Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ehhh, maybe the trade itself is not awful but you can't see it as anything other than a huge risk putting a great amount of faith in two young players improving, who while not having bad careers thus far by any means, haven't exactly stood out other than their draft days either. Will say this for Treliving, does not sit on his hands at all. Time will tell if that proves to be a good thing or not.

Least our blueline got a bit cheaper. So does Brodie go back with Gio then? Or the mega shutdown tandem of Gio - Hamonic.

Gio - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
???? - Not Michael Stone

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mobiandi

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gonna wait to see how Lindholm compares to Ferland, all I remember is Giordano crushing him and knocking him out of a game

That was Aho. Lindholm was decidedly less noticeable in every game I watched him with the Canes. Not really that comparable, Lindholm with much better playmaking and hockey IQ, Ferland much more relied on his physical gifts. Gonna miss him and wish both him and Dougie well in Carolina.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
In terms of value

Hamilton >>> Hanifin

Lindholm > Ferland

So why the frick did the Flames add?

Should have got more back, needed to get more back.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So,

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janowski-XXX
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

or something entirely different

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm
Gaudreau-Jankowski-XXX
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamonic
Hanifin-Brodie
Kulak-Andersson

Flames still need another offensive forward

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
In terms of value

Hamilton >>> Hanifin

Lindholm > Ferland

Because Hanifin is more or less the same value as Dougie when we traded for him. 21 years old, 83 career points, but better defensively even.

Lindholm is a younger RFA, Ferland is about to be a UFA. Fox is risky due to the not signing problem.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gonna wait to see how Lindholm compares to Ferland, all I remember is Giordano crushing him and knocking him out of a game

Very excited to see hanfin, Dougie had some awful moments at the end of the season

Fairly sure you're talking about Aho getting destroyed, not Lindholm.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So,

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janowski-XXX
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

or something entirely different

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm
Gaudreau-Jankowski-XXX
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamonic
Hanifin-Brodie
Kulak-Andersson

Flames still need another offensive forward

Dube will be on the team, I believe.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think many of you see the Gio effect on Hamilton. Gio makes his partners way better. Look no further than Brodie and Hamilton.

Neither player was as effective without Gio. Dougie is a good defenseman but I don't think he is the star you think he is.

Couple that with some locker room issues and you have a guy that can be traded. Hanifin is way better defensively... Is a better playmaker... and is cost controlled for at least 6 years. He also fills a gap on the left side.

Lindholm is going to be a monster on that top line. Sean and Johnny have never had a person of Lindholm's talent level on their line and Lindholm shores up some of the defensive weaknesses that line had.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Do not like. I feel like this deal could’ve happened without one of Fox or Ferland.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In terms of value

Hamilton >>> Hanifin

Lindholm > Ferland

You are not looking at it correctly

Hamilton + Fox is really one player. By the time, Fox is in the NHL, Dougie is a UFA

Lindholm>>>>Ferland in every possible way you look at it even without considering Ferland will be UFA next year and will be overpaid Bouma style.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The smoke has been there about as long. Started with Arizona and then the strong denials from Burke and the rest. Weird.

Must have been something seriously off behind the scenes for them to want to move him so quickly after acquiring him.

I have only been telling the board that for over six months. Dougie's stats were inflated because management wanted to maximize his trade value. There were some severe character issues going back to before the playoffs in 2017.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Too early to tell for me. Have to wait and see what happens on the ice.
Our team disappointed last year, old coach is gone, a couple of players are gone. We did need changes. Can't stand status quo on a team that misses the playoffs. It's a gamble, but something had to give.
I'm willing to put faith in Peters and GMBT. Hopefully this is a trade that helps us for a long, long time.
Good luck to Hamilton and Ferland.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Site is buggy, posts disappearing all over the place

This deal makes more sense if Hamilton's value was considerably lower because of whatever was happening behind the scenes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have only been telling the board that for over six months. Dougie's stats were inflated because management wanted to maximize his trade value. There were some severe character issues going back to before the playoffs in 2017.

I’ll eat crow on what you said. I fully believe you now.

Man Treliving is such a good poker player. He sold and handled the Dougie situation perfectly. He got full value on him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm not even sure what these purported character issues even are. He's introverted? He wants to play with Freddie?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is a great f***ing trade for us.

My breakdown.

We get:

Noah Hanifin is basically a LH version of Hamilton that is 3" shorter and and 4 years younger. I would also argue that Hanifin is probably already as good as Hamilton in actual defensive play and significantly better in discipline. The difference is offensive play and Hanifin will grow into a 40+ point defenseman.

Elias Lindholm is essentially a RH Backlund that plays more physical. He's still growing offensively and playing with Gaudreau and Monahan will be his opportunity to break out in that regard. Adding his defensive play to the top line will be an absolute f***ing godsend, now suddenly 75% of the defensive responsibility on that line doesn't fall on Monahan.

They get:

Dougie Hamilton is easily the centerpiece of this deal. Losing Hamilton sucks, no doubt. But Hamilton is not without his flaws, he is most definitely the definition of an offensive defenseman, his defensive play is the weak part of his game, it's not bad, but it is only average. I am of the believe that Dougie will never be a #1 because of his defensive play and is currently only a 2/3. I am not a huge Brodie fan, but I think our top pairing was better with Brodie and Giordano than Hamilton and Giordano.

Micheal Ferland is a good third line winger, that can move up into the top 6 when in a pinch. He however is not consistent enough to be a regular top 6 forward and isn't good enough defensively to be on a defensive line. Ferland needs to be more consistent, not just offensively, but physically before he can be a legitimate top 6 forward.

Adam Fox as I have said for a while I think is massively overrated. He's smaller, doesn't skate well and is average at best defensively in the NCAA, he will get eaten alive as a pro. I think Kylington is a better prospect than Fox and I've been harsh on Kylington in the last couple years after being one of the guys that wanted him in the 1st round.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Going to take Ferland coming back here next year or Fox refusing to sign with Carolina for this to be a proper win for the Flames. Or of course, Lindholm and Hanifin exploding in a big way

Reactions: Mobiandi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fun Fact: For the next 8 days, the Calgary Flames own 20% of the players selected in the 1st round of the 2013 entry draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad