Euro Hockey Tour: EHT 2020-2021 • Karjala Cup • Nov. 2-8 [CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Did not expect that score. Great job by the Russian U20 squad. One of the weirder tournaments I've seen in awhile. Czechs beating Swedes, teens beating Finland, a crazy mix of players..

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
extra practice at a higher level for the russian U20 team that the other U20 countries arent getting because they didnt want to send their youths.

Maybe they feel its going to be an advantage for the Russian U20 team for the WJC
Finns and Swedes cancelled their U20 games scheduled for these days. They can't blame Russia for that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden looked pretty awful. Other than Dahlen the guys just had no offense in them
Even when we beat Sweden, they usually look better. Today was not like that. I was actually calm watching the game and that never happens as it's usually over by the first. In retrospect, I wish we'd left behind some of our better players and brought more young ones.

Reactions: themelkman

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
I really liked the way Russia U20 played in this game against Finland. It reminded me of the old Soviet style of hockey of the 1980s. I read from somewhere that Larionov made these boys watch some old Soviet games from the 1980s and tries to teach them to play this style of hockey.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Even when we beat Sweden, they usually look better. Today was not like that. I was actually calm watching the game and that never happens as it's usually over by the first. In retrospect, I wish we'd left behind some of our better players and brought more young ones.
I was hoping Raska would play but they didnt get him in

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Very humiliating loss for this Finnish team ofc this isnt very good quality Finland maybe 6th-8th best possible national team with over half of this team national team rookies from Finland, but still very humiliating to lose with good/decent liiga players who are seasoned pro's 6-2 againts Russian juniors today.. Same calibre loss as againts Hungary 2009. Jalonen must be ashamed atm playing in home field so patheticly after all we are talking about defending world champion not Italy or France leveled hockey nation here. Then after all this was meaningless game firstly Wch 21 propably wont even be played it will be cancelled because of Belarus/Covid situations most likely and if it would be played its likely almost no one from this tournament would make it to any of these four team's rosters.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Jalonen must be ashamed atm playing in home field so patheticly after all we are talking about defending world champion not Italy or France leveled hockey nation here.
It's hard to blame the coach. What is he supposed to do if the whole team decides to just mail it in? If this was a club - sure, but he had what, 3 days with these guys? To many of them, this was the first NT camp at all.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Very humiliating loss for this Finnish team ofc this isnt very good quality Finland maybe 6th-8th best possible national team with over half of this team national team rookies from Finland, but still very humiliating to lose with good/decent liiga players who are seasoned pro's 6-2 againts Russian juniors today.. Same calibre loss as againts Hungary 2009. Jalonen must be ashamed atm playing in home field so patheticly after all we are talking about defending world champion not Italy or France leveled hockey nation here. Then after all this was meaningless game firstly Wch 21 propably wont even be played it will be cancelled because of Belarus/Covid situations most likely and if it would be played its likely almost no one from this tournament would make it to any of these four team's rosters.

I think it's a very different situation losing to Hungary in a symmetrical test of strength, they really did humiliate themselves in that one and the Hungarians likewise had one of their more memorable victories that they can celebrate. Russia on the other hand sending their WJC team for an additional training camp was just poor taste and disrespectful, although the hosts played like shit and have to take responsibility for that, there never was any good outcome available to them.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think it's a very different situation losing to Hungary in a symmetrical test of strength, they really did humiliate themselves in that one and the Hungarians likewise had one of their more memorable victories that they can celebrate. Russia on the other hand sending their WJC team for an additional training camp was just poor taste and disrespectful, although the hosts played like shit and have to take responsibility for that, there never was any good outcome available to them.

Aha, so the Finns' loss was a symbol of protest against Russia's disrespect? Good to know.

Reactions: lilidk

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Aha, so the Finns' loss was a symbol of protest against Russia's disrespect? Good to know.

On ice they lost because they played like shit against a team that played well. But by sending the WJC team the Russians willingly created a situation in which their opponents were left in an unfairly asymmetrical situation with no good outcome possible.

Reactions: Wooren

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
On ice they lost because they played like shit against a team that played well. But by sending the WJC team the Russians willingly created a situation in which their opponents were left in an unfairly asymmetrical situation with no good outcome possible.
:laugh:

Asymmetrical? What's next? The average age of teams will have to match before the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->