Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I don't think so today but let's agree to disagree rather than start another Tavares debate :)
It's debatable today. But I would rather have nylander on my team for the next 8 years then Tavares..

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
That might be the mistake of Leafs and Lou Lam.

Nylander and his agent have now said they don't plan on negotiating mid season, so that does give Nylander another season riding shotgun with Matthews and piling up the points potentially and in turning his demands is a higher contract.

So if Winnipeg gets Ehlers for $6 mil AAV and Leafs end up playing +$7 mil for Willie when they could have gotten a better cap hit by re-signing this year that only hurts the Leafs cap down the road.

You have to wonder if Lou said today here is the Ehlers deal to Nylander would he sign the exact same contract or think he can do better.
It takes two to tango. Nylander may have had zero interest in an extension this offseason. If I was his agent, using the logic you just did, I would probably advise him to wait.

Not necessarily a mistake by Lou lam or the leafs he didn't resign this offseason.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He wouldn't be any cheaper then nylander

Agreed. My point is that we cannot afford to overpay Nylander or anybody for that matter if we want to contend for the next decade. As such if Nylander's demands are unreasonable we can move him for a dman.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. My point is that we cannot afford to overpay Nylander or anybody for that matter if we want to contend for the next decade. As such if Nylander's demands are unreasonable we can move him for a dman.

Bit premature to worry about him having unreasonable demands though, no?

His agent will look to see how he fairs this season and he and Leafs management t will come to a compromise based on the two positions. Elhers new deal has set the base for it, but if Nylander manages to take a step forward this season (ie gets around 70+ points) folks should brace for the fact that he will likely be getting more money as a result.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bit premature to worry about him having unreasonable demands though, no?

His agent will look to see how he fairs this season and he and Leafs management t will come to a compromise based on the two positions. Elhers new deal has set the base for it, but if Nylander manages to take a step forward this season (ie gets around 70+ points) folks should brace for the fact that he will likely be getting more money as a result.

Not too worried with Lou at the helm. I see posters thinking it will take Draisaitl money to land him which should not be the case.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
To put it in perspective,

Nylander G,P/82

24g 58p

Ehlers

21g 54

With that said, Ehlers played an entire season with sheltered minutes D+2.

With that said, Nylander has potential to play at the more valuable position.

If he does get paid more, $6.5 should be the max IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's actually a luxury and a privilege to have a player who can actually demand this kind of money. These are the cap problems you don't mind having because you're accommodating superstars who are fueling a winning program. Don't overthink it. Negotiate as you ought to but don't lose sight of the big picture, which is these guys will help you win.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander could hit 80 points this year. Matthews and Nylander in the pre-season and in the first 2 games are playing very unselfish with one another, thus elevating the line. Last year both of them played selfish at times and that weakens the line both are holding the puck to long and doing things alone. When one is open they are giving up the puck and are showing excellent chemistry. Anything under 7.5 million is a bargain. The way he is playing he should command more than Marner. Nylander didnt compete for the first 45 games of the season last year, 61 points will get blown out of the water. He competes his tail off now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The more I think about it we can’t have the big 3 making 11,8,8 ish. The ideal pie in the sky world would be we have a long and successful playoff run. Sit the 3 down together and say. “Listen we can only spend what the league let’s us. This is the Max. If we could give more we would. We need to ice a competitive team and how much you take determines how successful we will be”.
Hope they all take a haircut together.

That said, it’s pretty unlikely, and I think we will have to bridge one of them. Probably willy. His dad has a long history of problematic contracts and they know the business. I think Marner with a repeat year gets about 6.5 long term. Matthews 10.5. If willy puts up 75 plus he will want Leon money.

Matthews 10.5
Marner. 6.5
Long term. I think nylander signs for under 7 only on. 5 or less contract and cashes out for big UFA early. That would give the advantage of having seperation so that hopefully you sign willy again and have a
Few years for the cap to go up for the other 3

Just pure speculation but I think willy might want 8x8 if he does well this year

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I maintain 7.5

And keeping all three will cost us Gardiner or Reilly thanks to the Marleau signing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ehlers contract is looking better by the day as comparables for Nylander and even Marner.

Ehlers was just named 1st star of the week scoring 5 goals in last 3 games, and even beat out our boy Matthews who was 2nd star.

Ehlers, Matthews, Backstrom named NHL's 3 stars
Winnipeg Jets left-wing Nikolaj Ehlers, Toronto Maple Leafs centre Auston Matthews and Washington Capitals centre Nicklas Backstrom have been named the NHL's three stars of the week.

If Ehlers and Nylander finish close in goals and points again this year, as they were just a few points apart last year, than Lou Lam has a strong case to lock up Nylander at a similar rate.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Ehlers contract is looking better by the day as comparables for Nylander and even Marner.

Ehlers was just named 1st star of the week scoring 5 goals in last 3 games, and even beat out our boy Matthews who was 2nd star.

If Ehlers and Nylander finish close in goals and points again this year, as they were just a few points apart last year, than Lou Lam has a strong case to lock up Nylander at a similar rate.

Mess is correct. Leafs fans should be cheering for the individual success of Ehlers and Pastrnak.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mess is correct. Leafs fans should be cheering for the individual success of Ehlers and Pastrnak.

Its all about proactive thinking of performance of past and future production of player comparables & their recent contracts.

The secondary benefit is that the better Ehlers and Pastrnak do, it will motivate Nylander (unintentionally perhaps) because he knows if he wants their contracts then he will have to match their production also in a contract year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Its all about proactive thinking of performance of past and future production of player comparables & their recent contracts.

There's a little more to it than that, but yes that is involved as well.

It's important to note that Nylander was essentially boxed in by those contracts, and as soon as Ehlers signed his, his representation had a decision to make in regards to either signing at ~$6MM or gambling on a big year and reaching for a Draisaitl type aav (~$8.5MM). If Ehlers\Pastrnak finish with a similar point total as Nylander, then he's ultimately forced to remain within a reasonable market range ($6MM-$7MM).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There's a little more to it than that, but yes that is involved as well.

It's important to note that Nylander was essentially boxed in by those contracts, and as soon as Ehlers signed his, his representation had a decision to make in regards to either signing at ~$6MM or gambling on a big year and reaching for a Draisaitl type aav (~$8.5MM). If Ehlers\Pastrnak finish with a similar point total as Nylander, then he's ultimately forced to remain within a reasonable market range ($6MM-$7MM).

If Nylander puts up the points I think he's going to put up, he's going to get Draisaitl money. Nylander IMO drives possession far better than Ehlers and Pastrnak. Nylander has gambled on himself because he knows that he can do better than 61 points.

Management might try to say that he's getting lots of points because of playing with Matthews but we all know that's not the case. Looking at his numbers last year, he was producing with everyone.

I think a healthy Nylander is putting up ~80 points this season. Tough to get a guy like that near 6-7M if you want UFA years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nic Ehlers ...... 5 games 5 goals 2 assists 7 points
Nylander ........ 5 games 1 goals 4 assists 5 points

Ehlers has jumped out to an early +4 goal lead on Willie.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If Nylander puts up the points I think he's going to put up, he's going to get Draisaitl money. Nylander IMO drives possession far better than Ehlers and Pastrnak. Nylander has gambled on himself because he knows that he can do better than 61 points.

Management might try to say that he's getting lots of points because of playing with Matthews but we all know that's not the case. Looking at his numbers last year, he was producing with everyone.

I think a healthy Nylander is putting up ~80 points this season. Tough to get a guy like that near 6-7M if you want UFA years.

Double check Pastrnak's possession numbers.

If Nylander goes 25-50-75 (realistic), and Pastrnak has the exact same rates he did in 16/17 over an 82 game span (37-39-76), and Ehlers improves slightly (30-40-70), then any negotiator worth their salt can identify the actual market and eliminate the outlier (Draisaitl). And that's prior to even considering Tarasenko ($7.5MM) and Gaudreau ($6.75MM).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not so sure when making contract comparisons it's all that relevant using years that came AFTER signing of a deal What matters is the context that happened at the time of the negotiation of the comparison example.

When Elhers signed his deal he had one good seasons worth of production. If he had negotiated his contract after two seasons worth of good production (including a 70+ point one) then Chevy wouldn't have been able to get him locked up at six million per, it would have been a higher cap hit.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Nic Ehlers ...... 5 games 5 goals 2 assists 7 points
Nylander ........ 5 games 1 goals 4 assists 5 points

Ehlers has jumped out to an early +4 goal lead on Willie.

we can revisit this in ~75 games. would be nice to get nylander for ehlers money though if possible.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
we can revisit this in ~75 games. would be nice to get nylander for ehlers money though if possible.

Point being this can be tracked all season long, and Leaf fans can secretly cheer for Ehlers to do well and Nylander matches him point for point all year because that would suggest the Ehlers contract is the best comparable for Nylander next deal.

Ehlers drafted 1 spot after Nylander in the same draft. Last year Ehlers 25 goals 64 points, Nylander 22 goals 61 points.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not so sure when making contract comparisons it's all that relevant using years that came AFTER signing of a deal What matters is the context that happened at the time of the negotiation of the comparison example.

This. What Ehlers, Pastrnak and Draisaitl do this year is mostly irrelevant. Sure it's nice to point at those numbers and compare them to what Nylander does but those numbers they put up weren't available when they signed their contract so it won't actually matter much at all if any.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Point being this can be tracked all season long, and Leaf fans can secretly cheer for Ehlers to do well and Nylander matches him point for point all year because that would suggest the Ehlers contract is the best comparable for Nylander next deal.

Ehlers drafted 1 spot after Nylander in the same draft. Last year Ehlers 25 goals 64 points, Nylander 22 goals 61 points.

But Elhers production this season dosnt really matter with regards to the Nylander negotiations, it's his production before he signed that new deal which matters.

A 60ish point player post ELC is worth a contract likely in the 6ish million dollar range. If Nylander puts up 70+ points he's in a different price range.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
But Elhers production this season dosnt really matter with regards to the Nylander negotiations, it's his production before he signed that new deal which matters.

A 60ish point player post ELCis worth a contract likely in the 6ish million dollar range. If Nylander puts up 70+ points he's in a different price range.

Why is that? They are comparable players
From the same draft year. Their contracts will start at the same time. If nylander has comparable production signed months apart It shouldn’t matter. When they do arbitration they don’t care about the month they are signed.

I still think he signs for lower years say 6 in the 6.5 range. If his contemporaries are performing similarly to him he will
Get paid similarly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad