Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I just hope we don't throw stupid money at Neal, JvR, or Perron. I hope Treliving sticks to what he said and goes out for the value guys to plug that hole in our forward group. It's gonna take a while to get over moving Ferland

I Pity The Foo

Jan 11, 2012
Victoria BC
People think we sold high on Ferland but I do not. I think he has a 40 goal season in him somewhere to go with multiple 30 goal seasons. I don't even think he was all that inconsistent as far as NHLers go. I believe he is going to be a Brad Marchand type superstar for the Hurricanes with an expanded role.

At least we didn't trade Bennett, though.
what?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Not sure if I read it here or CP, but Ferland in all of 2018 had 6 goals, 4 to start the year, 2 in the final January, February, March and April combined. I think it was 2 goals in his last 37, 1 in his last 26, 0 in his last 10. It wasn't even Gaudreau who was propping him up (I mean it was), but it was Monahan more so. When Monahan was injured those last 25 games Ferland scored 2 goals (last 10 Monahan didn't even play which makes it 35). Mony is a huge reason why Ferland had the success he did. I can remember many occasions where Ferly's goals were assisted by Monahan.

Ferlands career high without Mony and Gaudreau was 18 points and when he played with them at the end of 2016-2017 he ended up with 25 points on the year.

Lindholm is a fairly significant upgrade on Ferland. He is at minimum a 40 point guy and with Mony and Gaudreau he should easily be a 60 point guy as Mony should push 70-80 next year (he would have this year if not for injury) and Gaudreau is above a PPG.

Ferland is a hell of a guy and I will miss him on the Flames (would be happy if we brought him back next year for the 3rd line), but my point is that we shouldn't be losing our minds in losing what is essentially a 3rd liner, especially when we are getting a better offensive guy.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I cant even after reading this... Do you how know many 40/30 goals scorers there are in the nhl? And Marchand?? Dude is arguably top 5 winger in the league, ferland is a questionable 3 on the flames alone

And? Ferland just completed his 25YO season where he put up 24G 18A in 77GP. 26YO Marchand put up 24G 18A in 77GP. He was a very late emerging superstar and I believe Ferland is that kind of late bloomer based on the skill, vision, creativity, and physical dominance he has shown on the ice as well as the opportunity for an expanded role elsewhere. It doesn't really matter anymore though, we have to hope Lindholm and Hanifin show they were worth the cost.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I love Fox. Anyone that knows me will back this up, and I get he shouldn’t have been a throw in, but here’s how I see how everything went.

Treliving is talking to Waddell about Lindholm, knowing he needs a RW and Dougie is his main trading chip for various reasons. He also knows Dougie has far more value than just Elias and if he moves Dougie, it leaves a hole on D, hence enter Hanifin into the conversation. Hanifin checks the box of being a young core, controllable piece (as does Elias), all while having similar upside to Dougie.

Waddell isn’t just talking to Treliving though, he’s getting calls from multiple other GM’s. We know this because it was reported by LeBrun and multiple insiders. What I see happening is, Waddell and Tre agreed to the framework of the deal in, Dougie and Ferland for Hanifin and Lindholm. Fox was added sweetener by us as other GM’s were calling and bidding against us and Tre didn’t want this to fall through. Before the draft, Tre flat out stated that they submitted several formal offers to teams. So I think Fox was added last minute.

I think this is very probable or that Waddell requested he be in the deal. Either way, we needed to do this and are better off for it and I won’t lose sleep over someone who wasn’t going to sign here.

If one of your best prospects constitutes just a deal sweetener Carolina must've been getting some exceptional offers from other teams

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Does Hanifin have 1D potential? Sad to see Dougie go because he was going to be our 1D for the next years, but our FW depth is better with Lindholm replacing Ferland.

Unlucky that Tre couldn't pry a draft pick for Fox though.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Not sure if I read it here or CP, but Ferland in all of 2018 had 6 goals, 4 to start the year, 2 in the final January, February, March and April combined. I think it was 2 goals in his last 37, 1 in his last 26, 0 in his last 10. It wasn't even Gaudreau who was propping him up (I mean it was), but it was Monahan more so. When Monahan was injured those last 25 games Ferland scored 2 goals (last 10 Monahan didn't even play which makes it 35). Mony is a huge reason why Ferland had the success he did. I can remember many occasions where Ferly's goals were assisted by Monahan.

Ferlands career high without Mony and Gaudreau was 18 points and when he played with them at the end of 2016-2017 he ended up with 25 points on the year.

Lindholm is a fairly significant upgrade on Ferland. He is at minimum a 40 point guy and with Mony and Gaudreau he should easily be a 60 point guy as Mony should push 70-80 next year (he would have this year if not for injury) and Gaudreau is above a PPG.

Ferland is a hell of a guy and I will miss him on the Flames (would be happy if we brought him back next year for the 3rd line), but my point is that we shouldn't be losing our minds in losing what is essentially a 3rd liner, especially when we are getting a better offensive guy.
Apparently Lindholm had 1 goal after February second or something like that so it doesn't sound like he's the model of consistency.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm just so confused as to why trading a RW was required? Was there nothing else that could get this done? It's by far our weakest position so why did we have to include our 1st line RW? I understand including Fox, he basically holds no value to US since writing is on the wall he's not signing here, but Ferland was productive, fit the age group, tough and would fit great along side Bennett and Janko.

Just feels like we didn't upgrade enough on forward to justify the downgrade in defense, both on the team and in our prospect pool.
Ferland was put out there as first line RW because he played good there for about 25 games. Its not even his natural position.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, if the Flames don't add another offensive piece, it's debatable as to whether they've improved offensively at all. They lost Ferland's 40 points and gain Lindholm's 40 points plus however much he theoretically improves. For a team that already needed an offensive upgrade with Ferland on the roster, there's still more work to be done. Lots of cap space though.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Just curious as I know little about lindholm but a lot of people are suggesting lindholm and Ferland are a wash offensively. Ferland has 20+ goals due to being on the top line I don’t believe he does it again, however for his sake I hope he does.. but lindholm was taken 4 overall right? Surely there is a lot of upside there or is he peaked?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Just curious as I know little about lindholm but a lot of people are suggesting lindholm and Ferland are a wash offensively. Ferland has 20+ goals due to being on the top line I don’t believe he does it again, however for his sake I hope he does.. but lindholm was taken 4 overall right? Surely there is a lot of upside there or is he peaked?
5th overall but he's more of playmaker than a sniper.

Wouldn't be surprising if Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm doesn't work out. Or maybe Monahan threatens 50 with two playmakers feeding him. We'll see.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is faked news. If he could return a first and reported BT was looking for a first, why wasnt there a deal?

Fox is overrated severely by some Flames fan. The guys has the upside of Marc Andre Bergeron and I am being generous.

I really think it's stupid someone would drop a late 1st for him. Early 2nd, maybe.. but you still risk losing it all for nothing if he doesn't sign with you. It's been reported by some higher ups that other GM keep asking to get Fox in as a throw in, but I have never heard true evidence that any other orgs ever offered anything of true value for him. Keep in mind we drafted Fox with a 3rd. He's worth more than that to us as a sunk cost, but is anyone really going to pay a high price for a maybe who could potentially walk to a rival? This isn't even about busting. It's about serious salt in wounds if he walks.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Carolina Fan in Peace

Lindy and Hanifin are as soft as they come. Carolina has been the easiest team to play against physically the last couple of years and those two are a big reason why.

When we needed a big push after the all-star game, neither of these guys step up in any way shape or form.

As Bill Parcells once famously said "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite."

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm just so confused as to why trading a RW was required? Was there nothing else that could get this done? It's by far our weakest position so why did we have to include our 1st line RW? I understand including Fox, he basically holds no value to US since writing is on the wall he's not signing here, but Ferland was productive, fit the age group, tough and would fit great along side Bennett and Janko.

Just feels like we didn't upgrade enough on forward to justify the downgrade in defense, both on the team and in our prospect pool.

1) There is really nobody else that they want to trade and interest other teams.
2)Ferland is going to be a UFA at year end. They were going to be stuck with overpaying to keep him.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I think Lindholm has more to give offensively. Look at Teravainen. At same age, similirish numbers on the Blackhawks, but gets a change of scenery with the trade to the Canes and gets a big jump in production to 64 points.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who’s going to be our future PP QB? I always thought that was Fox.

Andersson?

A lot will depend on unpredictable chemistry with the forwards. Hanifin has that upside as do Kylington, Valimaki. It's also possible that Brodie sees another stint there - he's just entering his prime as a defenseman.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina Fan in Peace

Lindy and Hanifin are as soft as they come. Carolina has been the easiest team to play against physically the last couple of years and those two are a big reason why.

When we needed a big push after the all-star game, neither of these guys step up in any way shape or form.

As Bill Parcells once famously said "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite."

That's not good but the Canes didnt upgrade their toughness. Hamilton is one big softie and Ferland can be tough but probably in only a dozen games.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This is faked news. If he could return a first and reported BT was looking for a first, why wasnt there a deal?

Fox is overrated severely by some Flames fan. The guys has the upside of Marc Andre Bergeron and I am being generous.
I didn't say BT could get a first for him I said he should return a first as in to the right team with the right GM dealing him even a 2nd would've been fine.

Fox isn't overrated him not signing here is a tough blow to our prospect depth.

I should say I value Fox as at least a late first and don't think he got anywhere near that.

Last edited:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
High risk medium reward trade. The Ferland trade doesn't seem too huge when compared to Lindhom but you're basically trading for a younger version of Hamilton. I think that Hanifin has more upside, but Hamilton is already pretty close to top pairing material on a contender.

With the window Calgary has with their core I am not sure this necessarily helps them for another 2-3 years... assuming a best case scenario.

From an Oilers fan - also love Calgary (odd I know). I hope this works out for you guys. ;)

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
furious

I'm done with BT and while I wouldn't be excited about him getting fired or anything (no guarantee the alternatives are/will be any better let's get real), I just won't care

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
My take on the recent Calgary Flames trade:
To Carolina:
Dougie Hamilton (RH RD) - 25 years old, 6’6”, 210lb. Drafted in the first round (9th overall) in 2011.
Hamilton is a very good offensive defense-man, who has often been prone to defensive gaffs and lazy, undisciplined penalties. He has played most of his career with Top D partners Zdeno Chara and Mark Giordano, who have covered for some of his defensive lapses. Despite being a big man, he plays quite a soft game. Beginning in Boston and continuing in Calgary; there have been persistent (though unsubstantiated) rumours that he doesn’t fit in well with his teammates. Signed to the end of 2020/2021 at $5.75M per.
Michael Ferland (LH LW/RW) – 26 years old, 6’2”, 208lb. Drafted in the 5th round (133rd overall) in 2010.
Ferland is a bottom 6 forward that played quite well with Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau for several months. His career has been consistently inconsistent, a world beater one night, invisible the next. The physical play that he famously displayed against Vancouver in the 2015 play-offs has all but disappeared since his last concussion. Signed to the end of next season at $1.75M per, he will then be a UFA probably looking to at least double his salary.
Adam Fox (RH RD) – 20 years old, 5’11”, 181lb. Drafted in the 3rd round (66th overall) in 2016.
Fox is a good offensive defense-man who doesn’t appear to care much about his own end of the ice. He is a decent skater with great vision and elite passing skills. His size prevents him from having much of a physical presence. He has played for Harvard in the NCAA for the last two seasons and had refused to talk about contract offers from the Flames. This has led some people to believe that he intends to play out all 4 seasons in Harvard. He’d then become a UFA and could sign with the highest bidder.
To Calgary:
Noah Hanifin (LH LD) – 21 years old, 6’3”, 206lb. Drafted in the 1st round (5th overall) in 2015.
Hanifin is a talented “all-around” defense-man who has continued to improve every season. He seldom chips the puck out of the D zone; preferring to skate it out or pass it up to a forward. He is very skilled at O-zone entries; which should eliminate the need for some of the Flame’s “dump and chase” plays. Hanifin is projected to play on the 2nd pairing with veteran Travis Hamonic. This will allow Calgary to move TJ Brodie back to playing on Giordano’s right side, where Brodie had his greatest success. Hanifin is a RFA without arbitration rights coming off of an ELC ($925k Cap Hit, $1.775M AAV).
Elias Lindholm (RH C/RW) – 23 years old, 6’1”, 192lb. Drafted in the 1st round (5th overall) in 2013.
Lindholm is a hardworking, versatile, skilled forward who plays well in the “dirty areas”. He competes well in all 3 zones and has averaged a 52.7 FO% over 5 NHL seasons. His shot could use some improvement; while it is accurate, it’s not especially hard. He is projected to play at RW with Monahan/Gaudreau and will probably share face-off duties with Monahan, depending on which side the draw is. During his draft year, the Flames were reportedly just as interested in him as they were in Monahan. Lindholm is a RFA with arbitration rights coming off of a two year, $2.7M per contract.
Overall, I feel that this trade could benefit both teams, but I think that it will take 4 years before we know for sure.
If Carolina pairs Hamilton with Jaccob Slavin, they should have a great Top D pairing for at least 3 seasons. Ferland could help them out for at least one year; as he can play up and down their lineup. For the Hurricanes to win this trade, they would need to sign Fox and hope that he can become their PP quarterback 4 years down the road.
Among other things, Calgary apparently needed a dressing room shake-up and a Top 6 RW. I believe that it's "mission accomplished" on both of those items. They also got a little younger. Lindholm should be able to put up 50+ points playing with SM & JG, anything more will be a bonus. It will probably help that both players are very familiar with Calgary’s new coach (their old coach). For the Flames to win this trade, Hanifin will need to continue his steady development and come close to filling Giordano’s spot in 4 years.

Reactions: Deen

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Does Hanifin have 1D potential? Sad to see Dougie go because he was going to be our 1D for the next years, but our FW depth is better with Lindholm replacing Ferland.

Unlucky that Tre couldn't pry a draft pick for Fox though.
Hanifin has more 1D potential than Hamilton, who is never going to be a 1D because his defensive play is mediocre and and hasn't exactly improved by leaps and bounds. The only current drop off between the two is offensively.

Apparently Lindholm had 1 goal after February second or something like that so it doesn't sound like he's the model of consistency.
Lindholm is a playmaker, not a goal scorer. So, sure he had 1 goal after Feb 6th, but he also recorded 14 assists in that time.

Why do you think a guy who's setting offensive records in the NCAA is MAB ceiling rather than Dan Boyle or Ryan Ellis?
That's easy, I can explain it in 4 words.

Size, Skating, Subpar defensively

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I have a question. Off topic. Are we moving on from Versteeg? Have more kids play, or targeting someone like JVR?
I'd prefer JVR over Versteeg, but not sure what it would cost us. I really wouldn't want to go to long of a term on JVR.
I'm excited, this team needed a culture change. It wasn't all Gulutzan's fault. I'd rather we have movement than status quo.
It sucks when your non playoff team sits back and does nothing while the division keeps getting better around you.
Time will tell when this team hits the ice.
Cheers everyone, enjoy your Saturday night.

Reactions: Skobel24

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I have a question. Off topic. Are we moving on from Versteeg? Have more kids play, or targeting someone like JVR?
I'd prefer JVR over Versteeg, but not sure what it would cost us. I really wouldn't want to go to long of a term on JVR.
I'm excited, this team needed a culture change. It wasn't all Gulutzan's fault. I'd rather we have movement than status quo.
It sucks when your non playoff team sits back and does nothing while the division keeps getting better around you.
Time will tell when this team hits the ice.
Cheers everyone, enjoy your Saturday night.

I hope Versteeg is back. I like him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Why do you think a guy who's setting offensive records in the NCAA is MAB ceiling rather than Dan Boyle or Ryan Ellis?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Carolina Fan in Peace

Not that this isn’t a concern but Hamilton wasn’t exactly the epitome of physical play. He had height and size but rarely used it in a truly physical sense

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Carolina Fan in Peace

With all due respect, Lindholm isn’t exactly what I call soft. He has more “bite” than a lot of our current players. I’ll give you Hanifin, but he’s still young and I expect him to become more assertive with age.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Has anyone who hates the trade considered Hamilton is pretty soft too?
Lots of fanboy tears on here! Has anyone taken into consideration that it appears Hamilton’s name has been on the market for quite some time? This wasn’t a knee jerk trade and it appears this may very well have been the best offer available for Hamilton. It’s really starting to sound like a lot of the knocks we heard about Hamilton from Bruins fans were very much true. At the very least, he failed to build chemistry with his teammates, looking more and more like he may have been a problem in the locker room. Sure it sucks to lose a 25 year old, 40-50 point RD, but he’s also soft and not very good defensively. Hanifin actually has a higher projection and has produced at a high rate, at a younger age.

Ferland is not comparable to Lindholm in any way shape or form. He’s a 25 point player away from the top line. The Gaudreau/Monahan effect is real. Every player that has played with has had noticeable point increase, usually about 15 points. By that standard Lindholm should push for 60 points.....that’s a huge difference.

All and all, I’m pretty happy with the trade, but then I’m not really sold on Fox being a high end NHLer.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I’m good with this. At first I wasn’t but upon learning Fox isn’t signing, whatever. Would’ve been nice to get a mid draft pick back but I can live with it. Hanifin is a stud. People forget dmen take longer to develop. He’s only 21 and should be a bit sheltered by Hamonic.

Time to sign the Real Deal now to add more scoring.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Lindholm will get a long look on the top line but that will be the softest top line in the league IMO.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Honestly, if Brodie gets back to his level of play with gio there’s a real chance our defense is better right now with Hanafin, and dealing Ferland is risky but remember how good our top line was when they had another real playmaker on that line? This could seriously improve the team if chemistry develops.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I want to say, despite my buttload of anger, that Lindstrom and moreso Hanifin are decent, valuable players. I have nothing against them and I certainly don't hope they fail.

My previous is about who we lost (other than probably Fox, we really didn't have to) and how they compare with the return. I was a huge fan of Hamilton esp, brought a jersey and all, hated the rumors, etc. I'm pissed.

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want to say, despite my buttload of anger, that Lindstrom and moreso Hanifin are decent, valuable players. I have nothing against them and I certainly don't hope they fail.

My previous is about who we lost (other than probably Fox, we really didn't have to) and how they compare with the return. I was a huge fan of Hamilton esp, brought a jersey and all, hated the rumors, etc. I'm pissed.

I get it, I didn’t want to see Dougie traded either. But I started hearing reports the last 2 weeks that a shakeup was going to happen. After today, it is clear that there was an issue in the locker room. No one knows what it was, but something with Dougie was off and this is twice it’s happened to him in his young career. Amazing player with tons of talent, but this deal will somewhat be addition by subtraction.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ferland's inclusion in this is disappointing. This also indicates Fox wasn't re-signing here.

Adding Hanifin and Lindholm is still pretty exciting but it's debatable whether the Flames actually improved at all.

I think this also has lot to do with contractual issues as well.

Ferland, while being one of my favs, is being paid 1.75; and just had a 20 goal season. His ask in UFA next year would be sky high, meaning we lose him for nothing.

Lindholm is much more complete player than Ferly. Hanifin is a young Dougie with even more upside.

Tre still goes out and gets a high end winger in FA. Calling it now.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Has anyone who hates the trade considered Hamilton is pretty soft too?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am not saying this is 100% accurate but what I heard is Dougie thought he was smarter than those around him. Including coaches, players and management. He thought Freddy should be in the line-up before others on the team.

Shannon eluded to it on the radio... The guys would go out for burgers and Dougie would go to the museum.

No wonder they traded him:sarcasm:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
5th overall but he's more of playmaker than a sniper.

Wouldn't be surprising if Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm doesn't work out. Or maybe Monahan threatens 50 with two playmakers feeding him. We'll see.

Gaudreau gets labelled as playmaker, but he's a sniper as well. He shoots more than Monahan, has a 30 goal season under his belt and grew up a sniper.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Eric Francis:

Hamilton isn’t disruptive or hated in the room or by the media. He simply falls into the category of a player who isn’t bothered at all by losses, which rubs teammates and upper management the wrong way. Winning, and all the things necessary to do so, isn’t paramount to him. Conversely, Hamilton was clearly frustrated by the team’s decision to put his brother on waivers (after which he was claimed by the Arizona Coyotes) in January and did several things as the year wound down to demonstrate his unhappiness.

Francis: Flames make necessary move to help change dressing-room dynamic

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The amounts of posts disappearing is too damn high

It seems the website is existing on multiple serves and different posts are getting sent to different servers on some sort of randomizing system. I assume they usually sync the servers up but right now there's something broken in that. Every time you refresh the boards a different set of posts show up. It's HF Roulette.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hurricanes fan coming in peace with a question about Ferland.

I’ve read that he primarily play at RW for Calgary, did he spend any time at all playing LW?

I see an unbalancing of the wing depth happening in Carolina, and was curious if Ferland could slot in on the left for us.

Thanks in advance, hope Noah and Lindy work out in Calgary.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
My take on the recent Calgary Flames trade:
To Carolina:
Dougie Hamilton (RH RD) - 25 years old, 6’6”, 210lb. Drafted in the first round (9th overall) in 2011.
Hamilton is a very good offensive defense-man, who has often been prone to defensive gaffs and lazy, undisciplined penalties. He has played most of his career with Top D partners Zdeno Chara and Mark Giordano, who have covered for some of his defensive lapses. Despite being a big man, he plays quite a soft game. Beginning in Boston and continuing in Calgary; there have been persistent (though unsubstantiated) rumours that he doesn’t fit in well with his teammates. Signed to the end of 2020/2021 at $5.75M per.
Michael Ferland (LH LW/RW) – 26 years old, 6’2”, 208lb. Drafted in the 5th round (133rd overall) in 2010.
Ferland is a bottom 6 forward that played quite well with Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau for several months. His career has been consistently inconsistent, a world beater one night, invisible the next. The physical play that he famously displayed against Vancouver in the 2015 play-offs has all but disappeared since his last concussion. Signed to the end of next season at $1.75M per, he will then be a UFA probably looking to at least double his salary.
Adam Fox (RH RD) – 20 years old, 5’11”, 181lb. Drafted in the 3rd round (66th overall) in 2016.
Fox is a good offensive defense-man who doesn’t appear to care much about his own end of the ice. He is a decent skater with great vision and elite passing skills. His size prevents him from having much of a physical presence. He has played for Harvard in the NCAA for the last two seasons and had refused to talk about contract offers from the Flames. This has led some people to believe that he intends to play out all 4 seasons in Harvard. He’d then become a UFA and could sign with the highest bidder.
To Calgary:
Noah Hanifin (LH LD) – 21 years old, 6’3”, 206lb. Drafted in the 1st round (5th overall) in 2015.
Hanifin is a talented “all-around” defense-man who has continued to improve every season. He seldom chips the puck out of the D zone; preferring to skate it out or pass it up to a forward. He is very skilled at O-zone entries; which should eliminate the need for some of the Flame’s “dump and chase” plays. Hanifin is projected to play on the 2nd pairing with veteran Travis Hamonic. This will allow Calgary to move TJ Brodie back to playing on Giordano’s right side, where Brodie had his greatest success. Hanifin is a RFA without arbitration rights coming off of an ELC ($925k Cap Hit, $1.775M AAV).
Elias Lindholm (RH C/RW) – 23 years old, 6’1”, 192lb. Drafted in the 1st round (5th overall) in 2013.
Lindholm is a hardworking, versatile, skilled forward who plays well in the “dirty areas”. He competes well in all 3 zones and has averaged a 52.7 FO% over 5 NHL seasons. His shot could use some improvement; while it is accurate, it’s not especially hard. He is projected to play at RW with Monahan/Gaudreau and will probably share face-off duties with Monahan, depending on which side the draw is. During his draft year, the Flames were reportedly just as interested in him as they were in Monahan. Lindholm is a RFA with arbitration rights coming off of a two year, $2.7M per contract.
Overall, I feel that this trade could benefit both teams, but I think that it will take 4 years before we know for sure.
If Carolina pairs Hamilton with Jaccob Slavin, they should have a great Top D pairing for at least 3 seasons. Ferland could help them out for at least one year; as he can play up and down their lineup. For the Hurricanes to win this trade, they would need to sign Fox and hope that he can become their PP quarterback 4 years down the road.
Among other things, Calgary apparently needed a dressing room shake-up and a Top 6 RW. I believe that it's "mission accomplished" on both of those items. They also got a little younger. Lindholm should be able to put up 50+ points playing with SM & JG, anything more will be a bonus. It will probably help that both players are very familiar with Calgary’s new coach (their old coach). For the Flames to win this trade, Hanifin will need to continue his steady development and come close to filling Giordano’s spot in 4 years.
lead_720_405.jpg

Reactions: Cyrano

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
“It hurt trading Micheal Ferland,” said Treliving of the 6-foot-2, 210-pound wrecking ball who frustrated many with his inconsistency.

“I love this kid. Sometimes the business part of the game gets in the way. He’s a UFA at the end of the year and he’s a good player and they make money.”

Reminds me a little of what Sutter said after trading Prust. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Treliving go after Ferland next summer. At least inquiring if he makes it to free agency.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Definitely would've been nice to have some sort of pick coming back with Fox being involved in this deal.

I'll admit I don't know that much about Lindholm. I like that he's a RHS and can play C but based the stuff I've read about him and the highlights I've seen, I wouldn't be very happy with a caphit great than 4.75m. Hanifin seems thrilled to be here and already knows a couple guys on the team. I like that he's a lefty and is a good puck-moving Dman. But the dude was hella sheltered though in Carolina. Something like offensive zone starts 63% of the time. Let's hope Huska lives up to his reputation of being a "defenseman whisperer"

I'm not as sour on the deal as I was when it broke but time will tell if it made us better. I'm skeptical as of right now. But like I said on the first page, this trade was also about Treliving putting his faith in Brodie and Bennett which I can appreciate. Clearly he wasn't swayed with their performances in the Gully era. Let's hope they repay his trust with the results they're capable of.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hurricanes fan coming in peace with a question about Ferland.

I’ve read that he primarily play at RW for Calgary, did he spend any time at all playing LW?

I see an unbalancing of the wing depth happening in Carolina, and was curious if Ferland could slot in on the left for us.

Thanks in advance, hope Noah and Lindy work out in Calgary.
He's more comfortable on the left I would say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->