Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Nylander is not getting any less than $7 mil per.

Anywhere from $7-9 mil per based on how he does this season.

Exactly. I would go as far as saying I believe the Leafs would have given him $7M per this offseason. But the player expects to have a huge year riding shotgun with Auston all year. It's been a very small sample size, but in games against NHL lineups, they have looked very good this year. I fully expect they will lift each other in terms of points, which will in turn lift the value of their new deals.

It's a weird spot to be in. Obviously the organization wants all three kids to get as many points as possible, but as they do, it's another dollar that will need to go to keep them. It's a good problem to have.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Chemistry on the top line with the franchise center? Check.

Potential to be a PPG player or even better in the very, very near future? Check.

Likelihood of centering his own line eventually and/or being moved to and from Matthews wing when needed? Check.

I don't know about you guys but that sounds like a Draisaitl-like asset to me. He may not match Draisaitl's season points-wise this year but the "Leafs tax" and pressure on management to lock him up could give him the leverage.

I hope we steal him for $6-7M but if he has the year most think he will have that would be a pipe dream.

I have always thought Drai is Nylanders comparable for exactly the reasons you laid out. He's either the Kurri to Matthews Gretzky or he's the Malkin to Matthews Crosby. Either way, he's getting paid.

Now, is possible Lou plays hardball with the kids and doesn't give them 8 year deals right away, maybe some bridges are given out. But I just don't see that happening.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The people scoffing at the contract he signed and definitely the people saying Marner is better.
I can't speak for others but I don't think Marner is better today. I do think that when all is said and done he could have a better career than Eichel. I don't see why that's so outrageous

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
The onus is on the players as well. Do they squeeze the organization for every last penny, or do they see the big picture and what is advantageous to long term winning? If all three have huge years and just look to maximize their own salary then the Leafs may be wise to move one of them out. Especially if they are coming off a great year. Obviously Matthews is going nowhere, but Willy or Mitch may have to be moved if both are looking for Drysaddle money, which is a ridiculous contract imho. I would hope we could get both ( mitch & willy) for 7.5 mil MAX, if not then I could see a trade happening.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe it wouldn't exactly be a "bad" thing because there is the very real chance Nylander didn't even want to sign this off season but there is inherent value in signing player's to cheaper deals before they hit their potential. Obviously if he is worth 8 you pay 8 and don't mind....but if you could have got him for 1.5 less a year ago it's probably the route that should have been looked at.

but if he doesn't want to sign, what is Lou supposed to do, put a gun to his head and say sign now or else? if he doesn't want to sign - he doesn't. the risk runs both ways he could have a crap of a year (which would suck) and that could lose him money.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The onus is on the players as well. Do they squeeze the organization for every last penny, or do they see the big picture and what is advantageous to long term winning? If all three have huge years and just look out to maximize their own salary then the Leafs may be wise to look and move one of them out. Escpecially if they are coming off a great year. Obviously Matthews is going nowhere, but Willy or Mitch may have to be moved if both are looking for Drysaddle money, which is a ridiculous contract imho. I would hope we could get both ( mitch & willy) for 7.5 mil, if not then I could see a trade happening.

exactly. and quite frankly, that's what i see happening. like if you want to chase the money - go ahead - but they'll get people they can afford.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Chemistry on the top line with the franchise center? Check.

Potential to be a PPG player or even better in the very, very near future? Check.

Likelihood of centering his own line eventually and/or being moved to and from Matthews wing when needed? Check.

I don't know about you guys but that sounds like a Draisaitl-like asset to me. He may not match Draisaitl's season points-wise this year but the "Leafs tax" and pressure on management to lock him up could give him the leverage.

I hope we steal him for $6-7M but if he has the year most think he will have that would be a pipe dream.
to me at 8m he holds no more value then kessel did and i had 0 interest in having him here at that contract and neither did this management group.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
IMO Nylander is closer to Eichel than he is to Ehlers.

Will be interesting to see what he gets.

I don't think there's a case to be made for that as a contract comparable right now, not having been an NHL center for an extended period of time really negates Nylander's ability to use Johansen/Draisatl/Eichel/McDavid as comps, especially in a year where Pastrnak/Ehlers and especially Drouin (because he's a possible future center too) signed. I think he needs to have a Kane-like year to warrant anything over $8M unless he's moved to center and can't imagine the team would do that to themselves in negotiations

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The league is changing, and stars are getting paid big money earlier.

I always find 8( strange when folks want management to nickel and dime stars (or expect stars to take team discounts), or even worse want a star traded because they feel they're asking for 1-2 million too much in salary, but then don't bat an eye when a depth player gets overpaid.

Stars win championships, carry line's, and give you a reason to tune into games. It's better to pay a player big money during their prime year's (when they're actually playing at their peak) than to give them a bloated retirement deal that they'll never live up to into their mid to late 30s.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Important to note that Nylander has 1 more RFA year left than Ehlers. On an 8 year term Nylander would get the same number of UFA years that Ehlers got here. 5 RFA + 3 UFA, Ehlers got 4 RFA + 3 UFA. Nylander's deal on 8 years could in theory be even cheaper if they were the exact same player because it's got the extra RFA year on the front.

Of course Nylander isn't going to sign for less than 6, and after this year will probably be a much better player then than Ehlers is now at the time of signing. But this bodes very well for us, and a great deal for Winnipeg.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Wouldn't the Leafs want to wrap up Matthews first ?

And then Willie and Mitch ?

Isn't the order important ?

You gotta wrap up 1C in today's NHL.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

If you can manage to get Willy and Mitch for 7-8, and Matthews only scores 15-20% more then them, then its harder for him to command 50% more. In theory.

There are those who believe Edmonton could have got Draisatl cheaper if they'd done him before McDavid.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
No urgency to get Matthews done yet. Nylander is further along and is due first.

Do you think the players get unofficial official offers from the team based on performance and then hold out if they think they are worth more ?

With the risk they get injured and lose it all.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

The whole point of getting Nylander signed now is so you can hopefully get him signed for cheaper.

Worry about Matthews and Marner next summer when they are eligible for contract extensions. If we can get:
Nylander 8 x 6.5-7
Marner 8 x 7ish
Matthews 8x 10.5-12

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Not necessarily. The Leafs would likely save money signing him today vs. after next season when his statistics are likely to be far greater. You lock up Nylander prior to the huge break out, then Matthews\Marner when they're eligible, rather than all three at the same time at roughly 70+ points each.

Its the smart move. Tessio was always smarter.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

That didn't work out great for the Oilers with McDavid and Drai. Nylander could be extended now and contract runs out July 1st, 2019. Matthews can only be extended first at that point. You always try to get an extention done before the contract runs out if you can.

If you sign Matthews first to say 10 million, then that's a team ceiling for the rest of the guys to point to. Well I'm only 2.5 worse than Matthews, I should get 7.5 million. Really that doesn't mean much in negoiations when players are that different. But seeing recent deals of Pastrnak and Ehlers I'm willing to bet the Oilers wished they signed Drai before McDavid blew the roof off RFA contracts. Not sure anyone else had even hit 8.5 on an 2nd deal before that, and Drai likely wouldn't have gotten that much had he signed before McDavid blew that roof off.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The whole point of getting Nylander signed now is so you can hopefully get him signed for cheaper
But if I was Nylander I wouldn't care about making 6 per or 7 per if I knew I'd be playing with Matthews.

Giving up 8 years of my life is a big deal.
8 million more on top of 48 million isn't a lot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What are the rules ! I don't know. You have to be in the league a certain length of time til you can be extended ?

You can only be extended in the last year of your current contract. Or if your current contract is a 1 year deal you have to wait until Jan 1st to re-up

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad