Euro Hockey Tour: EHT 2020-2021 • Karjala Cup • Nov. 2-8 [CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Very anemic game so far, Russians look a lot less impressive than against Finland on Thursday. But Sweden is probably a better team than Finland. Both teams have had some good scoring chances. For Russia I have liked Podkolzin, Amirov and Kirsanov. Askarov has also been solid.
Just imagine the Swedes would lose to the Czechs and Russia now. I am pretty sure they are motivated AF, which is good and makes it interesting.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
On paper, this must be the worst Tre Kronor team I've ever seen. Pontus Näsén on the top PP, never even heard of the guy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm not sure what part of "the U20 team preparing for the WJC" you don't understand. In fact I don't think that can be misunderstood.
I am not sure which part of a U20 is a senior team by design you don't understand.

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Russia is looking more and more tired. The fact that this is a junior team is starting to show.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Define senior team. I did. A senior NT is team with NO age restrction. A 17 year old can play on it. Nowhere it is stated how many players on it should be how old(except for the obvious like a 15 year old would probably be too young indeed). A U20 team IS a senior team then. They are all 18 and older. We are also not talking about language. Language can be misleading. And it's only names, not the substaance of the matter. For example it is only a junior team in English, just like the WJC is a junior championship in English. In Russian only the U18 teams and championships are called "junior". The U20 team is called differently "youth"(also applies to the championships. It's МЧМ vs. ЮЧМ), meaning they are not juniors, but rather young adults by that time, which is not that far out as they are even legally that, right? Again, that's just language intricacies. What matters is, they might be young, they might be the complete squad for the upcoming WJC, but this is completely irrelevant here. They are by all means eligible to be the senior NT. Explicitly. Again, what are the criteria? Age? What age? There is no average age or something requirement. Best team available? Obviously not. Are the finnish, swedish, czech teams the best rosters available? No. They are older. But that's what senior NTs are, different in average age as there is no restriction. You feel like you send a team of 40y.o.? Fine. 19 year olds? Just as good.

What? And if Bragin was coaching them, they would be the senior team? Good to know. Next time we just send Bragin along with 14 year olds and it is a senior team. Seriously, if Sweden decided to send ABBA as their coaching staff, I couldn't care less and would not deduct anything from that.

Apparently a small number of posters here from Finnland and Sweden are very much invested into this tournament as they are quite adamant about their concerns regarding rosters.:sarcasm:
Good thing we're not writing this in Russian, then? But they're also considered juniors in Swedish(not that it really matters)? But your response is weird.

You're saying senior has nothing to do with age, and that every team is by definition a senior team. The question is then, are junior and senior mutually exclusive? You youself argues no, but refuse to call a senior team that is both a senior, and a junior team a junior team. I'm not sure what your point is, and I'm not too sure you know what point you're trying to get at is either. Just seems like arguing for arguing's sake. Why aren't you arguing against people calling the WJCs teams: youth, or junior teams, since they're by definition senior teams too? I mean, it's just weird.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Amirov with quick hands in the SO, Podkolzin with a datsyukian move, veeery wide drag on the backhand to pull out the goalie to the side then a switch to forehand.

Do the swedish players follow hockey news? Trying to beat Askarov's legs in the SO is pointless:)

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Can you say same about 1980 USA team?

I don't really get the entire complaints about Russia sending the U-20 team, I mean, it's not like they did something "illegal" with that. If it's allowed, why not do it? And if these are "just U-20" players, then go ahead and beat them, show your experience. It's a bit like whining, really. I mean, when Sweden takes on a team like Kazakhstan or Italy, the situation is essentially the same. Should they lose, the Swedish players can't say "oh, well we were scared of being humiliated", that just doesn't fit into the hockey mentality. Players should ideally always go on the ice and show the best individual and team game possible.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Good thing we're not writing this in Russian, then? But they're also considered juniors in Swedish(not that it really matters)? But your response is weird.

You're saying senior has nothing to do with age, and that every team is by definition a senior team. The question is then, are junior and senior mutually exclusive? You youself argues no, but refuse to call a senior team that is both a senior, and a junior team a junior team. I'm not sure what your point is, and I'm not too sure you know what point you're trying to get at is either. Just seems like arguing for arguing's sake. Why aren't you arguing against people calling the WJCs teams: youth, or junior teams, since they're by definition senior teams too? I mean, it's just weird.
I sense reading comprehension trouble is strong with you.

I explicitly wrote languages fine bits do not matter.

I never wrote every team was a senior team.

I wrote a U20 team is by age a senior team and is eligible to play as a senior team. Whether you call it junior or pink or senior does not matter.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The Russian Ice Hockey Federation defined it as the U20 team preparing for the WJC, which is evidently factual. Those are their own words, not mine.

It's not disallowed, right? If they're "just a junior team", go and beat them and show how good and experienced you are. Each coach unit can choose their national team as they wish. I don't even get the issue here, to be honest. The Karjala Cup is mostly an experimental tournament anyway, so from the Russian perspective, it's probably good to let the young players get some experience. The other teams could've done the same, but chose not to.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I sense reading comprehension trouble is strong with you.

I explicitly wrote languages fine bits do not matter.

I never wrote every team was a senior team.

I wrote a U20 team is by age a senior team and is eligible to play as a senior team. Whether you call it junior or pink or senior does not matter.
I'm just trying to find out exactly what point you're trying to get at, as you seemed to get really offended by somebody calling a team full of U20's an "explicit junior team", which, it seems you agree on, but don't like it to be called that because you can also call it a senior team? So you have to excuse my confusion here, to regurgitate my statement earlier: it's weird.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not disallowed, right? If they're "just a junior team", go and beat them and show how good and experienced you are. Each coach unit can choose their national team as they wish. I don't even get the issue here, to be honest. The Karjala Cup is mostly an experimental tournament anyway, so from the Russian perspective, it's probably good to let the young players get some experience. The other teams could've done the same, but chose not to.

There are many things that are not disallowed, doesn't mean they aren't disrespectful. The Russians lose their cool even about an opponent wearing a helmet during their anthem, yet ever fail to recognize any fault in their own behavior which results in repetitive controversies that other national teams hardly ever get involved in.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There are many things that are not disallowed, doesn't mean they aren't disrespectful. The Russians lose their cool even about an opponent wearing a helmet during their anthem, yet ever fail to recognize any fault in their own behavior which results in repetitive controversies that other national teams hardly ever get involved in.

Enjoy!

See you at the Respect World Championships. Too bad Sweden won't be allowed to participate.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czechs are sending a much weaker squad in this match. I'm positive the Finns bounce back. I'm guessing this goes shootout. Really hope Spacek does well!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really get the entire complaints about Russia sending the U-20 team, I mean, it's not like they did something "illegal" with that. If it's allowed, why not do it? And if these are "just U-20" players, then go ahead and beat them, show your experience. It's a bit like whining, really. I mean, when Sweden takes on a team like Kazakhstan or Italy, the situation is essentially the same. Should they lose, the Swedish players can't say "oh, well we were scared of being humiliated", that just doesn't fit into the hockey mentality. Players should ideally always go on the ice and show the best individual and team game possible.
I would just add a few words. It is a few years when the Russian Hockey Federation started to implement the new (upgraded) development model. Their philosophy is to give their youth as much opportunities at international level as possible. Now they are just doing it. Nothing wrong with it. They will keep doing it even though Swedes, Finns & others will complain. Btw, these nations can do the same.

Why do those "NHL lovers from Europe" always complain when Russian hockey is doing something? Russia decided to implement new transfer rules with U23 players moving abroad. And who has complained? A Swede! Because this Russian policy is against human rights & other stuff. Why does a Swede care & even comment on the internal matter of Russia? The same with that team, it is up to Russia to decide who is going to any international event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad