Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Elias Pettersson :amazed::bow:

Interesting that Stecher is the 2nd highest rated D-man according to this after Hughes. I've long been an advocate of him getting more ice time but even I didn't think he had this big of an impact, relatively speaking. Thanks for sharing.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Mack/Mcdavid and Drai are probaly the only centres I’d take going forward over EP.

member 290103

Interesting that Stecher is the 2nd highest rated D-man according to this after Hughes. I've long been an advocate of him getting more ice time but even I didn't think he had this big of an impact, relatively speaking. Thanks for sharing.

Just more evidence that people here who call him "trash" and advocate that he just be dumped for any other replacement level defenseman, don't understand what they are seeing. Just because he is not big, is not fast, does not put up a ton of points, etc. does not mean he is a bad player.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

It's who he has been saddled with all year along with him being on the powerplay. His ES point production isn't that bad especially given who he gets to play with.

Last year him and Hutton looked good playing big minutes with Tanev and Edler out. Now he doesn't score with a limited role on the team, what a shock.

Just more evidence that people here who call him "trash" and advocate that he just be dumped for any other replacement level defenseman, don't understand what they are seeing. Just because he is not big, is not fast, does not put up a ton of points, etc. does not mean he is a bad player.

It's similar to Tanev when he was new. He wasn't physical and didn't score much, so he must be bad.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by Sutter's result. So it's not like I was nailing it either.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

It's who he has been saddled with all year along with him being on the powerplay. His ES point production isn't that bad especially given who he gets to play with.

Last year him and Hutton looked good playing big minutes with Tanev and Edler out. Now he doesn't score with a limited role on the team, what a shock.

It's similar to Tanev when he was new. He wasn't physical and didn't score much, so he must be bad.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by Sutter's result. So it's not like I was nailing it either.

Just realized I overlooked Edler, who's actually 2nd, so Stechy's #3 which is still very, very solid compared to the other D-men.

I think anybody expecting Rafferty to come in and replace him just like that is in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: I am toxic

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
was just watching some games from the 2000s..., I think this off season, Petey needs to pick the brain of Foppa. Petey's weakness this year is his balance. Opposing players know that a shove to his lower back almost always unbalance him, moreover, I notice that he leans forward in his stride too much when receiving passes. His stance needs some tweaking for sure, Forsberg is unmovable in possession, along the boards, back facing opposition, so much of his power stems from his thighs. Lower body and faceoffs should be the main focus if we dont make playoffs. Cannot imagine how much more effective he will be if he can stay on his skates.

Reactions: Index

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
On another note, something is up with his wrists/hands

Weak passes, not shooting, dropping stick way too much

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I could see that happen if Desjardins was still the head coach.

The obligatory WD dig. It's been three years folks...

...also getting a kick out of all those hand wringers that claim that Petey is "still injured". That goal last game should put paid to that theory...

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The obligatory WD dig. It's been three years folks...

...also getting a kick out of all those hand wringers that claim that Petey is "still injured". That goal last game should put paid to that theory...

That goal didn't rely on wrist strength. So yeah . . .

giphy.gif

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah he's definitely nursing a hand or wrist injury. He passed up grade A one-timer opportunities last few games on the PP. You could even see Miller and Hughes work the opposite side of the ice and Elias played decoy or setup man.

He's skating really well though, and his stick handling has been ok. So I think he's gotta take it easy on those harder shots to not worsen whatever he has.

And if you doubt me, I've got a doctorate from Couch Potato University College Institute.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
That goal didn't rely on wrist strength. So yeah . . .

giphy.gif

You strike me as someone who is always going to use the "injury excuse" to explain anything less than stellar play from Elias; Naslund had a cult of fans who were constantly saying he had some kind of "secret" injury as well. If you consider him injured now I have bad news for you; he will never be 100% healthy so get used to it...

Reactions: Gargat

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You strike me as someone who is always going to use the "injury excuse" to explain anything less than stellar play from Elias; Naslund had a cult of fans who were constantly saying he had some kind of "secret" injury as well. If you consider him injured now I have bad news for you; he will never be 100% healthy so get used to it...
No, I just see the game better than some. Am guessing Petey will have surgery as soon as the season ends or eliminated from playoffs.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No, I just see the game better than some. Am guessing Petey will have surgery as soon as the season ends or eliminated from playoffs.

I'm guessing he will be having minor surgeries almost every off season to make up for the wear and tear of the NHL. Lots of players do that.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson needs to play to his strengths, which is a smart focused game utilizing his high IQ & skill. He can’t be getting tangled up with defenders or get frustrated when he gets hit or interfered with. Great player.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I don't want to start another thread about it so i'll post here. Will Vancouver match a sheet that doesn't involve 4x1st? Because for 10,5x8 i wouldn't mind doing a sheet for Detroit.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I don't want to start another thread about it so i'll post here. Will Vancouver match a sheet that doesn't involve 4x1st? Because for 10,5x8 i wouldn't mind doing a sheet for Detroit.

Yes. It would take a much higher offer to even consider not to match it. Pettersson's production on his ElC is just below Matthews'. Market value for Pettersson is 10-11 million.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Yes. It would take a much higher offer to even consider not to match it. Pettersson's production on his ElC is just below Matthews'. Market value for Pettersson is 10-11 million.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

The only disadvantage that we have is Hughes and Pettersson being RFA at the same time. If both were offered a deal like that, and both signed, we’d be in rough shape. We’d still match it, but it would f*** us from a cap perspective for a couple of years.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Great job on the video! I’m having some major EP withdrawal....give me some games, fans or no fans I don’t care :hockey:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad