Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Recall announced after morning skate where he wasn't there so they wouldn't have him in projected lineup. Doesn't mean he won't be in it.

Gotcha. The recall tweet was posted before the projected lineups so figured that meant he was out.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm not expecting much tonight. With so many weapons out of the lineup, it's going to be difficult for him to score playing with a bunch of guys who don't create on their own. Hopefully he's with Johansen so he has a chance.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not expecting much tonight. With so many weapons out of the lineup, it's going to be difficult for him to score playing with a bunch of guys who don't create on their own. Hopefully he's with Johansen so he has a chance.

Forsberg Ryjo Tolvanen
Fiala Sissons Smith
Watson jarnkrok Hartman
Salomaki bonino Grimaldi

Looks pretty solid to me. I think sissons has a fair amount of uptapped offensive potential as well so let him go with fiala and smith.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
No Forsberg
Yes just saw that in the injuries thread... damn...

Ok well here is my prediction now then,

Fiala Ryjo Tolvanen
Hartman Sissons Smith
Watson jarnkrok Grimaldi
Salomaki bonino gaudreau

See what Ryjo can do with the two kids??
Maybe Hartman had a big game against his old team??

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm glad we got the production we did out of him and maybe the monkey is off his back BUT..... I'll play devil's advocate for one second. After watching the replay of his goal a few times I do wonder if he kinda rushed the shot a little and was like "oh shit I better hurry up", because he definitely had more time. Granted, no one expects to be that open in front either, especially in what was possibly (don't remember) his first NHL game in a top 6 role. I mean I don't know, maybe not, just an observation. I'm not usually one to pick on those things so I don't know why I am now.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He was better defensively than I expected. We should see some more production if we get our PP to work.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm glad we got the production we did out of him and maybe the monkey is off his back BUT..... I'll play devil's advocate for one second. After watching the replay of his goal a few times I do wonder if he kinda rushed the shot a little and was like "oh **** I better hurry up", because he definitely had more time. Granted, no one expects to be that open in front either, especially in what was possibly (don't remember) his first NHL game in a top 6 role. I mean I don't know, maybe not, just an observation. I'm not usually one to pick on those things so I don't know why I am now.

Considering he had his back to the net when he received the pass, I'm fine with a quick backhander as opposed to trying to get turned around for a snipe wrister. He did have a bit more time, but when he got the shot away there was a defender just a few feet away. I bet that gap closes entirely if he tries for a more patient shot.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think getting the quick shot off along with accuracy is the best option anyhow.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm confused....are people complaining that he wasn't patient enough on his first NHL goal?
I was just wondering (pointlessly) if it looked like he just kinda threw the puck at the net thinking there were people on him. I was envisioning a scenario where the shot gets stopped and fans are like "noooo you had more time! rawr!!!!" There's nothing wrong with what he did but I was just thinking to myself how well he might be adjusting to the game speed, but of course I made the mistake of actually posting it because it's going to get blown out of proportion. My fault.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Looking forward to seeing him tonight again! If he keep performing well I can’t see them sending him back down even when IR guys are back

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I was just wondering (pointlessly) if it looked like he just kinda threw the puck at the net thinking there were people on him. I was envisioning a scenario where the shot gets stopped and fans are like "noooo you had more time! rawr!!!!" There's nothing wrong with what he did but I was just thinking to myself how well he might be adjusting to the game speed, but of course I made the mistake of actually posting it because it's going to get blown out of proportion. My fault.

I understood what you were saying, but I wouldn't read too much into that play by Tolvanen. We obviously don't know what he was thinking, but speaking from personnel experience as a shoot-first goal scorer (which is what Tolvanen is projected to be), I always released my shot as quickly as possible, giving the goalie and defenders less chance to react to my shot. I never had the hardest or most accurate shot, but I released the shot so quickly that I scored a lot of goals and won many scoring titles in the process. Mind you, I was a soccer player, but I think the mindset is the same in both sports. I suspect in that same situation a player like Patty Kane or Gaudreau would have spun around with the puck and deked the goalie out of his pads, whereas someone like Laine, Ovechkin, or Tarasenko would have just released the shot as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Drake744

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad