Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | Offseason | Esks Fire Ed Hervey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This seems odd in a world where hockey players make such massive salaries but I worry that Hervey pays a little too much for some players and it hampers our ability to attract free agents or re-sign other players.

Hey, you can always cut him loose at training camp.:D

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The schedule has been hurriedly revised over the weekend after some teams complained. If ours remains the same we open in BC in week one then it's home in week 2 versus Montreal. We have a bye in July.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This seems odd in a world where hockey players make such massive salaries but I worry that Hervey pays a little too much for some players and it hampers our ability to attract free agents or re-sign other players.

for context, any idea what bowman made last season?

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
The schedule has been hurriedly revised over the weekend after some teams complained. If ours remains the same we open in BC in week one then it's home in week 2 versus Montreal. We have a bye in July.

So that's how you get a more favourable schedule. Too bad the Eskimos never figured this out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
$260,000 and $265,000, two years. I think. Big numbers.

He's getting a chunk of Walkers dough now, since he's really going to be the man with Tex gone. Zylstra should produce, but he's a different kind of cat than Walker. I wonder who they have in mind as a replacement? Free agent, relatively unknown incumbent, or TC star.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
He's getting a chunk of Walkers dough now, since he's really going to be the man with Tex gone. Zylstra should produce, but he's a different kind of cat than Walker. I wonder who they have in mind as a replacement? Free agent, relatively unknown incumbent, or TC star.

Vidal Hazelton - has a 1000 yard CFL season under his belt, and ended the year learning the offense on the practice roster. Should be motivated after getting released by the Argos. Played a bit at Hervey's alma mater - USC.

Bryant Mitchell - has been with the team a couple years on the practice roster, and produced in every opportunity given (pre season, and a regular season audition).

Plus there will be a contingent of talented recruits trying to win jobs. Every year the team brings in new talent to compete. That will include finding a spare part WR who will be used primarily as a kick returner.

For these reasons I don't see the team chasing any high profile free agents.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So that's how you get a more favourable schedule. Too bad the Eskimos never figured this out.

Yeah, someone probably complained that the Eskimos bye weeks were only 12 weeks apart instead of the usual 15-18 weeks apart. But don't worry that will get fixed so they get week 1 and week 20. Meanwhile some of the Eastern teams will get the nice bye weeks between weeks 6-8 and 13-15.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
C4FLnDXVcAEmK3h.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/EdmontonEsks/status/829026965482983424

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Do the Esks like that schedule?

Can't say I'm a big fan of the late starts on Friday. And I happened to like going to Saturday afternoon games when it's sunny and nice out and having beers and watching the game. :pout:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

Can't say I'm a big fan of the late starts on Friday. And I happened to like going to Saturday afternoon games when it's sunny and nice out and having beers and watching the game. :pout:

not the biggest fan of an 8:00 start instead of 7:00, but at least there is no Thursday games!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

A lot of people have to work Saturday afternoons or have personal things they have to attend to. Saturday night has a lot more potential customers.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Two words for having night games.....beer sales. This is a major revenue stream for the team with a rather larger mark up.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
A lot of people have to work Saturday afternoons or have personal things they have to attend to. Saturday night has a lot more potential customers.

exactly. I'd rather spend my afternoon with my young daughter and then go to an evening game.

McHilman is right, too.

I would assume booze sales are considerably higher for an evening game vs a day game.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Sunday afternoon is my favourite time for a football game, although then you're competing with the NFL.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Esks have signed outside linebacker Chris Edwards who they really like. He's a Torrey Hunter find from his Idaho connection. He's very athletic and physical and has speed like a safety, where played a lot in college. Think Otha Foster with this guy. This signing isn't announced yet.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think he meant that the CFL doesn't compete with the NFL in the summer, so no conflict there.

Oh OK, my mistake. I know some people don't like games competing with summer activities but football is my favourite summer activity. Also, we've signed a nice defensive back they think will make the team.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Carson Walch is our new OC as Maas has elected to give up that job. We're about to sign Shamawd Chambers, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad