Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have in no way said or indicated that.

Players that sign early use a smaller sample size, and trade the chance for a better contract with another good season for the immediate safety of a contract. That's nothing new.

I put absolutely no value in that decision. I was talking about how they relate as comparisons only.

All I've said is that their production after signing their contract doesn't change how the contract itself works as a comparison.

If Connor Brown becomes a 100 point player this season, we're not going to use his contract as a comparison for other players, because that's not the player he was when he was signed.

Not in any way did I make a comment related to what we should expect from upcoming RFAs. All I did was comment on how contracts work as a comparison.

Seriously, Mess, if you want to have a conversation with people, respond to what they actually say. Don't invent stuff that you can argue against.

I feel your pain. The part in red - I feel like I'd like many people on this forum to read this and pay close attention. Or maybe it's just Pookie, not sure. :laugh:

Just having some fun with ya Pookie, don't take it personally. ;)

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
David Pastrnak was drafted in the same draft as Nylander.

He put up 75 games 34 goals 36 assists 70 points and got a $6.66 AAV deal. [,933 PPG]

If Nylander puts up 30+ goals and 70 points is that not a good comparable for his next deal?

I'd rather spend a little more and get 8 years. The first couple years with Matthews/Marner/Nylander might hurt but after that it'll be fine.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Or he takes a team friendly deal to win here. We dont know yet.
Or he gets into sophomore slump for 15 games, misses comparables' benchmarks and then signs for 5.5M.

Maybe. It's true this is all idle speculation.

But based on how well he's playing so far, I'd say folks expecting him to be in the lower end of the salary spectrum may be in for a bit of a surprise.

We'll just have to wait and see.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
He might get $5 million a year...I am thinking $25million for 5 years

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
no he will not. Did you read this thread? He is probably getting 6-6.66 x7 or x8 if his production this season matches his comparables and he has good ones to outperform here to get to 7 or 8 mil range. Oilers being stupid with Drai does not set the bar higher.
Only chance is that salary cap will go up much, but we all hear there is resistance among players to raise that.
So because this thread said so it must be true lol, when he puts pen to paper I am certain it will be much closer to my numbers

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The only way to stop this machine is to give Nylander his own line immediately. He has to have one in the future anyways but if the leafs let Matthews and Nylander keep shredding the league without their contracts then we are destined to pay big.

Yes together they are amazing but apart they will create two great lines and two great lines is better than a single amazing line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wonder how much cost of living will factor into this.

Ehlers plays in Winnipeg and Nylander in Toronto. A person can own a house with property for the price of a condo in Toronto.

Does an agent build this into price. Ehlers at $6 mil = Nylander at $6.5 mil because of Winnipeg vs Toronto costs even if Ehlers and Nylander produce similar points as contract comparables?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Ehlers plays in Winnipeg and Nylander in Toronto. A person can own a house with property for the price of a condo in Toronto.

Does an agent build this into price. Ehlers at $6 mil = Nylander at $6.5 mil because of Winnipeg vs Toronto costs?
It might factor into what a player wants, but it won't factor into what they can reasonably demand.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It might factor into what a player wants, but it won't factor into what they can reasonably demand.

Depends

Stamkos took $8.5 mil from TB because of 0% state tax and cost of living benefits.

So they showed that Toronto would have had to offer him ~$10.5 mil contract/season to make Stammers take home pay equal.

So cost of living of Florida vs Toronto benefits (via cost of living) a better AAV team Cap hit to Lightning.

Stamkos gets the same money in his bank but TB gets $8.5 mil cap hit vs Toronto ~$10.5 mil of the same $76 mil team ceiling.

So did Ehlers take less AAV $6 mil because of the same reason of take home pay?.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Depends

Stamkos took $8.5 mil from TB because of 0% state tax and cost of living benefits.

So they showed that Toronto would have had to offer him ~$10.5 mil contract/season to make Stammers take home pay equal.

So cost of living of Florida vs Toronto benefits (via cost of living) a better AAV team Cap hit to Lightning.

Stamkos gets the same money in his bank but TB gets $8.5 mil cap hit vs Toronto ~$10.5 mil of the same $76 mil team ceiling.

So did Ehlers take less AAV $6 mil because of the same reason of take home pay?.
I think taxes might be a different thing compared to living expenses though. One is directly related to what you get from your contract, the other has to do with what you do with it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would echo the sentiment that taxes certainly part of any contract negotiation, unsure though about broader cost of living elements.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Does an agent build this into price. Ehlers at $6 mil = Nylander at $6.5 mil because of Winnipeg vs Toronto costs even if Ehlers and Nylander produce similar points as contract comparables?

People with that much money don't really care since the property is an investment. I'm sure Bozak has made a ton of money on the value of his condo.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You're in for a rude awakening if you think Marner and Nylander are as good as Eichel.

Buffalo has a history of overpaying players, so any comparable to Sabre players are ignored by NHL GMs. ROR, Okposo, Moulson, Gorges.

Nylander could justify fitting in between Pasta and Leon. Matthews # 2 behind Matthews.

B

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't think cost of living is a factor for people signing multi million dollar deals.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->