Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Okay as most of you/myself found out this morning as I did, Ehlers signed a 7x6per deal. Personally I think this is a fantastic deal. I think both Ehlers and Nylander are very comparable. In the wake of this signing and hoping to lock down a core piece of the TML organization moving forward what do you think is reasonable?

8 X6.5 is equitable for both sides IMO.

Thoughts?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Okay as most of you/myself found out this morning as I did, Ehlers signed a 7x6per deal. Personally I think this is a fantastic deal. I think both Ehlers and Nylander are very comparable. In the wake of this signing and hoping to lock down a core piece of the TML organization moving forward what do you think is reasonable?

8 X6.5 is equitable for both sides IMO.

Thoughts?
Ehlers/Pastrnak are probably good comparisons at present. I'm not sure what the season holds and it's currently not a possibility to take the center position into account.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so now they're very comparable because you want Willie to sign for similar money?

LL's done well so far to sign our own guys to reasonable deals (outside of Hyman) but if i'm Nylander i'd bet on myself , play out the year and go for Drais money if not more .

i really like Ehlers but Willies ceiling is much higher imo and while i'd be thrilled if we could sign him for this type of deal i think it'll be a tough sell on the teams part

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've always said Nylander and Marner will be in the 6.5-7M range.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I hope we lock him up now, 8 years, in the 6 to 7 million range.
I think in a few years it will look like a massive bargain.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
on this board all i've read is Willie is the better player with the higher upside now that we want him to sign a comparable deal they're comparable ?

Higher upside I can see, perhaps. However, that is very subjective.

But to date through their age 20 seasons, they are almost the exact same player. Its hard to find such a close 1 for 1. Their age 20 seasons were almost verbatim, with Ehlers being more productive at even strength (albeit with more TOI), Nylander being more productive on the powerplay. Nylander gets the edge in possession numbers.

Anyone indicating that they are not profoundly close is likely biased (in one direction or the other).

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

But to date through their age 20 seasons, they are almost the exact same player. Its hard to find such a close 1 for 1. Their age 20 seasons were almost verbatim, with Ehlers being more productive at even strength (albeit with more TOI), Nylander being more productive on the powerplay. Nylander gets the edge in possession numbers.

Anyone indicating that they are not profoundly close is likely biased (in one direction or the other).

This is true. I think people preferring Nylander see a greater potential upside. I think we haven't seen the best of Willie yet, but I have no clue whether Ehlers has the same potential.
I believe contract signings are based more on performance than speculation, so yes, Nylander should be comparable to others like Ehlers and Pasternak.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I agree but the bias seems to disappear when we want to sign him . It'll be no different than the people who keep saying Marner might be as good or better than Eichel changing there tune when he'S up for a new contract .

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I agree but the bias seems to disappear when we want to sign him . It'll be no different than the people who keep saying Marner might be as good or better than Eichel changing there tune when he'S up for a new contract .

That's just crazy talk.

I understand the annoyance with the eb and flow of people's opinions to suit a given narrative. Best thing you can do is call them out, take their opinion with a grain of salt, and move along.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No, that's just a classic error. If one group of people says something and another group of people says something else, it does not mean that the original group flipped their opinions. Different people have different opinions. Unless you have specific people saying Nylander is better and are now saying he's the same as Ehlers it doesn't mean anything. You are just letting subjective memories play into a storyline.

I think Nylander has a higher ceiling and should end up getting paid more. But it is up to Lou to keep the contracts under control. Can't afford to be as sloppy with money as Edmonton has been.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Really depends on his season but I see him being better than Ehlers so I think his deal will be 6.25 or 6.5 minimum. With Ehlers at 6M though, we probably won't have to go over 7 for Willy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That Ehlers deal is gonna be clutch in negotiating with Nylander

Ehlers ($6.0 mil) was taken 1 spot after Willie in the same draft.

Pastrnak ($6.66 mil) also from the same draft.

But I can see Johnny Hockey Gaudreau ($6.75 mil) might be a comparable for both Nylander and Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad