Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Anyone know why Petey hasn't been using his one-timer barely at all this season? He had probably 10 or more of his goals scored that way last season but this year its basically gone.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Anyone know why Petey hasn't been using his one-timer barely at all this season? He had probably 10 or more of his goals scored that way last season but this year its basically gone.

Theres a guy sitting in his lane all the time. He is the type of player that will want to make the "right" play and not try to force it. I'm of the opinion that if you have that hard a shot, if they want to block it let them try. At least when we arent creating anything else.

Reactions: Love

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Theres a guy sitting in his lane all the time. He is the type of player that will want to make the "right" play and not try to force it. I'm of the opinion that if you have that hard a shot, if they want to block it let them try. At least when we arent creating anything else.

Yes, hence more slap passes

Personal rant: Like, how does Ovi get so effin' open seemingly all the time???

"Well, there's that 700 goal scorer who one-times it on the powerplay, what should we do?"

"Let's leave him wide open and see what happens."

Like seriously Eastern Conference, are you brain dead? Stick a man on him and play the rest like a 4 on 3 you idiots.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

it's the same with boeser this year. teams figured out our powerplay and we haven't figured out a way to counter them taking away our shooters' lanes by finding new openings

to some degree i think petey's also adjusting to everything not running through him as qh has gotten better and better

Reactions: I am toxic

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
it's the same with boeser this year. teams figured out our powerplay and we haven't figured out a way to counter them taking away our shooters' lanes by finding new openings

to some degree i think petey's also adjusting to everything not running through him as qh has gotten better and better
Teams haven’t really figured out our power play. It’s just not finishing through Pettersson as often as teams are cutting out that option and leaving others open. Hughes , Miller and Horvat in the bumper spot have been big beneficiaries.
So we have been finding new openings, and our power play has carried us all year.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
It's funny seeing people saying that EP is useless in the second half when he's still PPG. I don't think we should expect him to be McDrai, especially when the Canucks have the pieces to run a more balanced offense than the Oilers can.
This.

Reactions: I am toxic

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Teams haven’t really figured out our power play. It’s just not finishing through Pettersson as often as teams are cutting out that option and leaving others open. Hughes , Miller and Horvat in the bumper spot have been big beneficiaries.
So we have been finding new openings, and our power play has carried us all year.
I think EP is a bit too static at times on PP. When he stands still waiting to one time the puck opponent just need to stand in lane.

Reactions: Star Ocean

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Put Tyler Motte on the first line with Pettersson and Miller.
I don't know why, but something tells me this would work. It's a premonition from the heavens.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't know why, but something tells me this would work. It's a premonition from the heavens.
I was thinking Eriksson hasnt really had a fare shot at top line duties with Miller and Pettersson. Could work, hes gonna be in the lineup, hes gonna be a top 6er under Green, might as well go top line

Reactions: mathonwy and vanuck

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I could see that happen if Desjardins was still the head coach.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

It's really not. Compared to EP, BB's been wide open on the PP. Why? Teams have scouted him and recognize that his shot is no longer the laser it once was.

As for EP, I see him making little adjustments game to game and it's starting to pay off. My only gripe with him is his insistence to chip it in and battle along the boards. Appreciate the sentiment, but at weight and stage of physical development, he's terribad at it. So much so that Miller actually avoids passing it to him to maintain the cycle.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
How does Petey’s Adavande stats match up to the other elite centres of the league?

Among "Goals above replacement", and "Wins above replacement"

He is the top centerman in the NHL in department.
Marchand and Panarin are around him, but again both are wingers.

next closest centerman is Brayden Point then Eichel.

GAR takes into account even-strength possession and production, power play production, shorthanded situations, as well as penalties drawn and taken.
His even strength possession relative to his team is very very very good. Like 2011 Sedin good

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Among "Goals above replacement", and "Wins above replacement"

He is the top centerman in the NHL in department.
Marchand and Panarin are around him, but again both are wingers.

next closest centerman is Brayden Point then Eichel.

GAR takes into account even-strength possession and production, power play production, shorthanded situations, as well as penalties drawn and taken.
His even strength possession relative to his team is very very very good.

Damn that's insane. I'd like this if I wasn't limited right now.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Damn that's insane. I'd like this if I wasn't limited right now.

Yeah thats kind of the Hart Trophy debate right now.
Draisaitl is putting up ridiculous stats, but he gives A LOT back so that's where he would be dinged analytically. Plus his December was bad, Which is an understatement.

Im not saying Pettersson is in the Hart Trophy debate at all, this just more outlines what he does for his team from a quantitative standpoint.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Elias Pettersson :amazed::bow:

It’s stuff like this (and EP’s other underlying metrics) that make me think his ceiling can be a Datsyuk type player. His corsi numbers, shot suppression numbers, scoring chances for/against, are all insanely good.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Forget the standings, the real thing to look at is the 2017 nhl draft scoring race !

four more points for petey and he’ll tie nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad