Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Right now he wants to make the smart play, but as he gains confidence we will see more creativity I believe.

Reactions: maplepred

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I only watched the first period and a bit of the second before switching to a different game. In the bit I watched, Tolvanen seemed to struggle a little. It's nothing too concerning, but early on he made two passes into the receivers' feet and on another sequence he was sort of floating near center ice and the puck went off his skate sending the Sabres the other way on a rush. And then shortly after that he went soft into the boards to get a puck and easily lost the puck battle. I noticed that Laviolette benched him for a couple of shifts after that.

It wasn't all bad, though. He did back check nicely a few times and he seemed to really be focusing on his positioning in the defensive zone (something I assume the coaching staff has been working on with him).

Considering this was only his 5th NHL game, my observations are nothing to be too concerned about. He clearly has some skill, and with enough time I think the deficiencies in his game can be rectified. He is still very young and the commentators mentioned that Laviolette has been impressed with his attitude and work ethic in practices. Some might think that's just lip-service, but Laviolette doesn't strike me as the type of coach that would compliment a young player like that unless it was deserved. If anything, he has a reputation for being very hard and demanding on young players, so I will take those words at face value.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I noticed he wasn't near competitive enough on the boards in the Chicago game too. My guess is that's what keeping him from being an NHL player. He was losing puck battles very quickly in both games.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Tolvanen did not get much ice time at all last night. Kind of hard to do much when your bottom of the team in ice time as well.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Not unexpected at all. It was a tight game. Coaches are going to roll the veterans more often than not.
Yes I understand this. Just saying it is hard to get a grasp on what he can do with very limited minutes and this sample size is not enough to judge his play.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And to be frank, why aren't we playing him? He can't be worse than Fiala is right now and on a team currently lacking goal scoring he at least has a shot at it.

Reactions: predfan24

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Saving games? He couldn't offer that much more to justify burning a year off his ELC? Why not send him back then? Maybe they want to get him some more experience training with and watching the team from close range?

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Intrigued by him.

What's the word on what the Preds are doing with him?
Seems to be quiet on the team front.

He is developing in the AHL. Only reason he is up now is because of injuries.

Saving games? He couldn't offer that much more to justify burning a year off his ELC? Why not send him back then? Maybe they want to get him some more experience training with and watching the team from close range?

Send him back where? Whether he is in the A or with the big club he is on his ELC now.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
He is developing in the AHL. Only reason he is up now is because of injuries.

Now he is developing by watching from the pressbox.... I'd want him on the ice.

So, safe to say he is up until players return? Why the F aren't you guys playing him, he CAN play at this level for sure.

I assume he will return to the AHL, soon?

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Now he is developing by watching from the pressbox.... I'd want him on the ice.

So, safe to say he is up until players return? Why the F aren't you guys playing him, he CAN play at this level for sure.

I assume he will return to the AHL, soon?

No, for sure they won't scratch him for an extended period of time. He'll be sent back down if Lavy doesn't play him. He seems to be on a really short leash with Lavy. It doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind as we are absolutely hurting for scoring. I'd rather play Eeli and see him struggle and produce nothing than play Rinaldo, Salomaki, and even Gaudreau. Those guys aren't going to produce anything.

Reactions: dingbathero

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I would imagine Lavy’s thought process to be with the current state of the team that they will have to win low scoring games. He likely thinks Eeli could be a liability defensively.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I would imagine Lavy’s thought process to be with the current state of the team that they will have to win low scoring games. He likely thinks Eeli could be a liability defensively.
I thought Eeli was not to bad defensively. I mean he can obviously use work but you think Rinaldo is good defensively? Or Grimaldi?
At least tolvy can score unlike those two.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
And to be frank, why aren't we playing him? He can't be worse than Fiala is right now and on a team currently lacking goal scoring he at least has a shot at it.

Fiala has 6 points in his last 8 games. That’s bad?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If we're struggling offensively, I don't think Fiala should be on the list of guys that should be considered as scratches for Tolvanen. He at least has offensive ability.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Fiala has been infuriating to watch this year. You just see that the guy has all the talent in the world, just for some reason isn't able to put it together. If he ever does, I can see him being a 55-60p player, maybe even 70p in other teams.

But for Tolvanen, it's not like he was awful defensively in the games we played and he has the offensive instict and the skill to score when given a chance, the quality not a lot of our players possess right now. I just think they scratched him because the opponent in this case was too strong. I think he'll dress at home again.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Tolvanen has not been a defensive liability in the AHL, but I appreciate that the NHL has bigger, faster and smarter players.

He is better at going around people than battling for the puck on the boards. The current Milwaukee team has a problem with that. I have seen the Ads lose the puck several times when there were 3 of them and 2 of the opposition along the boards. I am not the only fan to notice this fault by the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad