Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | Offseason | Esks Fire Ed Hervey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Young is good depth especially if were going for an import at safety. At the very least he knows the system and can help the younger players along. No downside whatsoever to this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Young is good depth especially if were going for an import at safety. At the very least he knows the system and can help the younger players along. No downside whatsoever to this.

Bring him back as a coach then. He was easily our worst Dback last year, and he ain't getting any younger. He's lost a step or 3. And in this league, speed kills.

Last edited:

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Bring him back as a coach then. He was easily our worst Dback last year, and he ain't getting any younger. He's lost a step or 3.

Why dont we wait for training camp to find out...wouldnt be the first guy to come back strong after a tough season. He wasnt even that bad anyways. If hes outplayed he gets cut. Hes a vet whos played well in the past and you just want to dump him already when contracts arent guaranteed? Thats terrible asset management

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why dont we wait for training camp to find out...wouldnt be the first guy to come back strong after a tough season. He wasnt even that bad anyways. If hes outplayed he gets cut. Hes a vet whos played well in the past and you just want to dump him already when contracts arent guaranteed? Thats terrible asset management

He's been sliding for a while now, and was awful last year. If he was playing with injury last year, then I could find a way. But they need to concentrate on either recruiting or free agency to plug this glaring hole, not go after has beens. And as Gord pointed out, you don't normally sign guys to 3 year extensions that are fodder for camp and iffy to make the team.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
He's been sliding for a while now, and was awful last year. If he was playing with injury last year, then I could find a way. But they need to concentrate on either recruiting or free agency to plug this glaring hole, not go after has beens. And as Gord pointed out, you don't normally sign guys to 3 year extensions that are fodder for camp and iffy to make the team.

In the NHL that's true- although some teams still do it. In the CFL & NFL the term is far less important because the contracts are not guaranteed. That's why, even though I'm a bit surprised that (given Young's play last year) they're bringing him back at all, I'm not terribly upset about it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
are players normally signed for 3 years that are camp fodder?

No.

Just making the point that no one is assured a spot on the team; anyone can be cut at any time. They may find players they like better, and they are recruiting heavily in the backfield.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In the NHL that's true- although some teams still do it. In the CFL & NFL the term is far less important because the contracts are not guaranteed. That's why, even though I'm a bit surprised that (given Young's play last year) they're bringing him back at all, I'm not terribly upset about it.

I'm not "terribly" upset about it either :laugh:, just concerned, and it does raise a red flag if this is the type of guy we're bringing to camp. Hopefully Hervey has a bunch of hot prospects lined up so we can have a competent backfield this year, instead of the tire fire that existed last year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not "terribly" upset about it either :laugh:, just concerned, and it does raise a red flag if this is the type of guy we're bringing to camp. Hopefully Hervey has a bunch of hot prospects lined up so we can have a competent backfield this year, instead of the tire fire that existed last year.

I'm with you here. It concerns me a little, but as long as they are recruiting, this may not be a bad thing and they can get out of it easily if they need to. Call it insurance. Some think this may be them trying to set up the possibility of him moving to safety or something like that. I could probably live with that, provided they aren't forcing another Canadian onto the offense to make that happen.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm with you here. It concerns me a little, but as long as they are recruiting, this may not be a bad thing and they can get out of it easily if they need to. Call it insurance. Some think this may be them trying to set up the possibility of him moving to safety or something like that. I could probably live with that, provided they aren't forcing another Canadian onto the offense to make that happen.

If he removes Neil King at safety, it may have some merit, small as that may be. But both of them are useless, IMO. And as you say, it opens up a hole somewhere else where we have to play a Canadian. Imports tend to not line up in the safety position. You can hide a decent Canadian there, if the other 4 are very solid.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It looks like Edmonton is shortlisted to host an NFL regular season game this year between the Packers and either Seattle or Denver. The city has assured the NFL it can sell 60,000 tickets.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
It looks like Edmonton is shortlisted to host an NFL regular season game this year between the Packers and either Seattle or Denver. The city has assured the NFL it can sell 60,000 tickets.

Where did you hear this?

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
NFL took cross-Canada scouting trip in 2016, could play future games in Toronto, Edmonton or elsewhere

John Kryk, Postmedia Network

HOUSTON — The NFL scouted four Canadian stadiums in 2016 as candidate sites for possible future regular-season games, Postmedia has learned.

Mark Waller, the NFL’s executive vice-president of international, said in an interview on Wednesday that league reps last year visited Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, Toronto’s Rogers Centre, Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium and Vancouver’s B.C. Place Stadium. The latter two play host to CFL games.

In the interview, Waller talked up Canada as a future host of a regular-season “international†game, or games.

He added, however, that a “dark cloud†hangs over Canada regarding the CRTC’s decision to allow U.S. commercials to be shown during Sunday’s Super Bowl LI. More on that in a moment.

Following commissioner Roger Goodell’s annual pre-Super Bowl news conference, Waller told Postmedia that he and his team visited the four Canadian stadiums in person for two main reasons: first, to see if team locker rooms were sufficient, and secondly, to see if those venues meet NFL technological standards.

The NFL has not yet reached a conclusion on a Canadian venue, Waller said, nor does it disclose findings of such information missions.
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nfl/nfl-took-cross-canada-scouting-trip-in-2016-could-play-future-games-in-toronto-edmonton-or-elsewhere

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Both Rogers and Olympic are dumps. Commonwealth has the best locker room, practice facility, and fitness rooms than any other football stadium in Canada. Its capacity is second only to Olympic, and I doubt they are going there. I think it will be between us and Vancouver.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Where did you hear this?

If I told you I'd have to kill you. :)

I'm also hearing that Edmonton is the likely front runner. Believe it or not, one of the reasons is our jersey colours being the same as the Packers'.

They also know that the Packers are popular in Alberta and Saskatchewan and that will be a draw. The Esks and the city are working behind the scenes to make this happen. They've shown off the dressing room, which is NFL-class. The decision makers like the stadium and the fact that it's outdoors like Lambeau.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I'm also hearing that Edmonton is the likely front runner. Believe it or not, one of the reasons is our jersey colours being the same as the Packers'.

They also know that the Packers are popular in Alberta and Saskatchewan and that will be a draw. The Esks and the city are working behind the scenes to make this happen. They've shown off the dressing room, which is NFL-class. The decision makers like the stadium and the fact that it's outdoors like Lambeau.

And if we do get a game here, it will be immediately sold out, prompting the inevitable hysteria of getting an NFL team here.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

Great thanks for the info!

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
The Bowlen family who owns the Broncos have ties to Edmonton as well, they made their fortune in oil starting in Vermilion in 1943.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

every single ticket would be sold within an hour. no problem.

I would just hope season ticket holders would get priority.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
I can't imagine a game between the Seahawks and Packers would be played in any other city than their own. Broncos vs Packers would do well here.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I just checked and was told that this is extremely unlikely. NFL officials came up for a look and, while very impressed by our stadium and dressing room, this is pure speculation based on that visit. Esks' officials visited Green Bay in November for a game and to meet with their senior management group.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just checked and was told that this is extremely unlikely. NFL officials came up for a look and, while very impressed by our stadium and dressing room, this is pure speculation based on that visit. Esks' officials visited Green Bay in November for a game and to meet with their senior management group.

Maybe it's the Esks who want to play a game in GB? :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, how long would it take the fans to notice given the jersey colours are the same? :sarcasm:

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Adarius Bowman’s new deal makes him highest paid receiver in CFL
Posted on February 6, 2017 by Justin Dunk // 2 Comments

Edmonton Eskimos Adarius Bowman (4) celebrates a touchdown against the Calgary Stampeders during first half CFL action in Edmonton, Alta., on Saturday September 10, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson.
Edmonton Eskimos receiver Adarius Bowman will be the highest-paid receiver in the league.

The two-year extension Bowman signed last week will pay him $260,000 this season and jump to $265,000 in 2018. Bowman received a $140,000 signing bonus on the new pact.

Those numbers put him tops among pass catchers and highest paid among non-quarterback skill position players in the CFL.

A three-time CFL all-star, Bowman set a team record last season with 120 receptions for a league-leading 1,759 yards and nine touchdowns. He’s amassed three straight 1,300-plus-yard years. In his nine CFL seasons, Bowman has amassed career totals of 568 receptions for 8,490 yards and 43 touchdowns.

Bowman originally joined the Eskimos as a free agent in January 2011 after stints in Saskatchewan (2008) and Winnipeg (2009-10).
http://3downnation.com/2017/02/06/adarius-bowmans-new-deal-makes-him-highest-paid-receiver-in-cfl/

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This seems odd in a world where hockey players make such massive salaries but I worry that Hervey pays a little too much for some players and it hampers our ability to attract free agents or re-sign other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad