Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think that eventually they will have to change it because as said by a poster above, the cancel mob will not be denied. What else do they have to do all day?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease eventually. Just do it and get it over with. Until the new name eventually upsets someone else.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Squeaky wheel gets the grease eventually. Just do it and get it over with. Until the new name eventually upsets someone else.
I can see people having legitimate issue with Eskimos as a nick name. It’s insulting to the Inuit people, right? Out here Simon Fraser football is being forced to change its name from Clansmen, because it sounds like Klansmen. Any other college teams up here going to be forced to change?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I can see people having legitimate issue with Eskimos as a nick name. It’s insulting to the Inuit people, right? Out here Simon Fraser football is being forced to change its name from Clansmen, because it sounds like Klansmen. Any other college teams up here going to be forced to change?

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. How does this promote discussion and understanding when this type of over reach is happening.

Reactions: Luckylarry

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I feel like the CFL future is nebulous but mostly because the quality of product seems to be going down hill and less and less people seem interested or invested every year. People seem to much rather watch the NFL

That said, I always preferred to watch the Jays....but damn I miss the Trappers.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Well, I am am offended by Canuck. It originated as a American slang for Canadian so....I don't like it. Time to change the name.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, I am am offended by Canuck. It originated as a American slang for Canadian so....I don't like it. Time to change the name.

And lets not forget the Calgary Flames. The nickname "Flames" came with the club when the Atlanta franchise moved to Calgary.

It is in direct reference to the burning of Atlanta during General Sherman's march south during the American civil war. That war was infamous for the advancement of weapons technology with the aim of inflicting the maximum of damage to the human body. I find that to be very offensive relative to the benign term of "Eskimos."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If they change the Eskimos name, then the Redblacks name has to be next on the list.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wonder when their will be a public outcry in the city over the name "Whyte" Avenue?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The problem with kowtowing to the social corrective mob, is that, even if you don't really care about them getting someone to simply change the name of a football team, and just hope it will go away then, they will continue to press for other things that bother them, until one of those potential changes really affects you or your livelihood. And by then, precedent will have been well set, and there is no turning back. Society is splintered into so many self interest groups, that I believe we will get to the point where every single person will find something to be offended by.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sounds like they are once again looking for more feedback. I don’t know if this issue will ever go away for good.

Twitter is such a cesspool and so unrepresentative. Vast majority of course there, in that one domain are all clamoring for the name to be changed. For whatever random reasons.

is there a bigger leftist social media echo chamber than twitter? if there is I don't want anything to do with it either.

The Eskimos ultimately are responsible for their fans and prospective fans. I don't think many of these haters on twitter are going to order STH ever, regardless.

Really the Esks don't have to do anymore than poll game attendees. That they are doing more consultation should be seen as a plus. But the twitter mob are blazing them FOR the feedback attempts.

damned if you do....

maybe the distant mob that has no connection with the football team, and are not fans, could realize they shouldn't attempt to control what the team, or others refer to in the name. They don't want consultation, they want agenda control, they want to change it all as a demonstration of power. Its not even about the name. This just sprung up again because of the one Eskimo player last week that made the sexist comment. Its just noise.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Twitter is such a cesspool and so unrepresentative. Vast majority of course there, in that one domain are all clamoring for the name to be changed. For whatever random reasons.

is there a bigger leftist social media echo chamber than twitter? if there is I don't want anything to do with it either.

The Eskimos ultimately are responsible for their fans and prospective fans. I don't think many of these haters on twitter are going to order STH ever, regardless.

Really the Esks don't have to do anymore than poll game attendees. That they are doing more consultation should be seen as a plus. But the twitter mob are blazing them FOR the feedback attempts.

damned if you do....

maybe the distant mob that has no connection with the football team, and are not fans, could realize they shouldn't attempt to control what the team, or others refer to in the name. They don't want consultation, they want agenda control, they want to change it all as a demonstration of power. Its not even about the name. This just sprung up again because of the one Eskimo player last week that made the sexist comment. Its just noise.
It all depends on whose twitter account you are looking at. Tons of right wing echo chambers there too. It's a large mix of both, you get different ones coming out depending on the day to be honest.

Edmonton is a relatively left wing city (especially by Alberta standards) so you will see tons more left wing people on things related to Edmonton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It all depends on whose twitter account you are looking at. Tons of right wing echo chambers there too. It's a large mix of both, you get different ones coming out depending on the day to be honest.

Edmonton is a relatively left wing city (especially by Alberta standards) so you will see tons more left wing people on things related to Edmonton

Clarity. Edmonton is more left wing than Alberta. Yes. This does not equate to that Edmonton is left wing. Certainly its not the case that "tons more" left wingers reside in Edmonton. More conservatives exist in Edmonton, just they don't fill every echo chamber with 500 messages a day. Thus my stating that its just noise.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Clarity. Edmonton is more left wing than Alberta. Yes. This does not equate to that Edmonton is left wing. Certainly its not the case that "tons more" left wingers reside in Edmonton. More conservatives exist in Edmonton, just they don't fill every echo chamber with 500 messages a day. Thus my stating that its just noise.
Twitter for the most part is younger and Edmonton's younger population skews far more left than the older generation.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The problem with kowtowing to the social corrective mob, is that, even if you don't really care about them getting someone to simply change the name of a football team, and just hope it will go away then, they will continue to press for other things that bother them, until one of those potential changes really affects you or your livelihood. And by then, precedent will have been well set, and there is no turning back. Society is splintered into so many self interest groups, that I believe we will get to the point where every single person will find something to be offended by.
I don't personally have an issue with Eskimos. I do know Redskins definitely should change their name cause it was a derogatory word forever and is still quite offensive tons ton. However that one is an exception.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was amused when I read the tweet from the Nunavut MP which said "since there's no consensus on the name it means you should change it."

I wonder what issue we have in today's society where there is consensus?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

damned if you do....

That's it exactly---its about a demonstration of power and it has little to do with the frustrations and feelings of minority groups.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A few tweeters suggested Edmonton Energy which isn't bad really but then you'll have all the oil and gas haters take to the media demanding that it be changed to read Edmonton Alternate Energies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
A few tweeters suggested Edmonton Energy which isn't bad really but then you'll have all the oil and gas haters take to the media demanding that it be changed to read Edmonton Alternate Energies.
Edmonton Environmentals.

greta is our mascot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad