Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames traded for D.Hamilton after his age 21 season - he had 83 career points.

Flames for for Hanifin after his age 21 season - he has 83 career points.
Pete Moss of CP

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The good:

-We should be able to get Lindholm and Hanifin on long term reasonable AAV deals.
-Top line should be upgraded

The bad:

-We downgraded on the blue line
-We traded arguably our second best prospect
-Still need a RW to play with Tkachuk and Backlund unless Frolik bounces back (and even then he should bounce back on the third line)

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
As someone who has watched 50 plus games a year of the Hurricanes. I'm extremely happy with this deal.

Never been a fan of a Soft Hamilton or Inconsistent Ferland who is not a 1st line player. Fox who cares wasn't going to play here in my opinion
Lindholm ceiling is high and should fit nicely on the top line and I really like Hanifan mor of a complete Defenceman.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hox’s Hot Take:

1. This deal was made to shakeup the room. It’s clear management didn’t like the mix we had. I was/am a huge Dougie supporter, but why did we keep on hearing that he was being shopped? That to me tells me it’s liekly he clashed with some of the guys on the team. So we cashed out on him.

2. If we were going to change up the core, Peters knows the 2 guys coming in very well. He knows their personality, what makes them tick, what their usage should be. So that tells me he wanted these guys here which speaks volumes.

3. People are severely underrating Hanifin here. I honestly believe Hanifin will be a #2 or even a #1 dman. He’s a fantastic skater and puck mover, he was an all star already this season, he’s only 21, so he’s only going to improve.

4. Ferland. I said this a few days ago that I think he was going to get traded. He’s a UFA next year, he’s gonna get paid a lot, he pretty much is what he is, which is a physical, goal scoring inconsistent winger. Ferland is a really useful player, but Lindholm is a HUGE upgrade on him. Elias can play C/W, he’s just as physical, he’s much more skilled, very good defensively and I fully believe he’ll be a 60pt player as early as next season.

5. We keep Bennett over Ferland. Bennett is still very capable of breaking out and this deal only adds to our young core and extending our window to win.

It sucks we gave up Fox, but if he was the icing on this deal to get it to go through and he wasn’t gonna sign here, it’s a great use of an asset.

We are a much better and younger team. What a good deal!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Should have traded Brodie the softie

But maybe Hamilton didn't want to be here

Fox is overrated

Ferland shows up 30% of the time

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Those whining about this trade are clueless.

Dougie put up great numbers but was rumored to not be good for the dressing room. (we will set that aside for now.)

Hanifin is 4 years younger and will be cost controlled for at least 6 more years. Dougie was only on that contract for 3 more years. Hanifin is 21 only years old and playing on a team that has been heading nowhere(Dougie was on a strong Bruins team.) At this point in Noah's career his numbers are comparable (Maybe better if you factor in how good Boston was to how bad Carolina is) to Dougie and Hanifin is better defensively at this point.

Lindholm is exactly what was needed to play with Johnny and Sean. Lets remember he was selected just before Sean. Lindholm for Dougie was not a stretch then add in Hanifin for Ferly and this deal looks amazing.

This is going to be Carolina's trade that ends up like the Taylor Hall trade where everyone in Carolina feels ripped off in a years time.

FOX was NEVER signing here so he is inconsequential.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This trade will take 2-3 years to digest who won. I liked Hamilton more than most on here and I didn't actually think he'd be traded, but Hanifin is 20 freaking 1 years old and is already better defensively than Hamilton and has more offensive potential to show (not as much as Hamilton though IMO).

Hanifin and Hamilton are a lot closer than people think and really, Brodie going back with Gio opens up Hamonic and Andersson on the right side, with Hanifin and Vali on the left below Gio.

And Lindholm > Ferland any day of the week. Ferland had a good stretch of 6 weeks last season, other than that he is a 3rd liner playing with 2 superstar linemates. Lindholm is a big upgrade over Ferland, he's also a right handed shot which could be huge for the PP.

Like I said though, with how young Hanifin, Hamilton and Lindholm are, this trade will take years to see who won, and if Fox ever plays or not.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think if he doesn't mesh with the top line, he really will on the second.
Tbf, not many players have issues meshing with Backlund. But Lindholm was acquired to play on the top line which is why Ferland went the other way. If he struggles on the top line, this is gonna be a bad deal

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
I feel like Fox is kinda overrated. He’s small and his defense is lacking, not to mention he probably wouldn’t sign here and I don’t even think he’ll sign in Carolina.

He’s really good offensively though but he was never going to sign with us.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It's a pretty fair trade value-wise. As good as Dougie is his perceived value was getting a bit out of hand here in the past few weeks. He was never going to return Lindholm and Hanifin on his own.

Gotta say I'm pretty excited. Lindholm should be a clear upgrade on Ferland and Hanifin is a stud. We have a better roster than we did yesterday.

Sad to see Ferland go but I do think we might have traded him at the peak of his value. And hopefully we did the opposite with Lindholm.

As for Fox... well we might regret this day in five years a la MSL. But that's the way she goes. We have a good bunch of young D-men still.

Just need to wait for the contract numbers for the two newcomers but this is the one area where I have 100% trust in Treliving.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I like that you like balls.

tenor.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Valimaki-Hanifin could be a sexy top pair in a year or two.

Then we got Andersson who looks like a second pair guy to me. As long as Kulak or Kylington can develop into a top 4 we should be pretty solid on the back still.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland's inclusion in this is disappointing. This also indicates Fox wasn't re-signing here.

Adding Hanifin and Lindholm is still pretty exciting but it's debatable whether the Flames actually improved at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Hanifin and Dougie are equal skaters, but Hanifin is smoother. He’s also a better puck mover and smarter with not making as many turnovers. Dougie is more offensive minded but Hanifin will be a better overall dman.

Reactions: JPeeper

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I feel like Fox is kinda overrated. He’s small and his defense is lacking, not to mention he probably wouldn’t sign here and I don’t even think he’ll sign in Carolina.

He’s really good offensively though but he was never going to sign with us.

The biggest problem with Fox is that his skating was and still is suspect. He is a small defender who isn't good at defence, that's a pretty big issue right there, but you can get away with it if you can skate. I still feel Fox's upside is quite high and I hate losing him, but I also don't believe he was signing here after school anyway.

He's an undersized d-man prospect, his value was never as high as most thought it was. And Ferland is a 3rd liner who has a lot less value than Flames fans would hope. Glencross was a better and more consistent player and only got a 2nd and a 3rd. Lindholm has way more potential than Ferly.

Reactions: Yarborough

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I wish Ferly all these best! He literally grew up with the Flames and turned his life around here and started a family here. But hockey is business, he’s privileged playing the game for a living so I wish him much success in the future.

I love Dougie, the Dougie Bombs were epic and will be missed but I am sure that he was part of some lockerroom stuff. Management wanted to change up the core and he was the one moved. He was arguably our best dman...

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Gonna wait to see how Lindholm compares to Ferland, all I remember is Giordano crushing him and knocking him out of a game

Very excited to see hanfin, Dougie had some awful moments at the end of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad