Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Trust me, they won't even be happy with that. They'll probably say it's a derivitive of Eskimos, so it can't work.

Probably? I would say certainly the bitch about something crowd would be crowing. Its fulltime pastime. I feel sorry for any businesses or orgs that have to listen to this crap. The rest of us don't have to.

The Eskimos are taking the perfect approach because they know the majority is being silent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few tweeters suggested Edmonton Energy which isn't bad really but then you'll have all the oil and gas haters take to the media demanding that it be changed to read Edmonton Alternate Energies.

Edmonton Energy was the name of that deplorable barnstorm circuit half ass basketball team that was playing in a stupid league that couldn't even afford to have playoffs. If the Esks co-opted that name some people would suddenly come out of the woodwork wanting some dime on prior usage and infringement.

Edmonton Elk? No thanks, Calgary would immediately call their team the Bears and that would be the end of us..

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton Empire.
Still in E. They have had tons of ads saying "Be part of the Esks Empire" and stuff. And imo it's a better name.
(Always hated the Eskimos name it felt like a youth hockey team name)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The proposed name "Empire" doesn't work for me.

-- The word "Empire" is synonymous with "Colonialism" so Iveson & friends will simply demand that name be changed too. You can't placate him with that term.

--"Empire" implies that you are winning every season and with 1 GC in 13 years it might be seen as wishful thinking.

--All of this assumes that there will be a CFL going forward and I maintain that if it does survive then we are going to see a radically different cost structure in the future.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Anthem Debate Is Back. But Now It’s Standing That’s Polarizing.

Here is a very interesting article in the NY Times, one of the few media outlets that still has some semblance of "balanced opinion."

As I heard one lady say on the tube yesterday-- "I told my husband--maybe they just shouldn't bother playing the anthem before games." That might be the most sound advice we will hear on the subject.

I wonder how the CFL will handle this issue.

It's fascinating how the "big 4" sports leagues are now super charged with politics. You would almost think that it was the Olympics or something.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was the anthem really ever an issue in the CFL? I honestly don't remember seeing anyone kneeling, but then again I really wasn't paying attention to it either.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was the anthem really ever an issue in the CFL? I honestly don't remember seeing anyone kneeling, but then again I really wasn't paying attention to it either.

I don't recall any of that, likely because at the time the kneeling thing was specifically calling out police brutality against black people in the US, so it wouldn't have made sense to kneel during the Canadian anthem. However, now as police brutality is coming to light even north of the border, maybe you see something this time around. That said, I think the common dialogue in Canada is that they want to do better unlike in the US, so maybe not.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yes, I don't think it was ever a big issue in the CFL but I wonder if it will be going forward? Sadly, it will be a very big issue when the NFL returns.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The big 4 major sports leagues with billions of dollars in resources have had to move mountains to get to the point where a season restart is still only likely to happen.

A 2020 CFL season has never been realistic.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The big 4 major sports leagues with billions of dollars in resources have had to move mountains to get to the point where a season restart is still only likely to happen.

A 2020 CFL season has never been realistic.
They should be doing a poll to find out how many players are willing to come to Canada for pro-rated contracts. If the answer is not a lot, then just work on next season.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There are a lot of CFL guys who play for the love of the game so I am betting that many would say-- "yes, I'm coming" but that's just a guess.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Personally hate anthems at sporting events unless it's played to honour the winning team/athlete in the Olympics.

As for the Eskimos name, I like the tradition of the name, but if it is offensive to some, then it should be changed. It's probably time to do so. Unfortunately there are not any good names that begin with E if you want to keep the EE logo.

Might be time to go in a different direction all together. Safest way is to name them after an animal. Edmonton Wolves, Edmonton Lynx? Animal mascots and marketing opportunites with animal named teams are plentiful.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Personally hate anthems at sporting events unless it's played to honour the winning team/athlete in the Olympics.

As for the Eskimos name, I like the tradition of the name, but if it is offensive to some, then it should be changed. It's probably time to do so. Unfortunately there are not any good names that begin with E if you want to keep the EE logo.

Might be time to go in a different direction all together. Safest way is to name them after an animal. Edmonton Wolves, Edmonton Lynx? Animal mascots and marketing opportunites with animal named teams are plentiful.
My wife's uncle's cousin was chewed up pretty badly by a wolf about 40 years ago. How dare you suggest such a name. Still brings back painful memories.

Reactions: joestevens29

samiam

Oct 4, 2010

Define "some". Then we must decide at what number it makes sense to consider a name change.
How many people does that have to be? 10?, 100?

Reactions: MoontoScott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Define "some". Then we must decide at what number it makes sense to consider a name change.
How many people does that have to be? 10?, 100?, 1000? etc

12k people just entirely radically revamped our police force complete with decreased funding, a new commission on how to social justice the EPS up, and all because of George Floyd.

I mention this because increasingly we live in countries where the few are making all the rules and busy trying to. With dunderhead councils that figure this is somehow the majority view.

Reactions: yukoner88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad