Salary Cap: Ehlers signs 7x6, Nylander signs ?????

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
it is in my books. Eichel is not a 10m player, 7.5m for O'Reilly, no thanks(and i really like him), 6m for okposo, ummmm no thanks.

What doesn't make them worth the money? The fact that they're Sabres? They're all very good players.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
it is in my books. Eichel is not a 10m player, 7.5m for O'Reilly, no thanks(and i really like him), 6m for okposo, ummmm no thanks.
Okposo is the only bad value signing of those 3, the other 2 are probably market value

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ouch regarding that Eichel extension. It's arguable that all of the big 3 are better than Eichel.
One for sure is and the other 2 can easily prove to be. If all 3 come in under 23 it will be great, under 25 fair.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Its an interesting point and observation.

When comparing players on skill their ceilings seem to be much higher, but when talking contracts the comparables and price tag don't seem to align.

I've always found $$$ comparables a more accurate measure of a player values (more objective debate measure).. Nylander here more in the Ehlers/Pasternak range than Eichel\Draitsaitl. IMO

If Eichel gets $10 mil and Marner gets $7 mil and Draisaitl gets $8.5 mil and Nylander gets $7 mil then the players from their same draft class comparables that went ahead of the Leaf players seem to be valued >> based on the contracts they get.

I don't always agree on a lot you say, but I agree with you here.

Comparables and ceiling are two different things when talking contract.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Ehlers is a terrific comparable to Nylander. They are incredibly close.

If we lock Willy up for 6.5 or less then I’d be thrilled.

We need some really good contracts for these young guys if we are going to retain talent long term.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ouch regarding that Eichel extension. It's arguable that all of the big 3 are better than Eichel.

Substitute the word arguable with outlandish and you have it right but I can't fault you for your optimism :)

Only Matthews projects to be equal to or better than Eichel. Is it possible the other two surpass him? Sure, but it is not probable at this point.

This deal restores my faith in the GM's of the league. That Draisaitl signing was just awful but also scary.

My faith is restored we can get the big 3 signed for less than 24 Mil. If Matthews breaks a 100 this year...well that number might have to be revised but currently I am expecting 10 for him and under 7 for the other two but no less than 6.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander is better than Ehlers. He will get closer to $7M AAV I think.

If Lou can find a way to get Willy signed for $6M, he is a magician.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There's a reason Nylander hasn't signed yet. There's a good chance he has an 8 year * $6.5-7M offer on the table. But he probably thinks he's as good as Drai or maybe even Eichel. He's got a knack for outperforming expectations at every level. So he's betting on himself to better last year's totals. If he does, he'll likely get in the $8-9M range for 8 years. If he has another campaign similar to last season, he'll sign something in the 6.5-7.5M range.

Matthews has locked in his bottom dollar at $10M thanks to Eichel. If he has a huge season in 17-18, he might be looking at McDavid money on July 1st.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
You might be right. There is no argument. They're all better:

Matthews: more goals/points as a rookie
Marner: more points at the same age
Nylander: better rookie season

You're in for a rude awakening if you think Marner and Nylander are as good as Eichel.

Ehlers has pretty much had an identical career to Nylander in terms of development and production. Looks like a great comparable to me for a contract.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's a reason Nylander hasn't signed yet. There's a good chance he has an 8 year * $6.5-7M offer on the table. But he probably thinks he's as good as Drai or maybe even Eichel. He's got a knack for outperforming expectations at every level. So he's betting on himself to better last year's totals. If he does, he'll likely get in the $8-9M range for 8 years. If he has another campaign similar to last season, he'll sign something in the 6.5-7.5M range.

Matthews has locked in his bottom dollar at $10M thanks to Eichel. If he has a huge season in 17-18, he might be looking at McDavid money on July 1st.

That's a pretty big season to demand that kind of money. What's he getting, 50+goals and 90+ points?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's a pretty big season to demand that kind of money. What's he getting, 50+goals and 90+ points?

For Matthews or Nylander?

If Matthews puts up another 40 goal 85-90ish point season between now and his his next contract he's probably going to sign for a bit more than 10 mil. It will depend on how close he gets to McDavids point totals.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander is better than Ehlers. He will get closer to $7M AAV I think.

If Lou can find a way to get Willy signed for $6M, he is a magician.

Nylander is not $1M greater than Ehlers. Lou will get Nylander done at the right amount as he did Kadri and Rielly. If not, we go after Tavares on July 1st. Shhhhhhhhh.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Matthews is better I agree.

Marner more points because Eichel missed half of the season.

Nylander better rookie season being 3? years older than Eichel when Eichel was in his rookie season.

Look, I'm a huge fan of the leafs and the big 3, but only Matthews is better than Eichel and that is not arguable.

:walrus::walrus::walrus::walrus: Nylander is only ~5 months older than Eichel.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander is not $1M greater than Ehlers. Lou will get Nylander done at the right amount as he did Kadri and Rielly. If not, we go after Tavares on July 1st. Shhhhhhhhh.

Now while I hope he's signed for as cheap as possible, if he puts up a 70+ point season I'll be very surprised if he signs for less than 7 million

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Im certainly not as panicked as I was when the Draisaitl deal was done now.

Lou (and team) have a good track record when it comes to negotiating RFA contracts so im not too worried. And now they have comparisons in Ehlers and Pastrnak.

If they go long term with Nylander, I can see a 7-8 year deal at 7 mil per season. Maybe a bit lower if they can get him to sign NOW, as opposed to after a big upcoming season. But even with that, if he scores 70-75 points this season, he isnt going to get much more than that 7 mil for 7- 8 years IMO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Now while I hope he's signed for as cheap as possible, if he puts up a 70+ point season I'll be very surprised if he signs for less than 7 million

Well Pastrnak put up 70 points with the Bruins last season so that salary range is probably a good comparable.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You're in for a rude awakening if you think Marner and Nylander are as good as Eichel.

Ehlers has pretty much had an identical career to Nylander in terms of development and production. Looks like a great comparable to me for a contract.

I prefer Ehlers to Eichel as well especially now in terms of value. Spectacular deal by Winnipeg for Ehlers. I too hope the comparable is Ehlers not Eichel when contract time comes for Nylander and Marner.

I get it. We only want to compare Eichel only to Matthews.

Here's a cold fact: Eichel got close to 20 minute per game last season (19:55). The production differentials between Ehlers (17:29), Matthews(17:38), Nylander(16:01) and Marner(16:49) to Eichel is buried in the ice time handed to the players.

Points per 1,000 minutes TOI:
Ehlers 44.63
Matthews 47.7
Nylander 47.03
Marner 47.14
Eichel 46.14

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I don't know guys, I'm afraid Nylander is going to follow the Draisaitl path and put together a big enough season to look for $8M next summer. After a strong season he will be very comparable to Draisaitl when he signed his deal, even down to the possible C/RW interchangeability.

I think Marner has a better chance of settling into Ehlers pay grade next summer than Nylander does.

My gut feeling:

Matthews $11M
Nylander $8M
Marner $6.5M

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure why Eichel is so underrated around these parts. I think this year will open some eyes.
Who's under rating him? He's an exceptional talent like the Leafs 3. Perhaps they are being under rated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad