Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Welcome to the last 20 games of every NHL season.....the refs put the whistle away; the physical play and marginal hits ramp up; and players like Pettersson may as well skate around with a huge target strapped on their backs.

Obviously he's still feeling the effects of that late, cheap shot in Boston. Now Boeser looks like he's gone for awhile....and if anything happens to Pettersson or Hughes, they may as well turn out the lights at Rogers Arena. And rest assured, there are desperate teams who will do whatever it takes....even if it means targeting the best players on the opposition team.

So Green van vent all he wants to in the post-game presser.....but unless there's a push-back out on the ice, it won't matter.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Poor guy. He’s getting frustrating and pushing back . When does he end up fighting to protect himself cause no one else will?

can we find more Kesler and Bieksa types already ?

Just like it was with the Sedins, it is with Pettersson. In the end, it’s on him to fight through it and excel. No amount of “push back” from rats or goons is going to matter if he wilts against contact.

I’m not looking for anyone to come to his aid. I want him to learn, as Zetterberg and Datsyuk had to learn, the added attention is in their domain to manage.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I would also like to see us to the same thing to the other team's top players, especially if the refs are not going to call anything. Not injure them but hack/hold/chop/crosscehck/etc.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
If the canucks set the tone earlier in the season that abusing our young players wont be tolerated maybe Petey wouldnt have to take all the cheap shots that he takes. But every team knows that we dont do a dam thing. Unfortunately points are soo valuable at this point in the season that no one wants to take a retaliatory penalty since the stakes are soo high.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
is EP a top10 player in the league?

I am only like 20 so don't remember the hype around the sedins were drafted and I know they started off slow. Is EP protential the best we have ever had in terms of a young player?

we haven’t seen petey at the level of bure ages 21 and 22 yet (bure at 21 is in line with what we’ve seen so far from petey imo). but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
They were commenting on Hockey Night in Canada how shocked they were that the Flames were going at Petey they way they were, and there was NO response from anyone on the Canucks to protect their currently-fragile superstar. They seemed sort of shocked. Meanwhile, we're so used to it that it barely registered a raised eyebrow here. THIS IS NOT NORMAL ON OTHER TEAMS.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
They were commenting on Hockey Night in Canada how shocked they were that the Flames were going at Petey they way they were, and there was NO response from anyone on the Canucks to protect their currently-fragile superstar. They seemed sort of shocked. Meanwhile, we're so used to it that it barely registered a raised eyebrow here. THIS IS NOT NORMAL ON OTHER TEAMS.
We watched our star player get repeatedly punched in the face while doing absolutely nothing and end up with a penalty in the Stanley Cup Finals. This type of thing has been a normality for this team for awhile now.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Looks a lot like last year for Pettersson. Over PPG at most of the season just to slip at the end.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Just like it was with the Sedins, it is with Pettersson. In the end, it’s on him to fight through it and excel. The added attention is in their domain to manage.

Agreed. Being a tougher team to play against would deter players somewhat from being overly aggressive but if I’m an opposing player I’m going at Petey hard and finishing my checks. It’s going to ramp up ten fold in the Playoffs and should be a great learning experience for EP, Hughes & Boeser.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Is anybody else getting very concerned about Peteys skating? He just seems... hate to say this.. but seems rather weak on his legs.

I know that his game is way more than just skating/speed.. but it seems like this aspect of his game has actually regressed, since he came into the league and particular down the stretch this season.

Sometimes has that ‘newborn deer’ look in his legs. Almost reminds me of me on the ice (leg strength-wise..please.. think Gretzky comparisons..) and that’s not a good look.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Is anybody else getting very concerned about Peteys skating? He just seems... hate to say this.. but seems rather weak on his legs.

I know that his game is way more than just skating/speed.. but it seems like this aspect of his game has actually regressed, since he came into the league and particular down the stretch this season.

Sometimes has that ‘newborn deer’ look in his legs. Almost reminds me of me on the ice (leg strength-wise..please.. think Gretzky comparisons..) and that’s not a good look.

I think it’s kind of encouraging that he’s still able to dominant the game offensively even with his Bambi legs. Imagine when he fills out and works out those glutes.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I think it’s kind of encouraging that he’s still able to dominant the game offensively even with his Bambi legs. Imagine when he fills out and works out those glutes.
This is how I look at it. Maybe he'll work out with Hughes this summer and come back drastically improved. That would be frightening.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Seems like he would benefit massively from some kind of workout regime along with supplements targeted at increasing his thigh and glute muscle mass.

It’s worrying because that type of muscle is quote ‘core’ to the bodies physical makeup, doesn’t seem like something that has a ton of room for effectively bulking. Hope they can find a way.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Seems like he would benefit massively from some kind of workout regime along with supplements targeted at increasing his thigh and glute muscle mass.

It’s worrying because that type of muscle is quote ‘core’ to the bodies physical makeup, doesn’t seem like something that has a ton of room for effectively bulking. Hope they can find a way.

I'm actually a glute supplement vendor. He can certainly build this area. If Petey calls for glute supplements, I'm willing to give him 5% off his first purchase.

The guy is probably 5 years away from his physical peak. Wouldn't worry too much about his strength. The fact he's as good as he is without that base, just makes you think the upside is hard to fathom. Especially what it's going to do to his defensive game.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
PPG Center that’s +16 and been very solid defensively. He hasn’t taken shortcuts even when the offensive results haven’t been there like a lot of young players do.

if that’s disappointing I can’t wait to see what else he is capable of as he grows and matures.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

His skating has always been like that. Hasnt regressed.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Only one point in 9 goals. Doing terrible lately. A season to forget.
C'mon man. Elias Pettersson is doing just fine unless you based your entire opinion around raw points which is an incredible flaw way to evaluate players especially in small sample size. Elias Pettersson has grown as a two-way forward that is more dangerous at even strength compare to his rookie season. I don't know about you, but I prefer an EP that is effective in both end of the ice. Elias Pettersson is 4th in Evolving Hockey's GAR model. I don't see how this is a "forgetful" season for Pettersson.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He's the most valuable player according to analytics

Hughes is shiny new toy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He needs to work on his balance and strength on his skates for sure, but the rest of his skating is quite good, he just has a very jerky motion and slows the game down a lot so he doesn't always look very fast. I think part of the reason he goes down so easy though is that so much of his game is about trying to catch defenders flat footed by changing direction. If you get caught while trying to change direction quickly and your weight is unevenly distributed, you're more likely to fall down.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
OMG. He just missed a game because he was hurt, it's probably a lingering injury that (very minorly) has slowed down his very good pace.

This fan base is so insecure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad