Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Damn, I'd give anything to be in this thread bitching about bad coaching decisions, poor officiating, and the command centre right about now...no NHL playoffs was weird, but hockey being played after the May long weekend is dumb anyway. No CFL in the summer just feels wrong though.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
From Adam:

fasdfsafa.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Very curious to see what is going to happen. How many american players are going to come here to make what is probably half if not even less than they usually would?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Reading his tweets after his original, this "apology" was an attempt to save his job, nothing more. Looks like it was too little far to late.
I suspect he would have been released anyway after those comments, but any leverage he had with regards to talent and a starting position was severely diminished when the Esks signed Terry Williams. There was a realistic chance Jones was going to get cut anyway (unless Williams wins the start RB spot!), and this just cemented that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reading his tweets after his original, this "apology" was an attempt to save his job, nothing more. Looks like it was too little far to late.
I must have completely checked out on the Esks after the departure of Reilly and the team cratering and more fail seasons. Whodaf*** is Christion Jones?

What did he actually say?

I don't get these apologies either. Seems silly to apologize for what your own mindset is. I mean what does it really mean. "I had all these beliefs but now I'm going to apologize for it" In general that seems silly. But it seems always to be required, and oddly granted.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I must have completely checked out on the Esks after the departure of Reilly and the team cratering and more fail seasons. Whodaf*** is Christion Jones?

What did he actually say?

I don't get these apologies either. Seems silly to apologize for what your own mindset is. I mean what does it really mean. "I had all these beliefs but now I'm going to apologize for it" In general that seems silly. But it seems always to be required, and oddly granted.
Out if nowhere, during pride month he said
"Ima keep it this real....
Man ain't supposed to be with a man.
A woman is not suppose to be with another women.

THATS ME THO!
Live life with safety"

Now on its own its tiresome homophobic nonsense. Janis Irwin said essentially "Hey what you said is hurtful, and I'm willing to have a chat with you to help you understand why". He basically shit on her and said nah. So people on twitter went in and he kept doubling down. Screaming that it was his just opinion and how it was wrong for people to be coming at him because he was a black man and that's why they wanted to silence him.

Apologies make sense of you say something, don't realize that it was hurtful and are apologizing for your ignorance. But he was just apologizing to try and save his career.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
But no matter what he said, is it not called freedom of speech? I don't think it was much of a rant but it was a strident opinion and he had to know that with recent events it wasn't going to be too popular with the public.

I don't think too many people will agree with what he said (and it was a dumb thing to say especially on social media-- the guy is obviously not a rocket scientist) but does he have the right to say it? That is the real issue.

This is all starting to get pretty scary and I am not talking about the Jones case. Where exactly does this end?

On the football side--someone must have cast a spell on the EE return game. A decade plus of broken dreams. Other teams seem to find good returners

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
But no matter what he said, is it not called freedom of speech? I don't think it was much of a rant but it was a strident opinion and he had to know that with recent events it wasn't going to be too popular with the public.

I don't think too many people will agree with what he said (and it was a dumb thing to say especially on social media-- the guy is obviously not a rocket scientist) but does he have the right to say it? That is the real issue.

This is all starting to get pretty scary and I am not talking about the Jones case. Where exactly does this end?

On the football side--someone must have cast a spell on the EE return game. A decade plus of broken dreams. Other teams seem to find good returners

He has the freedom to say what he wanted. The football club has the freedom to release him from his position for holding those views.

There's a reason why most hockey players have been trained to be robots during interviews.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Freedom of Speech has ONLY every meant that the government can't restrict what you can and cannot say. That has never been extended to places of work. (Canada doesn't have freedom of speech cause we have restrictions against hate speech).

He can say that. It's his rights to. Others have the right to disagree. His employer who has been pushing for inclusion, making the league feel like a safe place for all, also has the right to let him go for directly being against those beliefs.

He has his opinion and that's fine, but when you are a pro athlete you are part of the public face of your team, and when you say things, publically that go against the beliefs of your company they are well within their rights to let you go.

I also find it ironic that someone who says that he doesn't believe in it cause of religion also thinks throwing around a pig skin is fine and slavery is wrong when the bible says otherwise.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Kneeling for the anthem is such a pointless token gesture and it confuses stupid people. The Federal government and the military branch of the USA have nothing to do with discriminatory and systematic racism issues. These are arguments i keep hearing from stupid people about how a certain orange man is creating these problems with his stupid tweets, its like this problem did not exist 4 years ago.

The State and Federal level are separate and have nothing to do with each other, certain Federal supreme courts can override a decision if its deemed as a huge enough problem. The states that are having the most issues right now are democratic because they suck at running institutions logically and get voted in based on stupid promises based on idealism instead of pragmatism. In other words they can't promise or practice what they preach. Terms such a defund the police have dumb people convinced this is exactly what they will do, but all they will do is rebrand and divert funds in such a way that they can pocket more tax payer money while keeping the status quo intact while attaching a different label to it.

Kneeling for the anthem does nothing. If you want to make a difference get people together to start tearing down corrupt unions, that's where the problems start. Paper driven, nepotistic organizations that make huge campaign contributions to one party to favor their corrupt money laundering. Am i saying all unions are bad? no. The teamsters were corrupt as hell and run by the mob, the Police union is a corrupt joke.

Division isnot the intention of this post, but look at who's running the most corrupt cesspool in the united stated and stop voting for these people. Vote for people based on integrity instead of what team jersey they are wearing.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

You're confusing freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.

He has every right to say what he did (considering he did say it and isn't in jail or anything). But he can't cry about their being consequences from what he said.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He has every right to say what he did (considering he did say it and isn't in jail or anything). But he can't cry about their being consequences from what he said.
I mean he can cry about the consequences, he is free to do so...won't change anything but he is free to cry about them :P

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ahhh, but in all these job loss consequences its the court of social media opinion that is in effect *convicting* job loss. The social media is also being the venue for it.

So that its incident, domain, jury, judge, conviction, all under one convenient roof. It always is now. These people are being taken down in social media, by factions that will mass bomb this to industry until such instances result in firing.

Given that people don't have livelihood without jobs its pretty severe tribunal, nonetheless.

The same silly individual could say the same thing to a group of friends, or on the phone in 1995 and nothing would have happened to him.

Its the nature of universal social media that is resulting in all of these rapid firings. By rapid fire.

Not defending the comments. I don't have a horse in that race. But that everybody should just lose their job automatically for expressing what their thoughts are is somewhat problematic. Or maybe we believe it isn't until it happens to us, or a colleague.

The consequences are temporally specious, are connected to a specific time zeitgeist, are selective, and are doctrine and faction oriented and controlled. Ironically the NDP would have to similarly convict Tommy Douglas on his own views, if he were around today, inconvenient truth.

Doesn't matter, the mob rules.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Not defending the comments. I don't have a horse in that race. But that everybody should just lose their job automatically for expressing what their thoughts are is somewhat problematic. Or maybe we believe it isn't until it happens to us, or a colleague.

If you have an opinion that gets you fired from a job then it's probably a dumb opinion to begin with. Nothing to do with mob mentality.

Go tell your boss to "f*** off" and call them an "asshole" or a "piece of shit incompetent moron" and say that's just freedom of speech and thus you are free from consequences lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ahhh, but in all these job loss consequences its the court of social media opinion that is in effect *convicting* job loss. The social media is also being the venue for it.

So that its incident, domain, jury, judge, conviction, all under one convenient roof. It always is now. These people are being taken down in social media, by factions that will mass bomb this to industry until such instances result in firing.

Given that people don't have livelihood without jobs its pretty severe tribunal, nonetheless.

The same silly individual could say the same thing to a group of friends, or on the phone in 1995 and nothing would have happened to him.

Its the nature of universal social media that is resulting in all of these rapid firings. By rapid fire.

The consequences are temporally specious, are connected to a specific time zeitgeist, are selective, and are doctrine and faction oriented and controlled. Ironically the NDP would have to similarly convict Tommy Douglas on his own views, if he were around today, inconvenient truth.

Doesn't matter, the mob rules.
I mean yeah you say those things in 1995 to your friends in private and people don't bat an eye. The equivalent of social media back then was going on TV and saying that shit. Which wasn't acceptable back then. Well, maybe his specific comments would of been but you know what I mean.

Also public figures who have the privilege of making shit tons of money to entertain us have always been held to different standards than someone working at McDonalds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad