Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm not even sure what these purported character issues even are. He's introverted? He wants to play with Freddie?

I am not saying this is 100% accurate but what I heard is Dougie thought he was smarter than those around him. Including coaches, players and management. He thought Freddy should be in the line-up before others on the team.

Shannon eluded to it on the radio... The guys would go out for burgers and Dougie would go to the museum.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We needed to trade Dougie for a top 6 forward, that would clearly be upgrade but we did not do that.

We did not upgrade anywhere, just downgraded on D.

With this trade, we are still the same, don't see how we make the playoffs with the almost the same team.
Did we not make the playoffs with almost the same team the year before?

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
World Cup football and traded, guys heart must be pumping at a million beats per second right now

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Tkachuk is to play on the right:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Tlachuk
UFA/Prospect-Jankowski-Frolik
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just listened to Tre on the radio. He said he spoke to Fox’s agent, it was indicated they were going to have a problem signing him.

On Dougie, Pat asked him if he requested a trade or if there was any issues. Tre said, Dougie is a tremendous player. He said he talks to all of his players and likes to think he knows everything that happens on and off the ice. He said he weighed all information on this decision but would not comment on anything expressed in confidence.

So clearly there was an issue there.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I really like the depth Calgary has managed to acquire. Realistically speaking the Flames only need 1 player to graduate to have a very strong team.
Here is how I think the lines will shake out under Peters.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm (Look for Lindholm to take draws on his strong side)
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett
Brouwer - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Graduate

PP Look for Lindholm to play the point with Chucky on the wing with Monahan and Johnny
Second PP will be Backs Janko and Bennett

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
They interviewed Treliving on 960 and I really got the feeling that they traded Hamilton because they wanted him out of the room. When talking about Ferland and Hamilton, he kept mentioning what a quality person and quality player Ferland was. He mentioned it was hard to trade Hamilton because he was a good player but never mentioned anything about the type of person he was. Steinberg asked if Hamilton was an issue in the room and Treliving didn't deny it and was diplomatic about it just mentioning that he was keeping dressing room stuff private

*Here's the interview
http://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_demand_2017/Steinberg-Brad-Treliving-20180623-Interview.mp3

Last edited:

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Having some time to digest this, I think the Flames are better than they were last season by making this. If Brodie has a bounce back season with gio, he's going make losing Hamilton hurt less and Hafinin will at least be as good as Brodie was last season. Lindholm gives the Flames a more well rounded top 6 forward. Ferland looked like a top line player or a borderline NHLer when he went on his slumps. So At least now we have a consistent player that I think still hasn't reached his peak.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Germany dominated that match. But of course, the second I leave to get something, they score.

Flames have 24.5M in cap space. Even if Lindholm and Hanifin sign for a combined 10M, there'll be almost 15M left. After the RFA's are re-signed. there's still room for a decent forward acquisition.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sureloss:

Treliving says they keep track of all their players on and OFF the ice, but he is going to keep it internal. (with respect to Dougie)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

I'm still a little skeptical of Peters but his lack of OCD about handedness and stupid stuff like that is a promising sign.

Stone probably doesn't get moved until sometime next season, probably around the draft. And no way they trade Andersson as he's basically the only future RHD in the system.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I didn’t realize Hanifin was a LHS.

All of a sudden we need another young RHS D.
I have to believe someone is traded to give Rasmus a spot because if he doesn't turn into a top 4D our future at RD just died.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I find it hard to believe there were large locker room issues with Dougie, but there's a lot of reason to think he was more introverted and this move isn't going to hurt team chemistry. Not a fan of crapping on players who are getting traded he is the best NHL player in this deal and while Hanifin can match his Defense and to some extent passing, we're gonna miss his goal-scoring ability. Big thanks to him for his play over the last few seasons.
Ferland was a unique player esp. for the Flames who have a soft top 6, it sounds like his next contract was going to become an issue for the level player that he is. He becomes a UFA after next season at the same time we give Tkachuk and Bennett raises. Adding the stress of a UFA Ferland might limit how the Flames sign a UFA forward this season. Lindhom is a better player defensively and more versatile while bringing a similar offense with much more room to grow in that area, we can control him for a good number of seasons before UFA hits and he shoots right! The difference between him and Ferland in the long-run is going to be much larger than the current difference between Hamilton and Hanifin (plus 21 year old Hanifin may close the gap as he gains experience) and that difference is why Calgary had to add a value prospect.
Fox is an easy pick to add, he was not going to sign with Calgary easily as an East-Coast American moving to play under 4 strong D 2 more NHLers and 2 guys that are gonna be hard to keep off the roster. In my eyes, he's far from a sure fire prospect as a small Dman without an elite first step, I'd say Kylington while probably not as valuable at the moment is a similar kind of gamble and fills that niche (though he's missing some awareness coming back instead of anything physically) in our prospect pool without Fox.

If you add up the value of all the pieces as they had at the end of the year I can see why people are going to say this was a bad trade for Calgary and Carolina is going to be happy with their pieces. But I think going forward for the organization we're gaining 2 potential long term core pieces (and they are already in the NHL looking like the high-end pieces we want them to grow into) and we gave up one core piece + 2 valuable assets which I'm completely in favor of.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think most importantly, five years after the 2013 draft the Flames have 5 of the first round picks. I have faith they can finish their collection in the next 10 years or so if they really push for it.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
People think we sold high on Ferland but I do not. I think he has a 40 goal season in him somewhere to go with multiple 30 goal seasons. I don't even think he was all that inconsistent as far as NHLers go. I believe he is going to be a Brad Marchand type superstar for the Hurricanes with an expanded role.

At least we didn't trade Bennett, though.

I cant even after reading this... Do you how know many 40/30 goals scorers there are in the nhl? And Marchand?? Dude is arguably top 5 winger in the league, ferland is a questionable 3 on the flames alone

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
CAR fan here:

You guys will love Lindholm. If he ever is going to be the 50-60pt player he was drafted to be, it will be with Monahan and Gaudreau. He’s a beast on the half wall or behind the goal line on the power play.

Hanifin, man it sucks to lose him, hasn’t played up to his potential, but you can definitely see the player he can become, in flashes. His defenseive gaffes, sometimes are infuriating though. He didn’t get much PP time towards the end of last year. If he had, I think he would have easily hit 40pts.

Anyway, I wanted to ask about Fox. I wasn’t aware he was such a highly touted guy until after the trade. How’s he looked in camps, etc? What kind of projections did you guys have for him?

Here's an article on him written at the end of last season where he really got noticed as a good prospect
Prospect wrap-up: Adam Fox

The key to Fox is he's so smart offensively and it amplifies his best features stick-handling, vision, and puck rushing. Physically I'm not blown away by him, I think if he's gonna translate his elite offensive numbers to the NHL he needs to get more explosive and better on his edges (this will also help his defensive game) so I wouldn't call him a blue-chip prospect, but he has fantastic potential once he gets those things to a good NHL level.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What the **** are you talking about?

Lindholm is a massive upgrade on Ferland. He's better offensively, more versatile, more consistent, defensively Ferland can't lace Lindholm's skates. The only place Ferland has an edge is physically.

Hamilton is better than Hanifin, yes. But Hanifin is as good or better defensively and 4 years younger. He also better distributes our blueline IMO.

The difference between Lindholm and Ferland is larger than the difference between Hamilton and Hanifin

Ferland is being underrated here, Lindholm has not yet scored 20 goals in the NHL and Lindholm has been a minus player all his time in the NHL, Lindholm is a minor upgrade over Ferland not a massive one.

Dougie Hamilton had 17 goals, he could have had more, if the idiot coaches used him properly.

Fox may have not signed here but he should have gotten at least a 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad