• 1. Eichel 2. Pettersson 3. Matthews

• 1. Matthews 2. Eichel 3. Pettersson

• 1. Matthews 2. Pettersson 3. Eichel

• 1. Pettersson 2. Eichel 3. Matthews

• 1. Pettersson 2. Matthews 3. Eichel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Voted Matthews, Eichel, Pattersson but in 5 years who knows?

I could just as easily see it Pattersson in 5 years. My growing concern with Matthews and Eichel, at this point in their careers, is their inability to remain healthy.

pettersson just got injured for the 2nd time this year...just saying

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Remember when Laine didn't take low percentage shots, had goal scoring ability that transcended the game, and was going to have a 60 goal rookie season because he was too good to have his shot percentage fall back to a sustainable level?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why even comment things you clearly have no idea of? The Swiss teams are limited to 4 foreigners in a game. Most players are NOT foreigners, because of the rules the ones that are, are high quality and well payed.

MHL is a junior hockey league whereas Hockeyallsvenskan is not.

Last year EP's sh% in the regular season was 21.24%(44GP) and 34.48%(13GP) in the play-offs. He is obviously at an extremely high rate so far this season, but I'm sure due to his style of play he will be above average in his career. What he's been doing the last two years in Sweden is nothing short of spectacular.

3 great players that will be among the best for a long time.
NLA - sorry, that should have been "the best players in the NLA are mostly not Swiss", highlighting that the league pulls a lot of foreign talent. The top 3o-40 scorers in the league in any given year are ~75% foreign

Allsvenskan - "basically a junior league" - mostly young players, I was drawing a parallel

Don't get lost in the forest for the trees, do you agree that the NLA is a significantly better league than Allsvenskan? That was the point

no player with 500 games played in the NHL has a shooting % over 18.7 since 1990, 2 of 893 are over 18%. Pettersson is not going to maintain above 20 unless the league makes rule changes that significantly rise the average shooting rate

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Need more then 35 games before Pettersen can be considered better or as good as the other two even if he’s “projecting” better, I watch Vancouver all the time too, he is amazing for sure and I think has every skill to be in their tier one day.... and it makes sense why people would select Eichel third in the Canuck market, Eichel is the least reported on of the three by a large margin because he doesent play in Canada but if he did he would be talked about just as much.

With lil Petey's recent injury, all three seem to be pretty injury prone.

Two of eichels injuries were freak accidents and the last injury was the first day to day injury to ever occur in his entire playing career going back to when he was a young teenager.

All three have had the bug though.

LOL Eichel.

170 pts in his last 163 games as a 22 year old who’s never had a linemate hit 60 pts. All this following major injuries, playing on league low offenses (and last place teams) with the hardest match ups on a nightly basis, before going down was third in multi point games with 17 (behind two guys who play on the same line in Colorado) had the most shots in the nhl (so up there for most chances naturally) top five in assists and offensive zone possession, one of the best transition players in the league (skaters; zone entries) has the hands of Pettersson and the iq of matthews, ..also before going down was the top scoring center in the eastern conference, second best scorer in the entire east of any position, has finished 11th and 21st in points per game in his second and third seasons and is top ten right now tied with Matthews, since taking over as captain has been an excellent leader and two way forward of a team in a playoff spot, and was 6th in the nhl in scoring (all these again before being hurt)..... but yeah LOL Eichel right? I mean I guess it is kinda funny that he’s being compared to a guy who’s played 35 games and has a shooting percentage of a video game? Unless of course your just choosing him and laughing at the others, then in mistaken. You have to you know, elaborate sometimes or the joke is on you.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
People voting Pettersson above the other two already must not be fans of consistency across longer sample sizes.

To crown someone as better than someone else when theyre pacing the same yet one has done it longer than the other, is asinine to me and always will be.

Consistency is one of the biggest assets a professional athlete can have and for all we know Pettersson falters next year when he isn't shooting near 30%. Matthews and Eichel on the other hand have proven for more than a few seasons now that they can produce at their rates consistently

Matthews, Eichel, Pettersson for me until Pettersson shows he can do it for longer than half a season

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
People voting Pettersson above the other two already must not be fans of consistency across longer sample sizes.

To crown someone as better than someone else when theyre pacing the same yet one has done it longer than the other, is asinine to me and always will be.

Consistency is one of the biggest assets a professional athlete can have and for all we know Pettersson falters next year when he isn't shooting near 30%. Matthews and Eichel on the other hand have proven for more than a few seasons now that they can produce at their rates consistently

Matthews, Eichel, Pettersson for me until Pettersson shows he can do it for longer than half a season

But this thread is literally asking for a projection in five years, so you have to a little bit of assumption for all three guys, regardless of their track records to date.

Any of those three guys could plateau or keep shooting up over the next few years. Given the skills that all three have shown already, that'll be more of a function of situation and teammates than their own talents.

Serious question, though. What separates Matthews or Eichel from Pettersson as a player?

Dominant production at lower levels? All three did that. Multiple elite tools? I'd say all qualify. Immediate impact for their NHL teams? Absolutely.

And it's funny because people always bring up Pettersson's shooting % as a reason his goal totals are going to regress (totally fair, though I do believe a higher total number is shots will balance that out).

However, I think it's also clear that Pettersson has the most room to actually improve his game just given his size. He'll almost definitely never get to 200 lbs, but even another 20 lbs on his current frame will be a godsend for him in terms of board battles and maintaining possession, as well as his defensive play.

So, if I had to pick an order based on my own projection, it'd go Pettersson, Matthews, Eichel. Admitted bias, but I also think it's a completely justifiable stance.

With that said, all three of these guys will be in that tier just behind McDavid, so it's close enough that there's an argument to be made for any order.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Petterssons getting lucky? Lol really? That's the best you guys came up with? Smh
His 27% shooting would indicate that he will regress a good amount. We saw with Laine too both in his rookie season and this season. Unless EP starts shooting a significant amount more every game, his goal totals aren't sustainable. He's a good play maker though and still should be. I think fans shouldn't be disappointed if he ends his season under PPG.

I wasnt on board the Barzal hype train last season but Barzal had a year that is actually a bit more impressive and sustainable than what EP is doing this year.

I think Barzal deserves to be in the conversation with Eichel and Matthews a little bit more than EP does at this point.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
His 27% shooting would indicate that he will regress a good amount. We saw with Laine too both in his rookie season and this season. Unless EP starts shooting a significant amount more every game, his goal totals aren't sustainable. He's a good play maker though and still should be. I think fans shouldn't be disappointed if he ends his season under PPG.

I wasnt on board the Barzal hype train last season but Barzal had a year that is actually a bit more impressive and sustainable than what EP is doing this year.

I think Barzal deserves to be in the conversation with Eichel and Matthews a little bit more than EP does at this point.
This was the same argument we heard for boeser last year. Sure I don't expect Pettersson to score at a 50 goal pace, but to say he's getting lucky is straight up bs. watch the games, if you call that luck then idk what to say to you. Hot streaks and cold streaks are a thing but saying he's getting lucky is a lame way to excuse his brilliance.

Reactions: CP4

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No actually, I don't consider top shelf Snipes to be categorized under "luck". And since when does sh% relate directly to luck? I fully expect his sh% to go down but everything he has done up til now has been a result of pure skill and smarts not luck.
you just contradicted your own post in the same post...

nobody in the NHL is good enough to shoot 25% every year, it WILL go down

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
A lot of grasping at straws in this thread. All the people saying EP isn't consistent, bound to regress hard or just too small of a "sample size" are the same people who said he wouldn't make it in the NHL. Things like "he won't be making moves like that in the NHL" or "too slight to play in the big leagues" but now look at him playing even better in the NHL than in the SHL. These same people will never change their minds about EP until his career is over. By that point his "sample size" will be large enough for these people Im sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad