculiar how such a truly dominant possession player who seemed to slow the game down, and was one of the few canucks who can tilt the ice most shift.

Now all of sudden he is chasing the puck as he never has it. It has to be one of the more night and day transformations of a player during one off-season. I have no idea what happened to him. Hopefully he figures it out for you guys.

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Seen 4 games of Vancouver this year, and this is the only game on tonight.

Elias Pettersson has been one of my favorite players to watch in the league
It's so peculiar how such a truly dominant possession player who seemed to slow the game down, and was one of the few canucks who can tilt the ice most shift.

Now all of sudden he is chasing the puck as he never has it. It has to be one of the more night and day transformations of a player during one off-season. I have no idea what happened to him. Hopefully he figures it out for you guys.

It is truly mind-boggling. he had 18 pts in 17 playoff games only a few months prior... he does look a bit out of shape now

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
It is truly mind-boggling. he had 18 pts in 17 playoff games only a few months prior... he does look a bit out of shape now

Reading through a bit of the thread from a Vancouver perspective. I forgot he is at the end of his ELC, so he needs a new contract.I agree with you. He does appear to be out of shape. He can get the most powerful agent in the league. His agent can't negotiate with with his level of play if this continues. He was arguably the worst player in the Vancouver lineup tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad