Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The best and more hilarious thing that could happen to this organization is if the Lions manage to win the Grey Cup. The Stamps winning in Edmonton would be the next most amazing thing. I may be a horrible fan for thinking these 2 things need to happen for the clown show to be purged from the organization.

If another underdog non western rival wins it, they will just say, see everyone has a chance and use that narrative with a weak roster next season. I would not even put it past them to just be lazy and keep Maas around, no need to interview candidates when you already have one around. The sad part is, this is all a possibility and we all know it. In fact i believe this contributed a big factor to Maas having a bigger rope this year.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The best and more hilarious thing that could happen to this organization is if the Lions manage to win the Grey Cup. The Stamps winning in Edmonton would be the next most amazing thing. I may be a horrible fan for thinking these 2 things need to happen for the clown show to be purged from the organization.

If another underdog non western rival wins it, they will just say, see everyone has a chance and use that narrative with a weak roster next season. I would not even put it past them to just be lazy and keep Maas around, no need to interview candidates when you already have one around. The sad part is, this is all a possibility and we all know it. In fact i believe this contributed a big factor to Maas having a bigger rope this year.

I don't think Calgary winning the Grey Cup would have any bearing on the fate of Maas/management. The optics of BC winning it would certainly incite public outrage, but it's not like this organization gave a damn last November when public outrage should have seen Maas' ouster after the West Final field goal debacle. In reality, the mass exodus of irate season ticket holders and their wallets are probably the only thing that would catch any of the board's attention.

On the football field, I see this Grey Cup as between Calgary, Sask, Ottawa, and perhaps Winnipeg. Hamilton has been dealt a severe blow with Banks out for the season. BC just honestly isn't that good, especially away from home. I would be stunned if they won the Cup, likely needing three straight road wins in November in Regina/Calgary/Edmonton to do so. 9-7 is a bit of a mirage. The win over Hamilton a few weeks ago was a miraculous turn of events that might happen one time in 100. Early season win over Winnipeg required multiple Bomber turnovers at the Lions goal line en route to a 4th quarter Winnipeg implosion. You are what your record says you are, but the Lions probably ought to be 7-9. Call it sour grapes, but we got screwed by the officials in very narrow losses in Toronto and Hamilton back in the summer, and should probably be 10-7, despite Maas' supreme idiocy. Imagine if even one of the 4 games cited above had broken our way...

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I think I'm just going to ignore the game tonight to play Red Dead 2 and just check the scores in the morning. I can't openly cheer for Calgary and at least my night won't be ruined with bad news.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think Calgary winning the Grey Cup would have any bearing on the fate of Maas/management. The optics of BC winning it would certainly incite public outrage, but it's not like this organization gave a damn last November when public outrage should have seen Maas' ouster after the West Final field goal debacle. In reality, the mass exodus of irate season ticket holders and their wallets are probably the only thing that would catch any of the board's attention.

On the football field, I see this Grey Cup as between Calgary, Sask, Ottawa, and perhaps Winnipeg. Hamilton has been dealt a severe blow with Banks out for the season. BC just honestly isn't that good, especially away from home. I would be stunned if they won the Cup, likely needing three straight road wins in November in Regina/Calgary/Edmonton to do so. 9-7 is a bit of a mirage. The win over Hamilton a few weeks ago was a miraculous turn of events that might happen one time in 100. Early season win over Winnipeg required multiple Bomber turnovers at the Lions goal line en route to a 4th quarter Winnipeg implosion. You are what your record says you are, but the Lions probably ought to be 7-9. Call it sour grapes, but we got screwed by the officials in very narrow losses in Toronto and Hamilton back in the summer, and should probably be 10-7, despite Maas' supreme idiocy. Imagine if even one of the 4 games cited above had broken our way...

I'm of the mind that, despite records, this league has shown that the team playing the best in November usually wins the cup, records be damned. For that reason, I lump the Lions into the contender category.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I never support a team having to back their way in. Esks deserve nothing but elimination. Stamps, if their past behavior is at all typical will allow the Bombers to win to eliminate the Esks. I'd be surprised if Stamps win and wouldn't want it.

Next weeks home game deserves to be a boo fest for this org. The Esks put themselves in this position and don't deserve a way out of it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I never support a team having to back their way in. Esks deserve nothing but elimination. Stamps, if their past behavior is at all typical will allow the Bombers to win to eliminate the Esks. I'd be surprised if Stamps win and wouldn't want it.

Next weeks home game deserves to be a boo fest for this org. The Esks put themselves in this position and don't deserve a way out of it.
Esks definitely deserve to be sitting at home during the playoffs.

Embarrassing performance from almost everyone, starts at the top.

Missing the playoffs the year you host the greycup, when is the last time that has happened?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Missing the playoffs the year you host the greycup, when is the last time that has happened?

Read it somewhere. In a nutshell 9 times in the last 30yrs a hosting team has not been in the Grey Cup. But its now the last 3/4 if the Esks miss.

Oddly, perhaps, just going on memory the Esks have only been in only one of the 4 Grey Cups they have hosted in that span (including missing this one) I was at that game, pretty disappointing loss but against a powerhouse Montreal team. Crap, both GC's I've been to were won by Montreal..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It's the CFL if they make it they deserve it, if they don't they don't. Such a crap shoot league

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The only reason the Stamps might want to win this is to get out of the slide they’re in. Another loss and they could conceivably go into the playoffs not having won in over a month. That doesn’t usually lead to a lot of success in this league. The poster above mentioned it’s usually the team that’s hot going into November that wins the Grey Cup. Whether they can win or not is another story.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Brock Sunderland on gregors show when asked if Jason Maas will be back next season....I'm paraphrasing here....

"We will review that once the results of the next few games come in."

So even though they signed Maas to an extension recently Sunderland wouldn't commit to saying that Maas will be back next season.

Interesting.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Brock Sunderland on gregors show when asked if Jason Maas will be back next season....I'm paraphrasing here....

So even though they signed Maas to an extension recently Sunderland wouldn't commit to saying that Maas will be back next season.

Interesting.
Maas is as good as gone IMO...playoffs or not
he'd have to make the Grey Cup to save his job

it's been such a disappointing and underwhelming year that someone needs to be held accountable...and it won't be Rhodes

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maas is as good as gone IMO...playoffs or not
he'd have to make the Grey Cup to save his job

it's been such a disappointing and underwhelming year that someone needs to be held accountable...and it won't be Rhodes

I suspect that you are right and (much to my dismay) I think you are right about Rhodes.
A shame really because Rhodes is by far the biggest problem with this team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Interesting.

Sure, it doesn't surprise me that he would say this.

Remember that Maas was not Sunderland's pick for coach, but instead was the first choice of St. Edward Hervey.

Hervey spoke eloquently of his friend Jason who has since proven to be a major bust and a critical mistake for the organization.

Those extensions all have buyout clauses and will not save you from getting fired. Butter or not, you are toast if you don't win and Jason has now had his 3 years at the helm to prove himself, standard issue for all head coaches.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Remember that Maas was not Sunderland's pick for coach, but instead was the first choice of St. Edward Hervey.

Hervey spoke eloquently of his friend Jason who has since proven to be a major bust and a critical mistake for the organization.

Those extensions all have buyout clauses and will not save you from getting fired. Butter or nut, you are toast if you don't win and Jason has now had his 3 years at the helm to prove himself, standard issue for all head coaches.

The thing is though...if Maas didnt have Sunderlands approval he would have never signed Maas to an extension when he did. IMO Maas is a failure as a HC. I dont need to see any more evidence to know this.

The ONLY issue I see in firing Maas is that you almost definitely lose Reilly as well. So they have to keep a sub par coach just to have a chance at keeping their franchise QB. If they lose Reilly then its years and years of Montreal type success. Its a no win and it is by and large one mans fault.

The bottom line for me is that this organization is a mess...a joke...an embarrassment... and it all falls at the feet of Mr Len Rhodes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The thing is though...if Maas didnt have Sunderlands approval he would have never signed Maas to an extension when he did. IMO Maas is a failure as a HC. I dont need to see any more evidence to know this.

The ONLY issue I see in firing Maas is that you almost definitely lose Reilly as well. So they have to keep a sub par coach just to have a chance at keeping their franchise QB. If they lose Reilly then its years and years of Montreal type success. Its a no win and it is by and large one mans fault.

The bottom line for me is that this organization is a mess...a joke...an embarrassment... and it all falls at the feet of Mr Len Rhodes.

Yes, you make some good points.

I listened to the show on the link and yes as you say it was interesting to hear Gregor say that if Maas gets the gate then no way is Reilly going to stay here and risk playing for someone he doesn't know at this stage of his career (paraphrase).

So if Gregor is right then you go all out and sign Reilly after you have assured him that Maas is staying. So yes, keep your #1 QB but stick with the same head coach which you (and others) have stated is a failure. What a great choice. How do you win in that scenario?

Loved the bit about Reilly going to Calgary after Bo takes his shot at a backup NFL position. That would have people in an uproar.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, you make some good points.

I listened to the show on the link and it was interesting to hear Gregor say that if Maas gets the gate then no way is Reilly going to stay here and risk playing for someone he doesn't know at this stage of his career (paraphrase).

So if Gregor is right then you go all out and sign Reilly after you have assured him that Maas is staying. So yes, keep your #1 QB but stick with the same head coach which you (and others) have stated is a failure. What a great choice. How do you win in that scenario?

Loved the bit about Reilly going to Calgary after Bo takes his shot at a backup NFL position. That would have people in an uproar.

Yeah the Reilly to Calgary thing was a scenario that I didnt even consider.

If I am Mike Reilly and I am a free agent and I had to decide between Edmonton and Calgary strictly on the quality of each organization then the choice is obvious. Calgary is head and shoulders a better run organization than Edmonton.
Its not even close.
Its so far fetched but if Reilly does end up in Calgary and Bo Levi fails in the NFL he could end up in Edmonton.

That would be nutty as it gets but the CFL is a nutty League. :nod:

Back to reality....as for the Eskimos...I completely share your frustration about this team. For me it all comes down to the BoD. They have failed the organization, the fans and the city.
The structure and accountability of that board has to change before this org can aspire to reach the level of the Calgary Stampeders which I believe is what Eskimo fans deserve.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Those extensions all have buyout clauses and will not save you from getting fired. Butter or not, you are toast if you don't win and Jason has now had his 3 years at the helm to prove himself, standard issue for all head coaches.
Aren’t the Lions going to be looking for a new coach next year? Think Hervey makes that same mistake twice?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah the Reilly to Calgary thing was a scenario that I didnt even consider.

If I am Mike Reilly and I am a free agent and I had to decide between Edmonton and Calgary strictly on the quality of each organization then the choice is obvious. Calgary is head and shoulders a better run organization than Edmonton.
Its not even close.
Its so far fetched but if Reilly does end up in Calgary and Bo Levi fails in the NFL he could end up in Edmonton.

That would be nutty as it gets but the CFL is a nutty League. :nod:

Back to reality....as for the Eskimos...I completely share your frustration about this team. For me it all comes down to the BoD. They have failed the organization, the fans and the city.
The structure and accountability of that board has to change before this org can aspire to reach the level of the Calgary Stampeders which I believe is what Eskimo fans deserve.

Agree completely about the BOD. All organizations are a reflection of the character at the very top of the food chain.

That scenario about Reilly replacing NFL bound Bo who ultimately fails in the NFL and then ends up in Edmonton would make for a good movie but of course it won't happen. The Stamps won't make any big time financial commitments to anybody at QB unless they were convinced that Bo was going to stick long term in the NFL. At this point we don't even know if he will he will get an NFL offer but I think the Cowboys will take a close look at a Texas boy with a good arm.

Something I could see happening is Reilly going to B.C. who in turn will have to cut Lulay because no way can they afford both in a tight cap league. Perhaps Lulay then comes to the EE. It will be an interesting off-season but I agree with Gregor that I don't see any quick fixes for the EE. He also indicated that Rhodes would stay so as I like to say pass the vodka.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Aren’t the Lions going to be looking for a new coach next year? Think Hervey makes that same mistake twice?

Another compelling scenario.

I think the only things thats predictable about this off season is that its going to be interesting.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Read it somewhere. In a nutshell 9 times in the last 30yrs a hosting team has not been in the Grey Cup. But its now the last 3/4 if the Esks miss.

Oddly, perhaps, just going on memory the Esks have only been in only one of the 4 Grey Cups they have hosted in that span (including missing this one) I was at that game, pretty disappointing loss but against a powerhouse Montreal team. Crap, both GC's I've been to were won by Montreal..

I think you must be referring to playoffs instead of Grey Cup games as it isn't all too common the home team in in the actual final.

There was a hot stretch a few years back when the home team won the Grey Cup three years in a row, but before that it was pretty uncommon, Montreal hosted in 2008 (loss), Edmonton in 2002 (loss), BC in 1994 (win), BC in 1983 (loss). Before that, the league didn't really spread out grey cup and mostly just played in Montreal, Toronto or BC.

Missing playoff in a host year though is pretty rare until recently, Toronto in 2016, Winnipeg in 2015, BC was a crossover in 2014, Edmonton missed in 2010, Ottawa in 2004, Winnipeg in 1998, Saskatchewan in 1995 (but there were 13 teams that year), Toronto in 1992, BC in 1990, Ottawa in 1988, then it's too far back to be relevent.

PS, at least Montreal won't win this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad