Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | Offseason | Esks Fire Ed Hervey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I poppe donto riderfans and they're quoting tweets that say the esks have asked players to take paycuts because of cap concerns.
maybe there just isn't any money to sign anyone.

Could be. I'm just worried we won't fill the holes again like last year and then we'll be in a world of hurt again this summer.

First tweet of the morning regarding the Esks:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I expect that we'll lose some players, including Bell. He may go to Saskatchewan. I don't think we'll make much noise in free agency as that's not how Hervey wants to build this team. We're recruiting heavily on defence and at some positions on offence, too. We'll start getting some news soon.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Sounds like we're in for another summer(edit: spring! :D) of Riders fans gushing about signing all of our cast offs.

Hunt and Ojo would both be big time losses though. Hervey better know what hes doing if he lets them get away.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
$40,000 or $50,000 here or there shouldn't make that much difference but it does and I think we overpaid for Bowman and it could hamper our attempts to sign some key players.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sounds like we're in for another summer(edit: spring! :D) of Riders fans gushing about signing all of our cast offs.

Hunt and Ojo would both be big time losses though. Hervey better know what hes doing if he lets them get away.

my faith in Hervey knowing what he's doing took a bit of a hit last year.

If he has another bad season/offseason, I'll want him gone. especially if he can't properly manage the cap.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
my faith in Hervey knowing what he's doing took a bit of a hit last year.

If he has another bad season/offseason, I'll want him gone. especially if he can't properly manage the cap.

All things considered (guys earning a shot and sticking in the NFL, Jones & his little ducklings jumping ship, another devastating achilles injury) my faith in Hervey took no hit whatsoever last season. Think about how many of the players who defected to other CFL teams had much in the way of success- especially with the Riders. It wasn't many.

There's plenty of work for the GM to do (the secondary, kick returns, overall depth) but there would have to be an unforeseen disaster before I'd want him gone.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
People are often impatient. It's like buying stocks. Stocks and GMs are longer-term things.

Ottawa is very active today so far, including signing lineman *Derek Dennis from Calgary. He's a guy Calgary really wanted to resign.

Edit: *or Saskatchewan depending on which reporter you believe. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
I wasn't happy when the Esks promoted Hervey to GM. I would have preferred a GM with experience, however I was forced to change my mind when he made the team competitive and winning a championship.

Because of that, I will give him plenty of latitude on any moves he makes.

I'm thankful Kevin Lowe doesn't run the Eskimos.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Wow how the tides have turned on these players who left the Eskimos and are now returning...love what Lawrence brings. Good to see him kind of replace Bell and Bailey (potentially) and be our return guy again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People are often impatient. It's like buying stocks. Stocks and GMs are longer-term things.

Ottawa is very active today so far, including signing lineman *Derek Dennis from Calgary. He's a guy Calgary really wanted to resign.

Edit: *or Saskatchewan depending on which reporter you believe. Stay tuned.

This isn't true about the CFL. When the below can happen this simply isn't true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ottawa_Redblacks_seasons

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It proves you don't have to look long-term in the league. If you aren't getting the job done there is no reason to keep a guy around.

Yeah, I agree that rebuilds can happen very quickly but that's different than the time it takes for a new GM to prove his worth. Hervey was brand new. Hire a GM and fire him after a couple of years if he doesn't achieve instant results? Sorry, I don't agree. I'd need at least three or four years to judge a guy's worth. It's too soon - especially for a newbie.

We didn't get the desired result but neither did eight other teams. We did make a conference final and lost to the eventual champion. I don't like some of Hervey's moves but he's the guy and I support him.

I like to hold my investments, my spouse, my cars and my sports GMs for the long haul. :nod:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
great depth guy, can play a lot of positions.
ok with him coming back as long as it isn't for too much money.

He'll be replacing Shakir Bell for RB depth and he returns kicks and can catch passes. I like the signing if the money's reasonable and we get the player before Regina ruined him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm hearing Dennis signed for around 205K with the Riders. That's a lot for a lineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille