Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I guess that's good for us. But if anything, I bet Calgary has another star QB in the backups as we speak since they seem to know how to produce them.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder if this had nothing to do with finances but rather political correctness.

Either way, they always had the most beautiful cheerleaders in the league.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, they would certainly be better acquisitions than Anthony Orange was. He's a UFA again.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Has to be finances. Hopefully they won't force the players to have to dig into their pockets to use the coke machine.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just reading today that the Argos may be parting ways with Walker, I wonder if he could be headed back to the EE?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just reading today that the Argos may be parting ways with Walker, I wonder if he could be headed back to the EE?

Esks do have quite a bit of cap space, but they also need to re-sign a bunch of guys on D.

However, getting rid of Orange and not re-signing Gable (I think the plan is to go with Cooper) opens up quite a bit of space.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Esks do have quite a bit of cap space, but they also need to re-sign a bunch of guys on D.

However, getting rid of Orange and not re-signing Gable (I think the plan is to go with Cooper) opens up quite a bit of space.
I knew about Orange but not about Gable. Was that on their twitter page?

As for Walker, yes he won't come cheap at 200k?(argo salary last year) but I wonder if Ellingson will return?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I knew about Orange but not about Gable. Was that on their twitter page.

As for Walker, yes he won't come cheap at 275K (argo salary) but I wonder if Ellingson will return?

I'm just going on the fact that Gable is 32 years old. That's usually the age where RBs fall right off the map. I don't think Sunderland will re-sign him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm just going on the fact that Gable is 32 years old. That's usually the age where RBs fall right off the map. I don't think Sunderland will re-sign him.

No doubt that Gable had lost some of his lateral mobility last year and that's what you need to break past the front 7.

I like Cooper's explosiveness but I wonder if he's a cold weather back?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No doubt that Gable had lost some of his lateral mobility last year and that's what you need to break past the front 7.

I like Cooper's explosiveness but I wonder if he's a cold weather back?

I think the writing was on the wall when the brought Jordan Robinson back a few weeks ago. My guess is they go with Cooper-Robinson as the RB tandem. Gable being UFA will cost a lot to re-sign and I think Sunderland knows it's not worth it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the writing was on the wall when the brought Jordan Robinson back a few weeks ago. My guess is they go with Cooper-Robinson as the RB tandem. Gable being UFA will cost a lot to re-sign and I think Sunderland knows it's not worth it.

Interesting, I was aware that Cooper was coming back but not Robinson.

Yes, I think that would be a pretty good combo and yes that probably spells the end for CJ. I feel for the guy, he's a tough football player and a real Eskimo but the end comes pretty quickly for running backs and it looked like he was done by the 2nd half of last season.

I say this every year but I would sure like to see a power back in the backfield.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting, I was aware that Cooper was coming back but not Robinson.

Yes, I think that would be a pretty good combo and yes that probably spells the end for CJ. I feel for the guy, he's a tough football player and a real Eskimo but the end comes pretty quickly for running backs and it looked like he was done by the 2nd half of last season.

I say this every year but I would sure like to see a power back in the backfield.

I agree except to say that I think CJ doesnt get enough credit for his blocking skills.
I am not sure that either Cooper or Robinson can fill those shoes.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It really is a joke that this League pays the majority its players bottom of barrel salaries and still on occasion a team has to ask them to take pay cuts.
Ridiculous.

Why is it a joke? Orange is now a free agent free to go to the highest bidder. Teams have also been releasing players to pursue NFL opportunities, knowing those players will be free agents upon returning to the CFL, despite not technically being under any obligation to do so, so this works both ways. Veterans on big contracts being asked to take paycuts or getting outright released after sub-par seasons is part of the business, and everyone knows this (or should) when they sign on the dotted line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why is it a joke? Orange is now a free agent free to go to the highest bidder. Teams have also been releasing players to pursue NFL opportunities, knowing those players will be free agents upon returning to the CFL, despite not technically being under any obligation to do so, so this works both ways. Veterans on big contracts being asked to take paycuts or getting outright released after sub-par seasons is part of the business, and everyone knows this (or should) when they sign on the dotted line.
Very true. It's a business all around, and sometimes things turn out for the players, like getting out of contacts and headed to greener pastures (NFL) and other times it goes the other way. Orange was not great shakes here, and likely a disappointment. Someone else can have him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah I don't get how this isn't fair to the players. Nobody is making them play the sport, and nobody is making them play in the CFL. There is a wide world of opportunities out there, if you don't like the way you are treated in one profession, go learn another one and try making an impact in that profession.

That being said, I don't blame him one bit for not taking a pay cut, I wouldn't likely accept that either and would go find another job. I just wouldn't bitch about it on Twitter afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad