Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Sorry to the die-hard Eskimos fans (I used to be one) but I take great pleasure in this result. Hope they wallow in misery as long as Len Rhodes has any role in the team. He ruined the football organization to suit his own ego.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sorry to the die-hard Eskimos fans (I used to be one) but I take great pleasure in this result. Hope they wallow in misery as long as Len Rhodes has any role in the team. He ruined the football organization to suit his own ego.
Worst thing for me reading posts like this is I honestly believe the fans care a lot more about what happened this season than the people running the team do.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
We heard this guy named Busta try and Rhyme though, idk what you could even be so mad about.

There is more to professional sports than winning. We got Ludacris! He made a single with Carrie Underwood! Practically a Hollywood E list-er! Why would you care about winning anyway?! What kind of franchise would try and make the playoffs on a year where they host the championship game? Just silly the expectations here.

Why would we want the esks in the big game? We already have ALESSIA CARA!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reilly isn't in the teams most recent advertising splashes, just something I'm noticing as season has progressed. Normally I wouldn't read into anything like that but with the way Football Ops are here I think it might mean something.

I too think theres no particular reason why Reilly would want to stay on here with Maas. The Hervey comments not only were a shot to the Eskimos it was putting out there to a concummate competitor like Reilly that the Leo know what its actually about, winning.

Lulay always gets hurt so having Reilly makes sense for the Leos.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
We heard this guy named Busta try and Rhyme though, idk what you could even be so mad about.

There is more to professional sports than winning. We got Ludacris! He made a single with Carrie Underwood! Practically a Hollywood E list-er! Why would you care about winning anyway?! What kind of franchise would try and make the playoffs on a year where they host the championship game? Just silly the expectations here.

Why would we want the esks in the big game? We already have ALESSIA CARA!

Who? Does she play football? Can she hold onto the ball? can she coach?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
At the absolute very least, Jason Maas needs to move on, it is insane to sit here talking about this another wasted year later from his debacle in Calgary. I do not care one iota that he bleeds Green and Gold as Sunderland said on Gregor's show yesterday.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
When you take a look at the resources and community support that this team has received over the years its just ridiculous to note that there has been only one grey cup in the last 13 years. Especially when you look at how many things other teams have had to contend with.

To me the last 15 years is a series of missed opportunities. Its like going to the Playboy Mansion every weekend and always waking up in bed with Roseanne Barr. You have to be saying "why do I always end up here" but the fact is that you always do.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At the absolute very least, Jason Maas needs to move on, it is insane to sit here talking about this another wasted year later from his debacle in Calgary. I do not care one iota that he bleeds Green and Gold as Sunderland said on Gregor's show yesterday.

Yep. But to me something died in my being a fan last year in playoffs. It was bad enough with losing the Western Final and decision debacle but having all of Maas, Reilly, and Sunderland defending the decision in whacky descriptions confirmed I was was wasting my time with this org until different direction occurs. This org has wilted for long terms before, and some of you remember the Norm Kimball decade of darkness in the 60's where it seemed a decade needed to elapse before there could even be any hope of the sun coming up....

I jest, but from a fan standpoint that was so bad. Having to watch the games on wonky black and white TV was worse. Plus that the Esks were never in the GC and the resting on Mid 50's laurels for a longtime (ring a bell?)
FF to present and the BOG and Rhodes have a firm grasp on things. But more people probably have to do things like go to shareholders meetings, bring a disparate voice. I've linked the annual reports of this org before and people should really read this stuff. its no conjecture on what the annual reports are saying, that Rhodes and the BOG figure that these are times of successs. They actually spin doctor their management of the football org positively. Its sickening, but necessary reading.

Possibly the worst part is that if one reads the financial reports the vast majority of what would otherwise be net profit is instead taken up by The "Eskimos Empire" ad campaigns and the halftime entertainment features.

Rhodes actually writes that the Eskimos game day fan entertainment experience is immensely improved and in 2017 report wrote that attendance was significantly up. I've dispelled all these things on this board. Frankly I wish fans were more interested in challenging those aspects. Its the only way to hit back is to point out the misinformation by this org which should be outed constantly (but the media won't do it as we know)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Len Rhodes is about to find out that winning really is the big component, when he checks his receipts after next weeks game

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I might be in the minority, but I did not think that was a touchdown by Rogers. The only thing I disagreed with, was that it was a catch, but from the angle that was presented on TV, it looked clear to me that by the time he had control of the ball, he was short of the goal line, and was brought down short of it. Meaning the Bombers would still have taken over on downs, only this time, on the one yard line.
And not to forget, Winnipeg was still in the lead regardless, and would have had a better than even chance to hang on.

I believe Calgary really wanted this game badly. They need to right their ship before playoffs, and there is still a chance they lose their top seed positioning and have to play in the semi final. That would be a blow after leading the entire season.
Plus, the injuries are really piling up on them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Mike Reilly will only stay here if we keep Maas, then sorry, it’s goodbye to you Mike and good luck. Because it’s clear to me that you will never win a Grey Cup with this idiot leading the team, despite your obvious talents. Absolute proof that one man cannot win it all, if he is not surrounded by competent people. I am reluctantly willing to move on if that choice has to be made. I don’t think I can take another year or years of drama and incompetence.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I might be in the minority, but I did not think that was a touchdown by Rogers. The only thing I disagreed with, was that it was a catch, but from the angle that was presented on TV, it looked clear to me that by the time he had control of the ball, he was short of the goal line, and was brought down short of it. Meaning the Bombers would still have taken over on downs, only this time, on the one yard line.
And not to forget, Winnipeg was still in the lead regardless, and would have had a better than even chance to hang on.

I believe Calgary really wanted this game badly. They need to right their ship before playoffs, and there is still a chance they lose their top seed positioning and have to play in the semi final. That would be a blow after leading the entire season.
Plus, the injuries are really piling up on them.

I honestly don't think that we would have won at home against Winnipeg in game 18 regardless of the outcome yesterday.

Time to start thinking about 2019 and I will try to avoid discussion of those management types because it is getting old:

-Obviously try to sign Reilly but at age 34, the sky is not the limit. If he insists that the only way he returns is if Maas returns then I think it might be time to move on-- as tough as that will be. What good is it to break the bank on a QB who has 2-3 years left as a good performer if you have to bring back the same old coaching staff? Even if he does re-sign, when your #1 QB is 34 you need to develop a new starter. I don't know how you do that when you have a head coach who refuses to play the back-up no matter what the situation is. That's why I hope O'Brien will play in game 18 but don't be surprised if Reilly goes 60 minutes..

-We have to re-sign at least one of Walker/Williams. I don't know if Mitchell is a free agent at the end of this year but he would also be a priority. I don't think you invite Stafford back. Perhaps Hazelton deserves a shot at a comeback year. If all of Walker/Williams/Mitchell walk then we might have to invite Tommy Scott and Brian Kelly back.

-We need to draft at least 2 offensive linemen in the Canadian draft. Last year we took a DB who does not look like he is anywhere near being a starter. When 3 of 5 starters on the O-line are American you know you haven't done a good job developing Canadians in those positions.

-Resigning Boateng and Ceresna will also be priority. They are 2 of the best young D-linemen in the league and Canadians as good as Boateng are almost impossible to find.

-Linebacker and DB positions are obviously huge holes. In the D-backfield I would only invite Grymes and Thompson back. Every other starter is not good enough or is chronically injured. We have 6 or 7 guys back there who are on the active roster/injury list and just can't cut it.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yep. But to me something died in my being a fan last year in playoffs. It was bad enough with losing the Western Final and decision debacle but having all of Maas, Reilly, and Sunderland defending the decision in whacky descriptions confirmed I was was wasting my time with this org until different direction occurs. This org has wilted for long terms before, and some of you remember the Norm Kimball decade of darkness in the 60's where it seemed a decade needed to elapse before there could even be any hope of the sun coming up....

I jest, but from a fan standpoint that was so bad. Having to watch the games on wonky black and white TV was worse. Plus that the Esks were never in the GC and the resting on Mid 50's laurels for a longtime (ring a bell?)
FF to present and the BOG and Rhodes have a firm grasp on things. But more people probably have to do things like go to shareholders meetings, bring a disparate voice. I've linked the annual reports of this org before and people should really read this stuff. its no conjecture on what the annual reports are saying, that Rhodes and the BOG figure that these are times of successs. They actually spin doctor their management of the football org positively. Its sickening, but necessary reading.

Possibly the worst part is that if one reads the financial reports the vast majority of what would otherwise be net profit is instead taken up by The "Eskimos Empire" ad campaigns and the halftime entertainment features.

Rhodes actually writes that the Eskimos game day fan entertainment experience is immensely improved and in 2017 report wrote that attendance was significantly up. I've dispelled all these things on this board. Frankly I wish fans were more interested in challenging those aspects. Its the only way to hit back is to point out the misinformation by this org which should be outed constantly (but the media won't do it as we know)

Agree with this. Unfortunately, the Rhodent will have some huge GC receipts at the end of the year to present to the BOD and there will be much backslapping and high fiving and all will be well in their world, as they plan to bring more washed up 90’s rapper acts on board for more stimulating half time extravaganzas.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Mike Reilly will only stay here if we keep Maas, then sorry, it’s goodbye to you Mike and good luck. Because it’s clear to me that you will never win a Grey Cup with this idiot leading the team, despite your obvious talents. Absolute proof that one man cannot win it all, if he is not surrounded by competent people. I am reluctantly willing to move on if that choice has to be made. I don’t think I can take another year or years of drama and incompetence.

Sad but true. A coach as bad as Maas is a non-starter. You can reluctantly live with a Tom Higgins or Richie Hall-level coach if it guarantees an elite starting QB remains. Maas level? Absolutely not.

Even ignoring everything that occurred on the field would still lead any reasonable person to conclude that Maas should be canned. 3 seasons...4th, 3rd, 5th in a 5-team division. Only Maciocia's run of 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th is comparable in terms of atrocious finishes.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Agree with this. Unfortunately, the Rhodent will have some huge GC receipts at the end of the year to present to the BOD and there will be much backslapping and high fiving and all will be well in their world, as they plan to bring more washed up 90’s rapper acts on board for more stimulating half time extravaganzas.
Not sure if this is true. I thought I heard the game wasn’t sold out. May not be as much high fiving and backslapping as there should be.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure if this is true. I thought I heard the game wasn’t sold out. May not be as much high fiving and backslapping as there should be.
This is Edmonton. As fans, we tend to make steak out of mincemeat. Always put on a good show and support it. I expect the entire week to be a smashing success.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Two things that Jamieson just mentioned that isn't exactly great.

1. Since 1958 only two teams have started 5-2 and missed playoffs. Us and WPG in 14

The other and not good, is he doesn't think anyone gets fired. Thinks the board will look at the bottom line and see grey cup money and give Rhodes a pass. Thinks Rhodes give Sunderland another shot. Only thing he thinks happens is Maas loses one of his hats.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

There were 4-5K remaining tickets unsold a week or two after they went on sale. Most of the seats went fast. But in the season since ticket sales have just been standing still. 2-3K still left. A lot of people don't like spending hundreds of bucks to be extremely wind exposed on row 8o corner second bleacher. With any wind howling that's a bad place to be, plus the view isn't so great.

The sickening thing? Out of town teams in the GC will ensure a sellout. Ironically the Esks not being in the game has led to those tickets probably being gobbled up by out of town fans.

The most sickening thing is that the Esks will be able to report this as a very successful bottomline year, despite eroding the fan base and making most of us not even care anymore.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Two things that Jamieson just mentioned that isn't exactly great.

1. Since 1958 only two teams have started 5-2 and missed playoffs. Us and WPG in 14

The other and not good, is he doesn't think anyone gets fired. Thinks the board will look at the bottom line and see grey cup money and give Rhodes a pass. Thinks Rhodes give Sunderland another shot. Only thing he thinks happens is Maas loses one of his hats.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. The BOD is content with the status quo. That's why they hired Rhodes in the first place. He's their boy but I say look out for the number of people you see in the stands next year. A lot of the faithful have had enough of this stuff and as other frequent posters here have noted (all 3 of them) people can just throw up their hands and say I'll watch from home, if I watch at all.

Public ownership has its advantages and disadvantages. You can end up with turkeys like the Feteriks, Horn Chen, the Glieberman brothers or Murray Pezim but the flip side is that with no single powerful voice change is a long time coming. And rule #1 on these public boards like the EE have is don't rock the boat. As I mentioned before, not a single ex-Eskimo to be seen in this bunch even though many ex-Esks are very successful business people who could bring a lot to the table.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This doesn't surprise me in the least. The BOD is content with the status quo. That's why they hired Rhodes in the first place. He's their boy but I say look out for the number of people you see in the stands next year. A lot of the faithful have had enough of this stuff and as other frequent posters here have noted (all 3 of them) people can just throw up their hands and say I'll watch from home, if I watch at all.

Public ownership has its advantages and disadvantages. You can end up with turkeys like the Feteriks, Horn Chen, the Glieberman brothers or Murray Pezim but the flip side is that with no single powerful voice change is a long time coming. And rule #1 on these public boards like the EE have is don't rock the boat. As I mentioned before, not a single ex-Eskimo to be seen in this bunch even though many ex-Esks are very successful business people who could bring a lot to the table.
I just don't get how stupid a board can be though. It's one thing if we make a lot of money this year and we didn't have the grey cup, but if the revenue from the grey cup is what is making us the money then someone should be smart enough to speak up.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Hue Jackson and his 3-36-1 record over the last three seasons is available after the Browns let him go. I'd consider that an upgrade at head coach! :sarcasm:

Kidding aside, I expect no changes in coaching or management, other that maybe some minor ones. And I don't think anybody should be shocked if nothing happens.

I feel next year's team will be worse unless we improve our roster in some critical areas. And of course re-signing Mike is priority. I wonder since is a very prideful man, if he's willing to resign just for redemption considering how this year went. Here's hoping...

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I just don't get how stupid a board can be though. It's one thing if we make a lot of money this year and we didn't have the grey cup, but if the revenue from the grey cup is what is making us the money then someone should be smart enough to speak up.

But speaking up might mean that you are asked to leave the board and typically people who are on one board are on many others so speak at your own peril and risk losing 10 board positions and not being invited to the bridge games anymore. It's a very elite world that most of us will never break into (not me either).

Its been my experience in the corporate world that the BOD rarely if ever disagrees with the President (because they chose him) and certainly not to disagree in public. They are usually tight, tight, tight.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
But speaking up might mean that you are asked to leave the board and typically people who are on one board are on many others so speak at your own peril and risk losing 10 board positions and not being invited to the bridge games anymore. It's a very elite world that most of us will never break into (not me either).

Its been my experience in the corporate world that the BOD rarely if ever disagrees with the President (because they chose him) and certainly not to disagree in public. They are usually tight, tight, tight.

At some point though, there must be a re-election for the president of the board, and that would be the chance any board members that are dissenting to go in a different direction, if enough are of the same thought.

These clowns need to know that any decision they make now, has the possibility to have a dramatic effect on the bottom line next year, which will not be Grey Cup protected, revenue-wise. I hear rumblings from several STHer friends about non-renewal considerations, and I'm sure where there is smoke, there will be fire. A drop of thousands of loyal fans will be sure to perk some ears up.

Not sure as to the vintage that you are, but if you've been around long enough, you would remember the so called "Nervous Nine" back in the late 60's and early 70's, referring to a group of BOD's that were every bit as incompetent as the current group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad