Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Problem with Neal is that contract. Frankly I'd rather give up something good and go after a guy like Stone. That dude comes to play every night.

If Stone is strong with the puck and can chip in a few goals, like Neal, than okay. Then he would be the "somebody like him".

Neal is 30, how old is Stone?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Thanks, Jonesey! It sounds like a good potential pick up since the Preds could have him for several seasons to extend their window.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That is part of his game. You don't notice him until he is streaking down the ice after a loose puck or he smashes somebody into the boards once a period. He shoots or he passes and the red light comes on. He just needs to do more of that, since he is averaging 0.5 PPG in Milwaukee and has 1 G and 1 A in 4 games for Nashville. Not everybody is a PK Subban with the flash and a stunning 2 goals in 18 games.

BTW, Rocco Grimaldi has 1 G and 1 A for Nashville in 13 games. Rinaldo has 1 G and 0 A in 18 games and Gaudreau has 1 G and 0 A in 23 games. Gaudreau was a 20-20 man in Milwaukee. What happened to 2017 Playoff Gaudreau with 3 G in 8 games???

Last night, I saw Tolvanen playing the point twice while Dmen had the puck deep in the zone against the Texas Stars. On the PP, he played the point as a Dman, being the 4th forward out there in the third period in a 2-0 game. Coach Karl Taylor has a lot more faith in him than you do.

I think he has the potential to be a Tony Hrkac type player. Sudden, swift strikes and the goal horn goes off with 15 G and 25 A a season.

Looking at the Preds stats, FF is the only player with double digit goals after 32 games played by Nashville, 26 played by him. He is on pace for 36 goals by my math, 39 goals if he plays every game the rest of the season. Smith and Hartman have 9 each. That puts them at 23 goals for the season.

If the defense didn't score, that team would be down the standings! They need to get James Neal or somebody like him, back on the team. He has 3 goals for Calgary. How much could they want for him?
When Forsberg got his 1st call up, I noticed him and could see the talent and noticed it every shift. It was clear that even at 18 FF was special, and I just did not do get that feel with Tolvanen. That’s all I am saying.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I have more faith in Fiala at this point and that’s not saying much.

Tolvanen has a great shot but you need more than that

Still looking for that high skill forward drafted by Poile, it’s like Sasquatch...

Fiala is also like 4-5 years older than tolvanen. Fiala was not any better than tolvanen at his age.

Also, hate to say it but radulov is the only stud forward ever to be Poile drafted. The little Russian brat.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Fiala is also like 4-5 years older than tolvanen. Fiala was not any better than tolvanen at his age.

Also, hate to say it but radulov is the only stud forward ever to be Poile drafted. The little Russian brat.
Disagree, you could see Fiala's skill very early on, his problem then is his problem now, his lack of IQ.

Agreed that Radulov was the only stud Poile has drafted.

In order his top skill drafted players
Radulov
Arvidsson
Legwand
Erat.

That's not very good.

Defensemen though he kills it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I have more faith in Fiala at this point and that’s not saying much.

Tolvanen has a great shot but you need more than that

Still looking for that high skill forward drafted by Poile, it’s like Sasquatch...

Tolvanen is a 19 year old rookie playing in North America after his season for Jokerit in the KHL. He plays defense well, but we don't have Trotz for a coach anymore. Tolvanen is an excellent passer. You must not have seen any of his games for Finland where he had 2 or 3 assists.

Reactions: cjerina

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tolvanen is a 19 year old rookie playing in North America after his season for Jokerit in the KHL. He plays defense well, but we don't have Trotz for a coach anymore. Tolvanen is an excellent passer. You must not have seen any of his games for Finland where he had 2 or 3 assists.

Yep, Tolvanen's issue is and will be for the foreseeable future gaining space to use his skills. At the NHL level you have to be able to protect the puck, gain space for yourself and be able to make plays quickly in tight windows. He hasn't shown the ability to do that yet. Also, good goalscorers have a knack for finding open space to receive a pass and being in the right place at the right time. He has to be able to develop those skills.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
He had an assist last night for Milwaukee so hopefully that’s a good sign that he’s going to turn it up a notch for the Ads.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Stone is strong with the puck and can chip in a few goals, like Neal, than okay. Then he would be the "somebody like him".

Neal is 30, how old is Stone?
Stone is a lot stronger with and without the puck than Neal, and at this stage would put up significantly more points. I don't know if Neal is "done" or not... but the Flames are flying high and they spent a lot of time spoon-feeding him icetime and opportunity and he STILL has done nothing. At this point I'm not sure how a team takes a chance on Neal with that contract. The way he has produced, he has become a negative-value contract-dump player. It would be a heavy gamble to even pick up Neal for free at this point... you'd want Calgary to swallow some of the contract and you give up nothing, and still wonder if it'd come back to haunt you. :(

I hope the Preds are successful in landing a star impending-UFA like Stone for the stretch run. I'd give up significant chunks of our future for him. But Neal... at this point he'd be a total hail-Mary in the event that ALL else had failed on the trade front. I confess I didn't see that coming for Neal... I was hoping in the summer that the Preds would be looking at him... but it seems a lot of NHL teams DID see that coming, and a lot steered clear of him for a good stretch there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tolvanen slipping a little under the radar so far in NA makes it at least a little more palatable here to us in our cushy fan armchairs to maybe consider including him in a deal for the likes of Stone, at least? I mean, to me... Stone is guaranteed, slam-dunk, the Real Deal, and Tolvanen has become a lot more "maybe" than before... (not really, but it just seems that way to us!)... at the very least, if I could get Stone with a new contract agreement in place, I'd be willing to include Tolvanen in the deal. Whereas 6 months ago, I think Tolvanen was a lot more untouchable in my mind.
<puts up the foot rest on the comfy easy chair of sports fandom>

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Take The Players Tribune any way you want, but seeing the Neal references in this thread about Tolvanen reminded me of this from a few years back. To paraphrase, it's basically "him" describing his evolution as a snipe-style scorer in the league. Maybe these are the things that Eeli is getting used to, and can some day look back on how he grew like Nealer did.

What You Don't Know About: Being a Sniper | By James Neal

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Tolvanen is only 19. He won't be effective until he adds a little bulk and learns how to play without thinking too much.

Give it time guys.

I'm thinking not next season, but the one after that is when he becomes a solid, full-time, reliable NHL player in the 25 goal range. And I'm also thinking we're going to see an unbelievable amount of "Trade Tolvanen" posts here in the meantime.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm thinking not next season, but the one after that is when he becomes a solid, full-time, reliable NHL player in the 25 goal range. And I'm also thinking we're going to see an unbelievable amount of "Trade Tolvanen" posts here in the meantime.

I agree with most of what you posted. I see Tolvanen as a 15 G and 25 A player some day in the NHL. His ceiling could go up in a few years. He needs to be in the AHL the rest of this season, and probably half of next season before he will be minimally NHL ready.

I hope that you are wrong about the bolded portion. We already have too many trade Fiala posts.

Using him as a throw-in on a deal would be idiotic at this point. He could be a second line NHL player in the future. Why would some Preds fans want to trade away that potential?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
People want Fiala trades for the same reason they wanted Wilson traded, he has all the tools he’s just stupid

I think that Wilson was lazy. He could play for real in the playoffs after dogging it in the regular season.

My jury is still out on Fiala. I think he presses too hard and his game suffers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sometimes you can want something too much and I think that is where Fiala is. Instead of just playing he wants to do something special and its killing him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Is he not on his way to the WJC yet? I really hope they don't hold him out of that. :dunno:
I may be in the minority but don't really care whether he plays in the WJC. In terms of becoming a more complete pro player, I think he gets more benefit playing normal AHL games than beating up on Kazakhstan, Denmark, Slovakia, etc...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I may be in the minority but don't really care whether he plays in the WJC. In terms of becoming a more complete pro player, I think he gets more benefit playing normal AHL games than beating up on Kazakhstan, Denmark, Slovakia, etc...
I don't think it's likely to affect his development one way or the other. Obviously AHL is better competition, but maybe there is a confidence factor that could come out of the WJC, who knows, that isn't the point to me. At the least I would sincerely HOPE that there is nothing about 6 games in either venue that could make or break him as a prospect!

But... If I'm going to watch USA-Finland or Finland-Sweden games I'd like to be able to watch Tolvanen there. Better chance of seeing those games or hearing reports of feats accomplished there than seeing any part of an Ads roadtrip over the holidays. Pure greed here, no apologies. I hope Tolvanen is at the WJC.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
WJCs are fun to watch. I hope he goes. Few weeks won't make or break his career from a development point of view. I think it's in the team's best interest to let him go if he wants to. They let the kid have some fun and if there's a chance he's used as a trade asset, a successful tournament is going to increase his value.

Reactions: maplepred and Tex76

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
WJCs are fun to watch. I hope he goes. Few weeks won't make or break his career from a development point of view. I think it's in the team's best interest to let him go if he wants to. They let the kid have some fun and if there's a chance he's used as a trade asset, a successful tournament is going to increase his value.

I hate to say it but I really do think he gets moved before the deadline for someone like duchene or stone. Poile is getting old and is absolutely starving for a cup. He had done everything else in hockey but that ultimate feat. I think it may be a move we live to regret but hey, if it brings us a cup then I am on board!!

Either way, keeping him or trading him, the world juniors is an absolute no brainer. Send the kid, man he is still only 19!!

Reactions: Tex76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad