Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hurricanes fan coming in peace with a question about Ferland.

I’ve read that he primarily play at RW for Calgary, did he spend any time at all playing LW?

I see an unbalancing of the wing depth happening in Carolina, and was curious if Ferland could slot in on the left for us.

Thanks in advance, hope Noah and Lindy work out in Calgary.
Ferland is a natural LW, he played mostly LW before he was put onto the top line, then played almost primarily RW since.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving makes splash at NHL Draft by acquiring Hanifin, Lindholm

Only 16 defencemen in the NHL have netted more points than Hamilton (94) over the past two seasons, yet the Flames had soured on him in favour of two players familiar to new coach Bill Peters.

Hamilton scored more goals in each of the last two seasons (17 and 13) than Lindholm (16 and 11) did for the Hurricanes. Asked about Hamilton’s fit, he said “we want guys that want to be in Calgary.”

“We’re excited about the players we’re getting,” Treliving said. “The players that we moved, those are good players … Dougie’s a terrific player. We wish them all the best and we’re happy with the return.”
“When you do your homework on Noah, I love the drive,” Treliving said. “He wants to be a really, really top player. He’s prepared to put in the work. When these guys come into the league, it’s like their going to change the world in their first year or two years. He’s already a real good player and there’s upside.”
Calgary’s defence corps was touted as one of the best in the NHL last season, but it never really played close to that level. There was just something that was off.

“I do think that bringing in Elias and Noah, they’re going to fit right in,” Treliving said. “They’re good teammates. Part of what we look at this is make sure we have good chemistry and a good mix in our dressing room. Both guys were real excited.”

Treliving not exactly being subtle with his statements.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hurricanes fan coming in peace with a question about Ferland.

I’ve read that he primarily play at RW for Calgary, did he spend any time at all playing LW?

I see an unbalancing of the wing depth happening in Carolina, and was curious if Ferland could slot in on the left for us.

Thanks in advance, hope Noah and Lindy work out in Calgary.

Hi, assuming you're on a timeline where this post reaches you:

Ferland is a natural LW who was converted to a RW so that he could play opposite Gaudreau in a Hossa-light type setting. Defensively, Ferland's best seasons were 2015-16 and 2016-17 which were both spent predominantly on the left side. Offensively, Ferland did respond well to one-timing shots on his inside hand on the right, but he's a deadly shot anywhere on the ice so it's really just a matter of how you want to use him. I would argue he plays more instinctively on the LW overall, but he's comfortable on either side and it's just a matter of how you want to use him.

Reactions: stingray94

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Plus we just got two absolute man-rockets

What does this mean?

...so he’s a pouty child? That’s an unfair thing to say and I realize it’s Eric Francis but that’s not s good look for Hamilton if any of it is true.

Again, taking it with more than a grain of salt.

Personally, I've been wondering something slightly deeper. Knowing Dougie preferences in dressing up as characters for hospital visits and scholarly pursuits and such, I was wondering if there's some sort of preferences (hobbies or otherwise) that were also rubbing teammates the wrong way.

The uppity loner stuff from when we acquired him from Boston starts to make sense, but not as negative as it sounded when we first acquired him. It seems like he likes to keep to himself which perhaps gets in the way of truly bonding with a team. This with his preference to have his brother around with him. He comes off as a goof at times which isn't an issue in general. But when the team got serious he perhaps didn't get serious maybe? Which wasn't an issue until somehow it became a distraction over a longer period.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Tre is mentioning locker room issues, then something had to have been done with Hamilton. I don't expect Tre to sewer Hamilton so we'll never know for sure, but there has to be something there.

I will say that the lead up to the Ducks series a few years ago and the series itself, Hamilton was our best d-man and I still think he is a superstar, but Hanifin is also quite good and I can see him and Valimaki anchoring the left side on defense for the next 10 years after Gio is done.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Tre is mentioning locker room issues, then something had to have been done with Hamilton. I don't expect Tre to sewer Hamilton so we'll never know for sure, but there has to be something there.

I will say that the lead up to the Ducks series a few years ago and the series itself, Hamilton was our best d-man and I still think he is a superstar, but Hanifin is also quite good and I can see him and Valimaki anchoring the left side on defense for the next 10 years after Gio is done.

Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-*Hopefully a stud that we draft and develop* would be an excellent top 4 if all reach their potential. In fact if there's one player we need to draft with our 1st next year if we finish middle of the pack to 20th overall is younger Honka, I'm really high on him and he might go under the radar.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Also we now have a fifth of that 2013 first round draft class, lol. Mackinnon to Calgary incoming, book it

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What does this mean?
Paul Bisonette and Ryan Whitney run a podcast with Barstool sports now called Spittin’ Chiclets (highly recommend).

They’ve used “man-rocket” to describe any player they think is a good looking guy and I was hoping there would be other people who listened to the podcast that picked up on it haha.

Reactions: Fig

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
After sleeping on it, I hate this trade less today, as the Flames improved. Perhaps not offensively (which remains nearly the same) but both players acquired are better defensively than the players who departed.

The inclusion of Fox kind of sucks, but if he’s going to explore free agency, and particularly if that’s a poorly kept secret, that’s what, a 5th round pick in compensation?

I’m disappointed that the media is choosing to smear Dougie a bit. Not nearly as bad as when he left Boston mind you and clearly it’s not an issue of character per se, he’s just a loner and he’s a bit weird. Isn’t a problem unless it affects your teammates.

We had a guy that worked with us - nice guy but wouldn’t associate with anyone off the clock (wouldn’t go for lunch, wouldn’t meet up for dinner when we had to go out of town for a conference) and would take responsibility for, but laugh off, any work errors and do nothing obvious to correct them. Dude was generally competent but completely infuriating for many of those reasons, and it was poison to our entire team. From what I’ve been hearing and reading seems like a lot of similarities to Dougie and the Flames, so I get why there may not have been a fit.

As for Ferland, I’m also hoping the Flames are calling him in late June 2019.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We got a pretty significant return for Hamilton compared to what Bruins received back. I get that Ferland/Fox are in the deal as well but I think with all the "insiders" reporting information this deal was basically out there for a week before it was announced so we were all desensitized to the announcement of it. I think if you take a step back and realize we got Noah Hanifin in addition to Lindholm that this is a great return - two young players that were top picks with upside. This is a totally different trade than the historic Gilmour/Phaneuf trades; those were just for veterans that had peaked.

We may end up losers in this deal five years from now but no one can call this trade right now. The Phaneuf deal was basically a last grasp at a Cup run and then the deal was a loss by the next season.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
In the end, the Canes might only be getting Ferland for one season and never actually have Fox sign with them. So this trade has a potential to be a real steal for the Flames in the long term. I did like Hamilton as a player quite a bit, but one thing I'm not going to miss is he tended to take some very undisciplined penalties at bad times in the game.

I don't really pay very close attention to the east, so I haven't seen either of the guys we got play very much, but a friend of mine who does, has said that I'm going to be really happy with both the guys we ended up getting, espicially Hanifin. Basically Hanifin is a better defensively version of Hamilton at the same age.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Paul Bisonette and Ryan Whitney run a podcast with Barstool sports now called Spittin’ Chiclets (highly recommend).

They’ve used “man-rocket” to describe any player they think is a good looking guy and I was hoping there would be other people who listened to the podcast that picked up on it haha.
I also listen to the podcast. Highly recommend to hockey fans.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I will always appreciate Ferland and Hamilton for what they are.

I would be surprised if Ferland puts up 40 pts again and if Hamilton can figure it out on the back end, good for Canes. We definitely sold high on Ferland.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you go back to their draft year, Hanifin had as much hype as Seth Jones did, he definitely had more than Hamilton had in his. While that doesn’t mean anything now, there’s a reason Hanifin was so highly touted. Hanifin has arguably developed as good as Ekblad. He has easily had an edge over Jones first few seasons (who was buried on a deep Preds team). Hanifin has been brought along just right and I think in 2 seasons he’s going to be a top 3 dman in our division.

People are going to love Lindholm right away. First of all it’s going to be a treat seeing another winger with that kind of skill in our top 9. Lindholm gets played in all situations, he’s a very good skater (which we need), sees the ice extremely well and also anticipates the play at a high level.

You take all these things, add it with a coach that will get more out of his players and knowing we have improved our dressing room, this team took some big steps forward already this offseason.

I love that Hanifin is such good friends with Tkachuk and Johnny, he’s gonna fit right in. Lindholm is the same age as Monahan, I feel like these 2 players are really going to make such a huge difference for us. I think Lindholm will reach another level with us and have a career best season next year.

Reactions: SKRusty and Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
If you go back to their draft year, Hanifin had as much hype as Seth Jones did, he definitely had more than Hamilton had in his. While that doesn’t mean anything now, there’s a reason Hanifin was so highly touted. Hanifin has arguably developed as good as Ekblad. He has easily had an edge over Jones first few seasons (who was buried on a deep Preds team). Hanifin has been brought along just right and I think in 2 seasons he’s going to be a top 3 dman in our division.

People are going to love Lindholm right away. First of all it’s going to be a treat seeing another winger with that kind of skill in our top 9. Lindholm gets played in all situations, he’s a very good skater (which we need), sees the ice extremely well and also anticipates the play at a high level.

You take all these things, add it with a coach that will get more out of his players and knowing we have improved our dressing room, this team took some big steps forward already this offseason.

I love that Hanifin is such good friends with Tkachuk and Johnny, he’s gonna fit right in. Lindholm is the same age as Monahan, I feel like these 2 players are really going to make such a huge difference for us. I think Lindholm will reach another level with us and have a career best season next year.
Agreed with this. I think Tre saw an opportunity to add one player to our current core group (less Dougie add Noah and Elias) and took the opportunity.

I think trading Dougie became an opportunity because of his perceived reaction to us waiving his brother (whether real or not - We can’t be sure) and moving Ferly for someone with a ton of upside. Plus we can always sign Ferly back in a year if he wants to come back.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know why so many people are upset Fox was traded. The chance of him signing with the Flames has not changed since the trade. He is going to finish his degree at Harvard and test the market. Theoretically, we could still sign him but he is going to sign with the team that pays relatively the best and has room for him to play in the NHL. That's the risk with college players.

On an individual basis Hamilton is currently much better then Hanifin, however, Hanifin is much younger and has the potential to reach Hamilton's level. On a team basis, not including potential locker room issues, I don't think Hamilton was a good fit. In particular, I think he took away from Gio's game substantially unless you truly believe Gio had regressed at 33. Splitting Gio and Brodie was always in my mind one of Glen's bonehead decisions as the pair dominated together and complimented each other far better than Dougie + Gio. While I do think Hanifin's potential might be oversold, at least he is excited to be here, has potential to reach Hamilton's level, and the discrepancy in skill level allowed us to get a player of Lindholm's calibre for Ferland.

Let's be real here, Lindholm is a far superior piece to Ferland. No offence to Ferland, but he is one of the reasons we missed the playoffs. He is a third liner who had a great playoff series against a rival who managed to get carried by our top players last season and was invisible for most of the season. Not only that, he often took away from Gaudreau or Monahan (whom I think more so in particular) taking a bad shot or giving up the puck. He was so frustrating to watch on the top line. Having a younger perennial 40 point player with much higher potential to blossom on the top line is a steal. Furthermore, after next year Ferland was going to demand way more than the Flames would likely be willing to pay. The only concern is whether the team has gotten too soft losing Ferland's weight but I think this could be fixed with the right UFA signing.

In conclusion, I think this was a fair trade. No team completely fleeced the other, however, if either Lindholm or Hanifin blossoms into what their potential could be, I truly think this will be regarded as a steal for the Flames. From a non-trade perspective, this team needed a shake up after such a disappointing season with underachievement. This substantially shakes up the core and dynamic of the team without blowing it up. I am happy with this deal.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder what this means for our drafting in the future with regards to college prospects. This is twice now in two years that we've had to move a good prospect because he didn't want to sign here.

Hickey... cause he's an Oilers fan??
Fox because of our defensive depth or didn't want to come to Canada?

Or at the trade deadline.
I thought you couldn't trade for a player that you sent away within a certain period of time

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's also entirely possible that Carolina seeks an extension with Ferland straight away on July 1st this year.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
At 23 Lindholm is poised to have great success with the Flames playing RW along side Monahan and Gaudreau.

Some of the things Lindholm Brings
  • speed to the top line's right side that has been absent for Johnny and Mony.
  • play-making ability is at least as good as Hudler which bodes well considering the history.
  • opens the ice up for Sean and Johnny with his speed as he will force the oppositions defense to respect his speed.
  • will shore up defensive short comings the first line has had all along. Lindholm is the best 2-way player that has ever been on Calgary's top unit.
Ferly was a great energy player and maybe with time he will become a true first line winger but for the time being he is likely a second or third line winger.

Lindholm's play-making and hockey IQ is leaps and bounds ahead of Ferland not to mention his the defensive capabilities Elias has.

Lindholm was pushed all over Carolina's line-up last year and this tends to hamper chemistry with teammates. Elias's versatility has made it too easy to slot him on RW, and more defensive needs where one dimensional players can't be. It is important to note that Elias only had 6 points less than Jordan Staal.

When you look at a player that is played much like Elias was last year he matches up very favorably. Ryan O'Reilly has 6 more years of experience and was played almost identically with a similar talent pool around him. Pretty damn respectable.

comparison.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Think defensive depth is the big reason why neither Hickey nor Fox were all that keen on signing. Fans don't like it but they absolutely consider stuff like that; I think it was Kenny Morrison (the RHD signed from college a while ago) who basically came out and said that was why he signed in Calgary. It really doesn't make sense to sign in a place where you have to compete with a dozen other guys when they're are much better opportunities to actually get NHL ice time out there and probably closer to home.

Also, had Fox walked as an UFA, the Flames wouldn't have received any compensation. That's only for first rounders that don't sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad