Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Fiala has been infuriating to watch this year. You just see that the guy has all the talent in the world, just for some reason isn't able to put it together. If he ever does, I can see him being a 55-60p player, maybe even 70p in other teams.

But for Tolvanen, it's not like he was awful defensively in the games we played and he has the offensive instict and the skill to score when given a chance, the quality not a lot of our players possess right now. I just think they scratched him because the opponent in this case was too strong. I think he'll dress at home again.

When Fiala got to Milwaukee, he was like that. He tried to do too much by himself and he was pressing too hard. When he relaxed, his game looked better immediately. My guess is that he is trying to pick up the slack in scoring. He would be better off playing his usual game, but he doesn't seem to be doing that this year. A lot of people have mentioned Fiala's turnovers this season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
When Fiala got to Milwaukee, he was like that. He tried to do too much by himself and he was pressing too hard. When he relaxed, his game looked better immediately. My guess is that he is trying to pick up the slack in scoring. He would be better off playing his usual game, but he doesn't seem to be doing that this year. A lot of people have mentioned Fiala's turnovers this season.
It's been an all season deal. I think he's been pressing trying to get a bigger contract and it's back fired on him.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't mind sitting Tolvanen here and there, every 3-4 games. It's good to let a kid sit and watch to get his mind right again and keep from getting overwhelmed. Though I agree he has certainly not been through worst player since coming up.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't mind sitting Tolvanen here and there, every 3-4 games. It's good to let a kid sit and watch to get his mind right again and keep from getting overwhelmed. Though I agree he has certainly not been through worst player since coming up.

I don’t know why rinaldo is even playing at all now that Watson is back. If Watson was never suspended we would have never even signed rinaldo. He’s a waste of a roster spot. I say let Eeli play top six mins until forsberg or arvy get back.

Your top wingers right at this moment should be fiala, smith, tolvanen, jarnkrok. Ryjo and sissons as top two centres.

Bottom six is still very deep with Watson, Hartman, bonino, salomaki, gaudreau and Grimaldi. Although I think Grimaldi and gaudreau are kind of useless personally but will have to do until injury bug lets up.

Reactions: Tex76

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don’t know why rinaldo is even playing at all now that Watson is back. If Watson was never suspended we would have never even signed rinaldo. He’s a waste of a roster spot. I say let Eeli play top six mins until forsberg or arvy get back.

Your top wingers right at this moment should be fiala, smith, tolvanen, jarnkrok. Ryjo and sissons as top two centres.

Bottom six is still very deep with Watson, Hartman, bonino, salomaki, gaudreau and Grimaldi. Although I think Grimaldi and gaudreau are kind of useless personally but will have to do until injury bug lets up.

Tend to agree on Rinaldo. Grimaldi has been a pleasant surprise, he's been everywhere. I think we should roll with:

Tolvanen - Johansen - Smith
Fiala - Jarnkrok - Hartman
Sissons - Bonino - Watson
Salomaki - Gaudreau - Grimaldi

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Tend to agree on Rinaldo. Grimaldi has been a pleasant surprise, he's been everywhere. I think we should roll with:

Tolvanen - Johansen - Smith
Fiala - Jarnkrok - Hartman
Sissons - Bonino - Watson
Salomaki - Gaudreau - Grimaldi

I like this, but I would prefer to see sissons and jarnkrok switched. Sissons is stellar and I think could produce a lot more than we know if given the minutes. Very underrated

Reactions: Scoresberg

The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Feb 14, 2005
Ottawa
So Tolvanen gets called up to fill in for a huge chunk of the offense that’s sitting on the IR, he gets two points in his first game and then he gets healthy scratched two games later? How the heck does that make any sense? Very odd decision by Laviolette.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I'm of two minds here. First, Tolvanen needs to play top 6 minutes to succeed, yet asking a player his age to play top 6 for a team that plays a heavy game right now the way Nashville does is asking for trouble. This makes me think he'd be better off in the AHL until he gets stronger and more confident.

However, on the other hand, having Tolvanen up with the big club, practicing with them, learning from the vets and the coaching staff, and getting a bit of playing time isn't necessarily a bad thing. Admittedly, it wouldn't be a good situation long-term, but for a few weeks I don't think it necessarily hurts his development, and it might actually help in some ways.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm of two minds here. First, Tolvanen needs to play top 6 minutes to succeed, yet asking a player his age to play top 6 for a team that plays a heavy game right now the way Nashville does is asking for trouble. This makes me think he'd be better off in the AHL until he gets stronger and more confident.

However, on the other hand, having Tolvanen up with the big club, practicing with them, learning from the vets and the coaching staff, and getting a bit of playing time isn't necessarily a bad thing. Admittedly, it wouldn't be a good situation long-term, but for a few weeks I don't think it necessarily hurts his development, and it might actually help in some ways.
Sometimes, what is best for the team might not match what's best for the player. He is in Nashville because we need him here. Replacing him with Rinaldo does not help us win.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I wonder if we'll let him go to the World Juniors?

I'd be surprised if he isn't released to play for Finland. It'd be a great opportunity for him to build some confidence. Finland should be a terrific team and Tolvanen would be one of the leaders on the team.

Reactions: maplepred

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We let Forsberg go in '13-'14 so I assume they would do the same with Tolvanen unless they foresee a possibility he gets called back up (entirely possible with Forsberg and Arvy still on the shelf).
They just sent him to Milwaukee and Forsberg and Arvy both still on the shelf, I think the World Juniors would be great for him regardless of what the situation is with Forsberg and Arvy, I feel like Lavy does not want Eeli in the top 6 as of yet. This reassignment speaks volumes on that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I am worried he really doesn’t look good at all. I hardly notice him when he’s on the ice. As of right now he needs plenty of work to become a average player. At least when guys like Forsberg came up you could see the talent by with ET it’s like “meh”.
I hope Fabbro is not another disappointing prospect.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
While up in Nashville, I think he focused too much on being careful defensively, even though he had Jarnkrok and Smith on his line. A lot of times when the puck was in the opponent's end of the ice, he would collapse almost to the blue line. I know some of that he was looking for an open spot, but he should've been more involved in creating the offense.

In my mind though, he was trying to be to "smart" and careful. He should've been playing more with his instincts and that would've resulted in more chances.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
How can anyone be disappointed with his call-up unless you expected him to come up, score in every game and force the Preds to keep him?

In reality, his play in Milwaukee never justified a call-up, but given the injury situation it seemed like a good time to give him another taste, whet his appetite, keep his motivation up and continue to push his development.

I know we all bit hard on his hot streak in the KHL. But if you go back to draft day, he's maybe actually trending a bit better than some hoped. We weren't sure if we had a player or not at that time, did the Preds not see what everyone else saw who let him drop? It was worth the risk given our draft position, and we expected a long-term project.

Instead it looks like we definitely have a worthwhile pick who is ahead of initial expectations. Heck, he originally signed with Jokerit for two seasons and we all assumed it would take at least that long for him to work on his game and maybe longer before coming over.

No, he isn't going to be the 50 goal superstar that many of us may have allowed ourselves to dream of last fall, but I don't see how any part of his game has shown he can't be a 25+25 high-end second liner who can move up when needed ala Fiala.

Above all, have patience. Trust the process, let the player develop or not. Only time will tell, but four games isnt enough to even really start this conversation.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I am worried he really doesn’t look good at all. I hardly notice him when he’s on the ice. As of right now he needs plenty of work to become a average player. At least when guys like Forsberg came up you could see the talent by with ET it’s like “meh”.
I hope Fabbro is not another disappointing prospect.

That is part of his game. You don't notice him until he is streaking down the ice after a loose puck or he smashes somebody into the boards once a period. He shoots or he passes and the red light comes on. He just needs to do more of that, since he is averaging 0.5 PPG in Milwaukee and has 1 G and 1 A in 4 games for Nashville. Not everybody is a PK Subban with the flash and a stunning 2 goals in 18 games.

BTW, Rocco Grimaldi has 1 G and 1 A for Nashville in 13 games. Rinaldo has 1 G and 0 A in 18 games and Gaudreau has 1 G and 0 A in 23 games. Gaudreau was a 20-20 man in Milwaukee. What happened to 2017 Playoff Gaudreau with 3 G in 8 games???

Last night, I saw Tolvanen playing the point twice while Dmen had the puck deep in the zone against the Texas Stars. On the PP, he played the point as a Dman, being the 4th forward out there in the third period in a 2-0 game. Coach Karl Taylor has a lot more faith in him than you do.

I think he has the potential to be a Tony Hrkac type player. Sudden, swift strikes and the goal horn goes off with 15 G and 25 A a season.

Looking at the Preds stats, FF is the only player with double digit goals after 32 games played by Nashville, 26 played by him. He is on pace for 36 goals by my math, 39 goals if he plays every game the rest of the season. Smith and Hartman have 9 each. That puts them at 23 goals for the season.

If the defense didn't score, that team would be down the standings! They need to get James Neal or somebody like him, back on the team. He has 3 goals for Calgary. How much could they want for him?

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Problem with Neal is that contract. Frankly I'd rather give up something good and go after a guy like Stone. That dude comes to play every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->