Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Pettersson seems to be playing outside himself and trying to play with a bit more bite. He got worked over a lot in the playoffs and he's the kind of player that aggressively works on weaknesses in his game. My take is he probably decided he need to get comfortable playing a more grinding style and is also getting tougher minutes ( I think?) which is taking him out of his offensive flow.

It's a bit like golfing, where you start tinkering with your swing and things regress until you figure it out again.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Pettersson seems to be playing outside himself and trying to play with a bit more bite. He got worked over a lot in the playoffs and he's the kind of player that aggressively works on weaknesses in his game. My take is he probably decided he need to get comfortable playing a more grinding style and is also getting tougher minutes ( I think?) which is taking him out of his offensive flow.

It's a bit like golfing, where you start tinkering with your swing and things regress until you figure it out again.

Was thinking along these lines to, like he is trying to play playoff hockey crashing around and backchecking ham, but this is more like preseason with points

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Was thinking along these lines to, like he is trying to play playoff hockey crashing around and backchecking ham, but this is more like preseason with points

I just hope he didn't hurt himself. He laid a hit on the forecheck in the first or second game where he really threw himself into it.

All in all I think it's great that he wants to hold his own physically. Players need to fight their own battles these days.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
With Pettersson's slow start and his strong defensive play I wouldn't even mind giving him some tougher matchups and giving Horvat the softer offensive matchups

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Also, Pettersson probably should have 2 goals by now. He had one ring off the bottom of the crossbar and stay out. He also got a bad pass from Boeser on that 2 on 0 break.

If those go in nobody is talking about Pettersson right now.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
More like: at which stage is the criticism relevant? It has been four games, without a pre-season. There are alot more players being rusty than just Pettersson out there, league wide. After 10-20 games, sure, but 4? Ridiculous.
The player admits it. The coach admits it. Why can't you?

Reactions: Breakers

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Here's a spooky Petey stat from last season...

Vs American teams - 64Pts in 53Gp (99Pt pace)
Vs Canadian teams - 2Pts in 15Gp (11Pt pace). *note* both points came against Ottawa!

Freaky :eek:
Should a stuck Vancity in the California and Arizona division :laugh:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pettersson right now

tenor.gif

Reactions: notsocommonsense

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
He's got a nagging injury. It's why he's not taking the big booming shots on the PP. I am not sure why more people aren't so quick to realize that these players play through things and when a player like him who is so consistent, changes the way he plays or production disappears, it's typically due to playing through something.

People kept thinking Boeser's shot disappeared before admitting he's playing through an injury hurting his shot

It'll pass

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He's got a nagging injury. It's why he's not taking the big booming shots on the PP. I am not sure why more people aren't so quick to realize that these players play through things and when a player like him who is so consistent, changes the way he plays or production disappears, it's typically due to playing through something.

People kept thinking Boeser's shot disappeared before admitting he's playing through an injury hurting his shot

It'll pass
If he's got a nagging injury, why is Green putting him in the shoot out?

Reactions: Matte99

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
He get's a pass tonight cause we won but he needs to snap out of it and quick

At the end of the game tonight when the team celebrated the shootout win I saw Petterson stay seated on the bench, clearly bummed out about his play and his shootout attempt. No confidence right now at all

Reactions: Matte99

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
If he's got a nagging injury, why is Green putting him in the shoot out?

? He can still play. He was still slap passing it. What I am saying is it's hindering him. Taking a big slapper takes a lot of different muscles. That's a huge part of our PP. I am referring to why he's not putting up many points. You can still score in a shootout with an injury. And even with an injury, he's still one of our best shots to score when alone on a goalie. If you can get through a game, you can muster up a single shot in a shootout

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
You dont entirely move away from your PP strategy of setting him up for the one timer if he's 100% healthy. Especially if the other strategy you've implemented is going 0/16 or whatever it got up to. When a player isn't doing a big shot, you know it's an injury becauase there's torque on all your muscles, theres alot of twisting and muscles being engaged

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Pettersson will be fine, even if he ends up having a rough season, he’ll bounce back... this happens with young players. Remember when everyone on here wanted to give Boeser away and saying his shot is gone... bad seasons can happen. Don’t over blow it like many of you seem to do. Petey will be just fine! But we do need a much better coach, Green relied on Markstrom to make him look good and now he has no one to bail him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad