Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Personally hate anthems at sporting events unless it's played to honour the winning team/athlete in the Olympics.

As for the Eskimos name, I like the tradition of the name, but if it is offensive to some, then it should be changed. It's probably time to do so. Unfortunately there are not any good names that begin with E if you want to keep the EE logo.

Might be time to go in a different direction all together. Safest way is to name them after an animal. Edmonton Wolves, Edmonton Lynx? Animal mascots and marketing opportunites with animal named teams are plentiful.

Edmonton Prairie Dogs sounds benign enough.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Define "some". Then we must decide at what number it makes sense to consider a name change.
How many people does that have to be? 10?, 100?
Exactly. What the poster is saying, is that is really doesn't matter as to the number. Just that if "some" don't like it, then it should be changed. What about if many more than "some" (including those directly affected) think it's okay to leave as is?
And you wonder why the world is in such a mess today.

Reactions: rboomercat90

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, how surprised can we be?

You knew that the cancel mob wouldn't rest until they had their way. As I asked before on the thread, what else do they have to do all day?

It might be moot point because I think the CFL, in its past format, is probably done. I am guessing that what will emerge in the future will be a low-cost "NFL light" product where running backs make 30K a year and QB's get 75K with some free pizza coupons thrown in as added incentive. Similar to the XFL but perhaps with Canadian rules.

Could be wrong but there is a sense of fatigue around the league. Old timers like Brailey and Young have basically said that its time to call it a day. How can you blame them with what we are seeing here. The Lions have been up for sale for a year now but who would buy them?

Last edited:
Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I watch sports and entertainment to be entertained. I am burned out on arguing about politics with my family and circle of friends and i consider myself a person that is OK with such discussions. But i am tired of watching movies with a clear cut political agenda stamped on it to the point where the story suffers because its not as important as an obvious message. I am tired of clicking on a sports story or watching a game and see political commentary and messaging plastered everywhere. I am already sour on the CFL and i won't be watching anymore games or going to any games if this is the final outcome they decide. Its one thing to change the name of the Redskins who straight up have a derogatory name, but you see the outcome of giving in to one group they will come after every little thing they perceive as incorrect.

Etymologically speaking, there exists a scientific consensus that the word Eskimo comes from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe" and is related to "husky" (a breed of dog), and it does not have a pejorative meaning in origin. Whoa, what did you just call me? Why do you gotta assume i lace a shoe just because of my skin tone? I am offended.

Eh. It's a slur. The Redskins and Indians are facing their reckoning. Change it to Empire so you can keep the EE logo and be done with it.

There used to be a rule among the older generation, don't talk politics during dinner or at work, don't tell anyone who you voted for because its none of their business and keep political discussions in a political forum. Its no coincidence that in the past decade we have seen a major division in a majority of our countries because we can't help ourselves and inject it into everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

North

Jun 25, 2009
I watch sports and entertainment to be entertained. I am burned out on arguing about politics with my family and circle of friends and i consider myself a person that is OK with such discussions. But i am tired of watching movies with a clear cut political agenda stamped on it to the point where the story suffers because its not as important as an obvious message. I am tired of clicking on a sports story or watching a game and see political commentary and messaging plastered everywhere. I am already sour on the CFL and i won't be watching anymore games or going to any games if this is the final outcome they decide. Its one thing to change the name of the Redskins who straight up have a derogatory name, but you see the outcome of giving in to one group they will come after every little thing they perceive as incorrect.

Etymologically speaking, there exists a scientific consensus that the word Eskimo comes from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe" and is related to "husky" (a breed of dog), and it does not have a pejorative meaning in origin. Whoa, what did you just call me? What do you gotta assume i lace a shoe just because of my skin tone? So offensive.

Empire is celebrating Colonialism. What now?

But Empire is actually not considered a slur directed towards a particular group of people.

Eskimo is considered a slur to a particular group of people.

Is a name change really that big a deal?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
But Empire is actually not considered a slur directed towards a particular group of people.

Eskimo is considered a slur to a particular group of people.

Is a name change really that big a deal?

It has nothing to do with slur, it has to do with the conquest of the native Americans and European colonialism that subjugated and murdered an entire race of people that were already here in this country before the empire builders got here.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It has nothing to do with slur, it has to do with the conquest of the native Americans and European colonialism that subjugated and murdered an entire race of people that were already here in this country before the empire builders got here.

No you’re actually equating a racial slur with a word that you’ve decided to create your own context for just to be difficult.

Considering my parents come from a country that is still suffering the affects of Imperialism it’s hilarious that you decided to call me a bigot just to make some bs point because you don’t want your football team to change the racist part of their name.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
If they're going to lose sponsors over this then Presson does need to change the team name. I'd rather cheer for the Edmonton Eggheads than not have a CFL team here at all.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No you’re actually equating a racial slur with a word that you’ve decided to create your own context for just to be difficult.

Considering my parents come from a country that is still suffering the affects of Imperialism it’s hilarious that you decided to call me a bigot just to make some bs point because you don’t want your football team to change the racist part of their name.

Just to be clear the point was sarcastic, i don't think you are an actual bigot. It does not stop at just one name change, things will get more and more offensive until there will be an acceptable list of names you can and can't use, even everyday phrases will be banned. Compelled speech is a very dangerous slope.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Just to be clear the point was sarcastic, i don't think you are an actual bigot. It does not stop at just one name change, things will get more and more offensive until there will be an acceptable list of names you can and can't use, even everyday phrases will be banned. Compelled speech is a very dangerous slope.

Racial slurs are racial slurs. Not sure where the dangerous slope is here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This slope is really not that slippery. It stops at 'Don't name sports teams after racial slurs.'

Life will go on.

But where does this latest crusade stop? Pun intended.

Most of the names of cities and provinces in this country involve culturally appropriating terms.

The land they are situated on is colonialist robbed "empire''

Empire of course being a colonial imperialist term and missive.

Historical references, themes, statues, noteworthy figures are all vestige of the victors writing history.

History itself and any reference to it is first world privilege and uses print to repress aboriginal cultures that have their history recorded in oral tradition.

Thus any English name for any thing is an anglocentric status quo keeping imperative.

Any male historical or recognized present figure anywhere is an affront to metoo.

Males playing any sports amongst themselves in endeavors that are strictly male should be verboten. What is this male privilege? Allow all, and grant participation ribbons and the concept of trophies and wins supports themes of dominance and submission.

The slippery slope is that constant negative focus on anything that is even remotely perceived to be wrong instills that as the mandate every minute marching forward. Oh, but the term marching is Euro militaristic invocation and Football itself is a display of Industrialized War and should be symbolically banned.

The whole of sports itself is an endeavor that creates inequality on the playing field and establishes some being better than others. Surely this can't be allowed.

The entirety above is tongue and cheek, except that such myopic exercise never really stops.

I'm offended that I wrote this post. Oh effendi.

10cc were clearly quite ahead of their time..

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If you guys don't like the name change then don't go. Society is changing. We can change with it, or sit at home and be angry that it is changing without us. The choice is up to each of us individually. This is LONG overdue, and many of us have been stating it for a while. Sponsorship/dollars is always what will force the hand in these situations, just like with Washington and their owners.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I find the name "belairdirect" offensive. I've never supported their product and never will, the name implies automatic privilege, advantage, excess, and perpetuates status quo in insuring disparate ownership privilege..

Listen to me!

Again mocking reply, but these initiatives deserve it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Amusing responses......

but the term "Empire" has much more in terms of implications than the word Eskimo.

At a time when wild mobs are ripping down statues of Chris Columbus you are going to name a team "Empire?" OMG, they will probably tear down Commonwealth Stadium and set fire to it. Bad idea or what?

How about if we just the name the team "Edmonton Evil?" That would be cool.

The media will love it. Here are some of the anticipated headlines.....

Can Stampeders triumph over Evil?

Can Winnipeg bomb Evil into submission?

Will Lions tear Evil apart?

...and if Edmonton misses the playoffs? "Evil Dead"

--All kinds of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad