Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Riders are a weird team.

Yes they are a very bizarre team. Looking strictly at the points for and against, one team has 415-428 (-13) while another team has 449-447 (+2).

One team is 11-7, the other is 8-9. If you were to ask anyone who would the second place team be going off points for, against and differential, most would probably pick the team with more points for and a positive point differential. Yet it's the other team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Curious to see how things play out.

I'm thinking Rhodes hires a guy to oversee football and he sticks to the business side of things.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Love Ed Hervey even some more for spelling this out. This org deserves those digs. Too bad the fanbase doesn't get rights of recall and do overs and mulligans.

I'm cheering for BC the remainder of this season.

The board of directors that hired Rhodes needs to be reading these outspoken Hervey quotes.

Seldom in pro sports are such things so obviously expressed. Would be funny if other GM's and league personalities started picking up on the Hervey Quotes.

Keep it coming Ed!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Love Ed Hervey even some more for spelling this out. This org deserves those digs. Too bad the fanbase doesn't get rights of recall and do overs and mulligans.

The board of directors that hired Rhodes needs to be reading these outspoken Hervey quotes.

Seldom in pro sports are such things so obviously expressed. Would be funny if other GM's and league personalities started picking up on the Hervey Quotes.

Keep it coming Ed!

Agree

Can you imagine how refreshing this would be if this applied to the Oilers? Man transparency is the truth serum!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Keep it coming Ed!
to be fair, Len Rhodes did say there's more to it than winning

so the organization is reaping what he sowed

this clown needed to be fired after last season

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I get all that, but what more is there than winning that we saw this year?

Trying to revive washed up rappers shouldn't be the more than winning he was talking about.
who knows

to be clear, I'm not defending Rhodes in the least...I'm saying when winning isn't the bottom line like he said, this is what occurs...

an organizational mess that is the Eskimos

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Agree

Can you imagine how refreshing this would be if this applied to the Oilers? Man transparency is the truth serum!

Sometimes it does. It was funny when Bieksa Said the 2006sharks called and want their PP back, referring to the Oilers PP last season.

Actually the Oilers org hs been called out a lot externally by other orgs and players.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think more correctly stated...Len Rhodes was threatened by Hervey.
Strong Managers surround themselves with strong people. Weak Managers fire strong people and surround themselves with people that dont threaten them.

Which group of Managers do you think are more likely to be successful?

This is part of the reason why I respect Mclellan so much. He purposefully surrounded himself with people that could easily take his job if he stumbles. Weak people don't ever do that.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It would be a start at least.
The last few years of foulups haven't given you any indication? How many more ridiculous, worn out half-time acts, and screwed up promotions do you need to see? The guy was fired from his former promotions job before coming here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And now, to throw some gas on the fire, the media guy closest to the team, beat writer Gerry Modejonge, says in an article in the Journal that Maas may have now lost the room. One player said what they did in the 2nd half vs the Lions was “insanity”.
If any of the players were speaking out after the West Final it was to support Maas. Not many did but some did, they were being team players. They gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping he’d learn from it. That he did something just as stupid the next time the team was in what was essentially an elimination game just proves to them his judgement can’t be trusted. He let them down again and there’s no defending him this time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The last few years of foulups haven't given you any indication? How many more ridiculous, worn out half-time acts, and screwed up promotions do you need to see? The guy was fired from his former promotions job before coming here.
In all fairness I don't think the half time shows are the issue. I don't think people are staying away because of them, just like I don't think people are really coming because of them.

It is a waste of money that does hurt the bottom line though. A bottom line that isn't as a large as it once was.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Hervey must have had an ear to ear grin on his face after Saturday’s game and rightfully so. Didn’t take long at all for him to make the Eskimos front office look like complete jack asses. Eskimos fans, of course, knew that they were already. But it’s nice for it to be called out outside the market.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
not posting much any more, but will say the biggest mistake the esks made in the last 20 years was not hiring Sean Fleming.

Reactions: bone

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In all fairness I don't think the half time shows are the issue. I don't think people are staying away because of them, just like I don't think people are really coming because of them.

It is a waste of money that does hurt the bottom line though. A bottom line that isn't as a large as it once was.
I think the half time shows are irrelevant.

People aren’t seeing who’s playing at halftime and basing their decision to go the game on that. They are deciding whether or not to go by how well the team is playing. The most important thing the team can do to acquire fans is fielding a good football team. One with good players and competent people running it.

Where Rhodes has really missed the boat is using these acts at halftime. People use halftime to go to the concessions, go for a smoke and go to the rest room. The majority won’t be paying attention to who is playing other than what they hear on the loudspeaker or see on the TVs while their in concessions lineups. Do you need to hire an act for that?

If he wants to hire an act as a bonus for the fans they should either be playing before or after the game, which is what was done for years by others before he got here. He’s another guy who thought he could reinvent the wheel and has failed spectacularly. The worst part is he actually thinks this stuff is more important that the team itself. It was reported he took money out of the football budget to pay for Vanilla ice. Football isn’t his priority and he’s the guy in charge of everything. It’s mindboggling to see that was allowed to happen to this franchise. This organization is in even worse shape now than it was at the end of the Maccioca era. Who thought that was possible ten years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->