Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Just curious, but do the Eskimos have an actual employer policy on comments such as these? I would suspect yes, but a cursory google search did not answer that for me.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If you have an opinion that gets you fired from a job then it's probably a dumb opinion to begin with. Nothing to do with mob mentality.

Go tell your boss to "f*** off" and call them an "asshole" or a "piece of shit incompetent moron" and say that's just freedom of speech and thus you are free from consequences lol.

Yes, as society changes, so the types of comments that you can say, also change. In 20 years I can only imagine the things you won't be able to say. I suspect I will not understand some of them. I can either kick and scream about it or adjust and realize that culture changes I guess.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
If you have an opinion that gets you fired from a job then it's probably a dumb opinion to begin with. Nothing to do with mob mentality.

Go tell your boss to "f*** off" and call them an "asshole" or a "piece of shit incompetent moron" and say that's just freedom of speech and thus you are free from consequences lol.

Not a good example because that in the face interaction has nothing to do with what I'm citing. That action gets you in trouble no matter what time stamped zeitgeist it is.

I'm citing this and the thousands of other examples where people have lost their job because of a stupid comment on social media, or refusing the latest order of what they must do at work, even if it compromises their spiritual beliefs or values.

Of course what took place last night is all about the mob. Look how many responses, how many retweets. How many messages do you think the Eskimos org got in 24hours. I would suggest thousands. Most by people that don't even follow football, maybe never been to a game, that are not even a football demographic, but can sure as shit get the Eskimos shut down too.

Not too curiously the Eskimos are not only suffering this but "Eskimos name" is now trending all over and "that has to change too"...

tar and pitchforks are out. yet again. I'm a bit tired of it myself. People that don't buy tickets, that are not Eskimos fans, telling the eskimos what they should be called. again. Thousands of people discussing that today, sunddenly, again. The activated mob of unrest.

Its freedom of discussion for some to think the Eskimos name should be changed. Have that dialog if you want. Its another thing to TELL the org, and anybody that follows it, that it can't have that name.

Better change the name of Ottawa while were at it, among other cities and province names. Its all cultural appropriation, unlicenced, uncompensated, and spelled wrong...(sarcasm in technicolor)

Wouldn't surprise me if they're picketing the Eskimos closed office right about now..;)

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Not a good example because that in the face interaction has nothing to do with what I'm citing. That action gets you in trouble no matter what time stamped zeitgeist it is.

I'm citing this and the thousands of other examples where people have lost their job because of a stupid comment on social media, or refusing the latest order of what they must do at work, even if it compromises their spiritual beliefs or values.

Of course what took place last night is all about the mob. Look how many responses, how many retweets. How many messages do you think the Eskimos org got in 24hours. I would suggest thousands. Most by people that don't even follow football, maybe never been to a game, that are not even a football demographic, but can sure as shit get the Eskimos shut down too.

Not too curiously the Eskimos are not only suffering this but "Eskimos name" is now trending all over and "that has to change too"...

tar and pitchforks are out. yet again. I'm a bit tired of it myself. People that don't buy tickets, that are not Eskimos fans, telling the eskimos what they should be called. again. Thousands of people discussing that today, sunddenly, again. The activated mob of unrest.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're picketing the Eskimos close office right about now..;)

WRT the name change, I get the feeling that to a lot of people it doesn't matter anymore. I think that the CFL, as we knew it, is probably no more.

There will probably be some sort of CFL derivative going forward but with a drastically reduced cost structure. As an example, I think the days of QBs making $700K a year are gone and that we are looking at much leaner coaching and administrative budgets.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Its freedom of discussion for some to think the Eskimos name should be changed. Have that dialog if you want. Its another thing to TELL the org, and anybody that follows it, that it can't have that name.

Better change the name of Ottawa while were at it, among other cities and province names. Its all cultural appropriation, unlicenced, uncompensated, and spelled wrong...(sarcasm in technicolor)

Wouldn't surprise me if they're picketing the Eskimos close office right about now..;)
I mean to be fair, there are a lot of people who don't watch pro sports because they have been historically non inclusive at all and pretty elitist.

And really I have never got the "you aren't a fan your opinion doesn't matter". I'd say Edmontonians opinions about a team absolutely matters as long as the cities name is in its name.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
WRT the name change, I get the feeling that to a lot of people it doesn't matter anymore. I think that the CFL, as we knew it, is probably no more.

There will probably be some sort of CFL derivative going forward but with a drastically reduced cost structure. As an example, I think the days of QBs making $700K a year are gone and that we are looking at much leaner coaching and administrative budgets.

The Eskimos name, its history, the name on all the cups, the fight song, it doesn't matter? I can't subscribe to that view. If you don't have the name, you may as well not have the product.

The new Coke, now not named Coke, because some people are harmed by Coke. ;)

you get the drift.

I feel like I'm history. ;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I mean to be fair, there are a lot of people who don't watch pro sports because they have been historically non inclusive at all and pretty elitist.

And really I have never got the "you aren't a fan your opinion doesn't matter". I'd say Edmontonians opinions about a team absolutely matters as long as the cities name is in its name.

What matters is the thought that one small faction can tell everybody what they should think, feel, what their views can be. That is what a lot of people react to, its taking place endlessly.

Any society that needs to rename history, outlaws books and needs to rewrite history for "safety" is in severe trouble. At least thats what written history tells us..

These are strange and dangerous times.

What do you mean by pro sports are "elitist and non inclusive" what an odd comment. should people with participation ribbons be allowed to compete on that basis. Should we have a pro league with no pro talent that is inclusive? Anybody can play? Are you buying pro priced tickets for that?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

If there are some people out there that don't watch a particular sport because it's "elitist or non-inclusive", that's their choice and their problem. I have never been to an NFL game, don't have tickets to the Oilers or Eskimos, but I enjoy all of them on TV and follow them on the media because I find it enjoyable. I may not be interested or able to afford to see it live, but that doesn't diminish the interest for me. And I suspect most fans are the same way.

As for the Eskimos name, I believe there was a poll taken amougst the Inuit community a couple years ago and it came back overwhelmingly in favour/not really caring one way or the other, of keeping the name as is. By the very people that we are told are constantly offended by it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yes, as society changes, so the types of comments that you can say, also change. In 20 years I can only imagine the things you won't be able to say. I suspect I will not understand some of them. I can either kick and scream about it or adjust and realize that culture changes I guess.

I realize this is a comedy sketch but, but Comedians will become an endangered species at this point. The crap that we won't be able to say will fill a warehouse.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Eskimos name, its history, the name on all the cups, the fight song, it doesn't matter? I can't subscribe to that view. If you don't have the name, you may as well not have the product.

The new Coke, now not named Coke, because some people are harmed by Coke. ;)

you get the drift.

I feel like I'm history. ;)

I certainly can identify with what you are saying here about being history.

I find it offensive that some of the younger posters on the site feel free to call older people irrelevant and state that our opinions make us "stupid" but really this is the world of social media-- its aggressive and unforgiving and when people try to apologize for what they have said (admittedly for some dumb things, like what Jones said) the curt response is "too late, shouldn't have done that-- you are out."

I agree that the loss of the EE name would be very difficult but I think that the relationship between pro sports and the public will be very different in the future so even myself, being old, brittle and none too bright (too many parties in the 70's and 80's I guess) would (reluctantly) say that perhaps this is time for a change. The past ways are not necessarily the right ones and we must change with the times to remain relevant.

Either way, the future of the CFL is a nebulous one.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I certainly can identify with what you are saying here about being history.

I find it offensive that some of the younger posters on the site feel free to call older people irrelevant and state that our opinions make us "stupid" but really this is the world of social media-- its aggressive and unforgiving and when people try to apologize for what they have said (admittedly for some dumb things, like what Jones said) the curt response is "too late, shouldn't have done that-- you are out."

I agree that the loss of the EE name would be very difficult but I think that the relationship between pro sports and the public will be very different in the future so even myself, being old, brittle and none too bright (too many parties in the 70's and 80's I guess) would (reluctantly) say that perhaps this is time for a change. The past ways are not necessarily the right ones and we must change with the times to remain relevant.

Either way, the future of the CFL is a nebulous one.
I feel like the CFL future is nebulous but mostly because the quality of product seems to be going down hill and less and less people seem interested or invested every year. People seem to much rather watch the NFL

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

Wouldn't surprise me if they're picketing the Eskimos closed office right about now..;)

I can only assume you're drunk because this is some grade A level rambling.

You can cry all you want but there is no freedom from consequences for your actions regardless of if the "mob" wants it or not.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thankfully a Global Mod came in and cleaned out the last few pages of the horse shit that was literally everywhere before I got home from a long day so that I didnt have to. Enough is enough.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
What matters is the thought that one small faction can tell everybody what they should think, feel, what their views can be. That is what a lot of people react to, its taking place endlessly.

Any society that needs to rename history, outlaws books and needs to rewrite history for "safety" is in severe trouble. At least thats what written history tells us..

These are strange and dangerous times.

What do you mean by pro sports are "elitist and non inclusive" what an odd comment. should people with participation ribbons be allowed to compete on that basis. Should we have a pro league with no pro talent that is inclusive? Anybody can play? Are you buying pro priced tickets for that?

Really good post here!! You've said outlawing books. It seems all that is left is book burning. Censorship of Bugs Bunny cartoons. Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam won't be carrying a rifle and guns repectively in their new productions. WTF is that? I grew up watching them. Did I think it was ok to go around shooting a firearm? NO!! WTF is going on.

I don't mind keeping the Eskimo name but I'm not opposed in renaming if there's a definitive consensus that the name is offensive to Inuits but not because the cancel culture thinks it wrong. F them

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Eskimos announce that they are keeping their team name.

Right on, Presson showing some balls (CFL balls are bigger, as we know).

Sounds like they are once again looking for more feedback. I don’t know if this issue will ever go away for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->