Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I think the half time shows are irrelevant.

People aren’t seeing who’s playing at halftime and basing their decision to go the game on that. They are deciding whether or not to go by how well the team is playing. The most important thing the team can do to acquire fans is fielding a good football team. One with good players and competent people running it.

Where Rhodes has really missed the boat is using these acts at halftime. People use halftime to go to the concessions, go for a smoke and go to the rest room. The majority won’t be paying attention to who is playing other than what they hear on the loudspeaker or see on the TVs while their in concessions lineups. Do you need to hire an act for that?

If he wants to hire an act as a bonus for the fans they should either be playing before or after the game, which is what was done for years by others before he got here. He’s another guy who thought he could reinvent the wheel and has failed spectacularly. The worst part is he actually thinks this stuff is more important that the team itself. It was reported he took money out of the football budget to pay for Vanilla ice. Football isn’t his priority and he’s the guy in charge of everything. It’s mindboggling to see that was allowed to happen to this franchise. This organization is in even worse shape now than it was at the end of the Maccioca era. Who thought that was possible ten years ago?
100% agree with everything here. It's been my gripe for years with half-time acts. Probably 75% of the fans are stretching their legs and in the concession areas during half-time. Why can't we put on a decent pre-game show/tailgate party before the game to get fans amped up?

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Sometimes it does. It was funny when Bieksa Said the 2006sharks called and want their PP back, referring to the Oilers PP last season.

Actually the Oilers org hs been called out a lot externally by other orgs and players.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Didn't realize it until thinking about players statements etc after they leave

Souray Ebs POS POS(!) And quite a few more

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Heard from a few people around the Stamps this week (well not too close I guess but living in the same city) that Devone Claybrooks might be headed to the EE if Maas gets his exit papers at the end of the season.

Claybrooks is well liked around the Stamps and has a rep of being intelligent, funny and very approachable. He could be just what the doctor ordered. Add to that the fact that Huff won't part with DD no matter what happens and it makes sense that Devone would certainly think about an offer from the EE. I think its the smart move for both parties.

I had a good laugh when I read Jones column. This is the same guy who adamantly defended Maas after last year's Brain malfunction in the Western Final. "Can't fire him because he's an excellent young coach" was the quote but I guess Jason got old in the last season. Jone's columns always read as "told you all along." Sorry Terry, the fans tried to tell you but you were busy telling everyone that you knew coaches...….

Last edited:

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Haven't really paid attention to the Esks this year but I suppose not renewing my season tickets this year was a good idea. What a poorly run team.

Just hoping that my future children (if they enjoy football) won't be exposed to this incompetence.

I feel like I was born in the wrong era for Edmonton sports. I saw a few Grey Cups but mostly the disappointment, frustration and embarrassment of two proud franchises crumbling at a rapid pace.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
100% agree with everything here. It's been my gripe for years with half-time acts. Probably 75% of the fans are stretching their legs and in the concession areas during half-time. Why can't we put on a decent pre-game show/tailgate party before the game to get fans amped up?
I remember 10 years ago maybe even longer they had that thing at foote field. Live bands and food, can't remember if there was drinks. But part of what made that a good day was the weather.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I remember 10 years ago maybe even longer they had that thing at foote field. Live bands and food, can't remember if there was drinks. But part of what made that a good day was the weather.
Was that meant as a pregame party for Eskimos games? I don’t recall those but if they were Eskimos related, seems like a long way to travel. I was a season ticket holder in the early nineties and I remember the team having picnics or barbecues before games in what was then Clarke Stadium. Thousands attended them. The team did better in the past and they didn’t need to hire a marketing guru to do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was that meant as a pregame party for Eskimos games? I don’t recall those but if they were Eskimos related, seems like a long way to travel. I was a season ticket holder in the early nineties and I remember the team having picnics or barbecues before games in what was then Clarke Stadium. Thousands attended them. The team did better in the past and they didn’t need to hire a marketing guru to do it.
Ah crap, meant Clarke

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't think that was tailgate parties at Clarke. They did have the Fan appreciation pregames with cheap burgers and pops and entertainment at Clarke. That even happened this year before first game. They did have a few instances where there was some pre and post entertainment from whatever *headliner* they chose, but those were badly attended, and indoors in the multiuse commonwealth facility. I remember a couple times where they were trying to sell tickets to the post game show and nobody was buying so in the end they announced they were just giving them away. So that I wonder what the people spending 10bucks felt about that. We took a couple free tickets, checked out a boring gathering and a boring act, and caught the next bus. WE even asked if we could have tickets for complimentary drinks and we'd stay, but they said no..;)

All of this being within the Rhodes Game event experience era. He has the completely wrong idea about what is attractive for fans.

Hardly anybody responded but I noted he corresponds with Disney (and has taken Disney training) on such things as event experience. he even puts that on his CV. I'm thinking I must not be representative of a Disney type audience.

But that gives probably a picture perfect glimpse into the types of things that matter for Rhodes. The guy has a heart, and is probably best suited as a CEO for a charity organization. He just isn't a match as far as I can see for being CEO of a passionate physical pro sport. So much disconnect.

Picture Len Rhodes with Mickey Mouse ears and you get a firmer picture of who he is.

Reactions: MessierII

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think the half time shows are irrelevant.

People aren’t seeing who’s playing at halftime and basing their decision to go the game on that. They are deciding whether or not to go by how well the team is playing. The most important thing the team can do to acquire fans is fielding a good football team. One with good players and competent people running it.

Where Rhodes has really missed the boat is using these acts at halftime. People use halftime to go to the concessions, go for a smoke and go to the rest room. The majority won’t be paying attention to who is playing other than what they hear on the loudspeaker or see on the TVs while their in concessions lineups. Do you need to hire an act for that?

If he wants to hire an act as a bonus for the fans they should either be playing before or after the game, which is what was done for years by others before he got here. He’s another guy who thought he could reinvent the wheel and has failed spectacularly. The worst part is he actually thinks this stuff is more important that the team itself. It was reported he took money out of the football budget to pay for Vanilla ice. Football isn’t his priority and he’s the guy in charge of everything. It’s mindboggling to see that was allowed to happen to this franchise. This organization is in even worse shape now than it was at the end of the Maccioca era. Who thought that was possible ten years ago?

Exactly. If you want to see a half time show you'll go see some other sort of entertainment, not a football game. If you want to go watch sports, you're there to see a good athletes execute at a high level. You didn't need a bunch of rappers to sell Moon. Shouldn't need them to sell Reilly.... but we're well aware that our management team thinks that Ludacris and BustaRhymes are more important than a good competitive roster; instead of getting an offense that can execute without Reilly getting smacked in the face we're seeing whose rap career we can resurrect.

Its disappointing at best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly. If you want to see a half time show you'll go see some other sort of entertainment, not a football game. If you want to go watch sports, you're there to see a good athletes execute at a high level. You didn't need a bunch of rappers to sell Moon. Shouldn't need them to sell Reilly.... but we're well aware that our management team thinks that Ludacris and BustaRhymes are more important than a good competitive roster; instead of getting an offense that can execute without Reilly getting smacked in the face we're seeing whose rap career we can resurrect.

I don't know if anyone watched it, but I saw a clip of gritty just nailing people on the ice during an intermission. Something stupid like that is more likely to get the fans into the games than anything.

At the end of the day you need to win. If this team is winning the town gets talking about the team in a good way again. People that aren't fans start wondering what the fuss is about. People that are casual fans start going more often.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see it on bodog, but the guy from oddsharks was saying Esks are still the #3 favourite to win Grey Cup.

He also said it's the first time since 16 that the Stamps have been an underdog.

Not sure how Lowetide found this guy, but I sure like his segment. Usually goes into a lot of detail to why.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't see it on bodog, but the guy from oddsharks was saying Esks are still the #3 favourite to win Grey Cup.

I don't think I would have read anywhere beyond this.

Is this just a non updated odds or is it actually what is currently thought. lol if it is.

Probability alone suggests odds against the Esks even making the playoffs which is not at all in their control.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Well, its not a rock show. I paid a lot of money to see Paul McCartney at Rogers Place but you don't really go to football games to see musical acts. Their presence there might attract a few hundred die-hard fans for whatever the musical act of the day is but its not a game changer.

I never thought I'd say this but I have mixed emotions about the Calgary-Winnipeg game.

Cheers for the Stamps (say what?) to beat Winnipeg and we still have a chance but part of me says let Winnipeg win so that the EE BOD is finally forced to ask some tough questions here about why the football team missed the playoffs for the second time in 35 years during a GC hosting event.

Its time that the EE organization really took a close look at the history of the club for the last 15 years and asked why this chronic mediocrity has set in.

Nobody likes Rhodes but I see him as symptom, not a cause and although I don't like Maas as a head coach I get the feeling that he has been left to drift without much help coming from the atmosphere around the club.

We were so spoiled with Campbell and Kimball---they have really proven to be irreplaceable since they left town.

Did I say let Winnipeg win? Uh-uh--Stamps by 25 and then it comes down to week 21.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, its not a rock show. I paid a lot of money to see Paul McCartney at Rogers Place but you don't really go to football games to see musical acts. Their presence there might attract a few hundred die-hard fans for whatever the musical act of the day is but its not a game changer.

I never thought I'd say this but I have mixed emotions about the Calgary-Winnipeg game.

Cheers for the Stamps (say what?) to beat Winnipeg and we still have a chance but part of me says let Winnipeg win so that the EE BOD is finally forced to ask some tough questions here about why the football team missed the playoffs for the second time in 35 years during a GC hosting event.

Its time that the EE organization really took a close look at the history of the club for the last 15 years and asked why this chronic mediocrity has set in.

Nobody likes Rhodes but I see him as symptom, not a cause and although I don't like Maas as a head coach I get the feeling that he has been left to drift without much help coming from the atmosphere around the club.

We were so spoiled with Campbell and Kimball---they have really proven to be irreplaceable since they left town.

Did I say let Winnipeg win? Uh-uh--Stamps by 25 and then it comes down to week 21.

IMO if you want the Esks organization to take a close look in the mirror and make some tough decisions then they need to miss the playoffs.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
IMO if you want the Esks organization to take a close look in the mirror and make some tough decisions then they need to miss the playoffs.

Sadly I admit you are probably right.

But that means my beloved Esks miss the playoffs and the indignity of missing the post season in a 9 team league (where 6 teams make the playoffs and one team in the league is named the Alouettes) really stings. More vodka please.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sadly I admit you are probably right.

But that means my beloved Esks miss the playoffs and the indignity of missing the playoffs in a 9 team league (where 6 make the playoffs and one team is named the Alouettes) really stings.

I hear you man. I feel the same way.
I think though its a question of enduring some short term pain in order to set up a possibility of some long term stability.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I hear you man. I feel the same way.
I think though its a question of enduring some short term pain in order to set up a possibility of some long term stability.

Absolutely.

I'd rather this one season go down in flames and then rebuild, than endure another mediocre playoff failure year after year after year.

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Would that even be enough for this group? They may look at two misses in thirty five years and think they’re doing a good job. We saw what should happen and what does happen are two different things last off-season.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Would that even be enough for this group? They may look at two misses in thirty five years and think they’re doing a good job. We saw what should happen and what does happen are two different things last off-season.

Valid point.
You outline a major problem with the Eskimos right now...the BoD and Len Rhodes are so dysfunctional from a football perspective that its difficult to know how they will interpret team failure.

Oct 15, 2008
Valid point.
You outline a major problem with the Eskimos right now...the BoD and Len Rhodes are so dysfunctional from a football perspective that its difficult to know how they will interpret team failure.
Empty seats.

Lots of them.

Same goes for the hockey team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Empty seats.

Lots of them.

Same goes for the hockey team.

I am actually not nearly as concerned with the hockey team compared to the football team.

In terms of the Eskimo attendance I think that there already has been a significant decline.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

He also said it's the first time since 16 that the Stamps have been an underdog.

Not sure how Lowetide found this guy, but I sure like his segment. Usually goes into a lot of detail to why.

The guy from oddshark was sniffing glue. Eskimos have by far the worst odds of any team not yet eliminated at +2000. Stampeders are still the heavy favourites at +140.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Valid point.

If they bring in Elvis for a half time show that could generate some real interest.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think that was tailgate parties at Clarke. They did have the Fan appreciation pregames with cheap burgers and pops and entertainment at Clarke. That even happened this year before first game. They did have a few instances where there was some pre and post entertainment from whatever *headliner* they chose, but those were badly attended, and indoors in the multiuse commonwealth facility. I remember a couple times where they were trying to sell tickets to the post game show and nobody was buying so in the end they announced they were just giving them away. So that I wonder what the people spending 10bucks felt about that. We took a couple free tickets, checked out a boring gathering and a boring act, and caught the next bus. WE even asked if we could have tickets for complimentary drinks and we'd stay, but they said no..;)

All of this being within the Rhodes Game event experience era. He has the completely wrong idea about what is attractive for fans.

Hardly anybody responded but I noted he corresponds with Disney (and has taken Disney training) on such things as event experience. he even puts that on his CV. I'm thinking I must not be representative of a Disney type audience.

But that gives probably a picture perfect glimpse into the types of things that matter for Rhodes. The guy has a heart, and is probably best suited as a CEO for a charity organization. He just isn't a match as far as I can see for being CEO of a passionate physical pro sport. So much disconnect.

Picture Len Rhodes with Mickey Mouse ears and you get a firmer picture of who he is.
Thanks for pointing out what those events at Clarke Stadium were. That was twenty five years ago for me and I couldn’t remember all the details, just that I was there for them. I wasn’t trying to suggest this would help the Eskimos now. I was saying the logic in the half time shows is so flawed that by comparison that was much better.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The issue is not whether the half time acts are relevant or not (they are not), but it appears there is more hype, effort and money spent in that department than needs to be, and much more of it needs to be concentrated on the on-field product. Len Rhodes is all about the popcorn sold at the circus and not the acts themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->