Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I guess Ed and Wally didn’t guarantee the Lions anything either. One of the most lopsided losses in CFL playoff history to a less than great football team.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Didn't watch the Leos game so can't comment on it. Was Lulay hurt? Not sure what happened there. CFL is a strange league. On some days one team doesn't show. I still maintain going east and having to play that game on the road despite having more pts in the standings is unfair to West clubs.

As far as the Riders a couple things.

With Bridges in there you know the riders D cannot give up 20pts and expect to win. They had to keep it lower than that.

More the concern is the Riders allowed 250 rushing yds. That can't happen in a playoff game, period.

Riders lost the line of scrimmage battle the whole game.

lol play of the game is the Bombers rushing only 3 on 5 Riders blockers and they somehow get the sack. Pretty much story of the game and one team playing harder than the other.

A lot of Riders didn't show up today. That's disappointing on that club. They ought to have worked harder for Bridges. For themselves.

Maybe with Collaros likely out for the season they didn't see the point of facing the Stamps next week.

Hats off to O shea and running a solid ship in Winnipeg, albeit I do think its a dirty D.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Didn't watch the Leos game so can't comment on it. Was Lulay hurt? Not sure what happened there. CFL is a strange league. On some days one team doesn't show. I still maintain going east and having to play that game on the road despite having more pts in the standings is unfair to West clubs.

As far as the Riders a couple things.

With Bridges in there you know the riders D cannot give up 20pts and expect to win. They had to keep it lower than that.

More the concern is the Riders allowed 250 rushing yds. That can't happen in a playoff game, period.

Riders lost the line of scrimmage battle the whole game.

lol play of the game is the Bombers rushing only 3 on 5 Riders blockers and they somehow get the sack. Pretty much story of the game and one team playing harder than the other.

A lot of Riders didn't show up today. That's disappointing on that club. They ought to have worked harder for Bridges. For themselves.

Maybe with Collaros likely out for the season they didn't see the point of facing the Stamps next week.

Hats off to O shea and running a solid ship in Winnipeg, albeit I do think its a dirty D.

Lulay wasn't hurt, just wasn't effective. I didn't find anything too strange about it, BC got their asses kicked on the road all season, this was just one of many. Agree about the bad playoff format though, Hamilton should not be hosting a playoff game at 8-10 when a 9-9 team didn't even make the playoffs.

Riders lived and died by defensive takeaways all year. Getting none against a Matt Nichols-led offense is a big letdown for them. But Winnipeg called a very good game. Just feed Harris and make sure Nichols can't f*** it up with turnovers.

I'm a bit disappointed in the result though. Nothing against Winnipeg, but they just don't match up well against Calgary. For whatever reason, Saskatchewan has Bo-Levi's number and I fully expected they would send the Stamps packing, even with Bridge at QB. We'll never know now, but hopefully Harris has another huge game in him and the Bombers are able to take care of business. Calgary winning the Grey Cup at Commonwealth is an absolutely revolting mental image.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
CFL Stats being weird. Bombers had 200yds Rushing BEFORE the Bombers pounded the ball on the last drive to get another 40yds rushing. Somehow boxscore still add up to 200 Bombers rushing yds. They had more like 240-250. Wonder if they bother to change it. Pretty clear that for some reason the final game stats didn't include last drive rushes and it wasn't updated properly. Being the CFL I doubt if they even catch the mistake.

On the Riders side Bridges scrambles for 86yds in what can only be described as a gutsy attempt but the Riders rush for a pathetic 46yds on the other 16 carries. Not even 3yds a gain. Pathetic.

Riders lost, but not for the reason people would expect, Bridges, but due to getting blownout on the the line on both sides of the ball. For that to happen to a Jones led Riders team is gutcheck time. I feed bad for Bridges actually. Other than Roosevelt nobody else showed up in the Riders offense.

On D that had to be the worst game Purifoy has ever played in his life. Riders blitzed him 10 times, I don't know he got to Nichols once. He flat out ran right by him 3 times. Riders got 3 sacks all day. Not good enough against Nichols who isn't all that mobile. The Riders brought heat, a lot, and didn't hit home at all.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Lulay wasn't hurt, just wasn't effective. I didn't find anything too strange about it, BC got their asses kicked on the road all season, this was just one of many. Agree about the bad playoff format though, Hamilton should not be hosting a playoff game at 8-10 when a 9-9 team didn't even make the playoffs.

Riders lived and died by defensive takeaways all year. Getting none against a Matt Nichols-led offense is a big letdown for them. But Winnipeg called a very good game. Just feed Harris and make sure Nichols can't **** it up with turnovers.

I'm a bit disappointed in the result though. Nothing against Winnipeg, but they just don't match up well against Calgary. For whatever reason, Saskatchewan has Bo-Levi's number and I fully expected they would send the Stamps packing, even with Bridge at QB. We'll never know now, but hopefully Harris has another huge game in him and the Bombers are able to take care of business. Calgary winning the Grey Cup at Commonwealth is an absolutely revolting mental image.

How many times in his career has Harris had two big games in a row. Just seems to me he's slowed down the game after he has a huge game. Gets banged up, bruised, and just has less jump. Seems for years there has been two versions. Normal Harris and normal gains and Pounding and fast Harris that knocks defenders down. Riders saw good Harris today for sure, but it was pathetic tackling and Riders line got blown up good. Take pictures, Riders D probably have cleat marks all over them.

Good on the Bombers though. They went into Regina and won at smashmouth football in the playoffs. That doesn't happen often. I felt sorry for Reed in the stands being a fan of the wrong club. He had to be disgusted with the Riders rushing game other than Bridges.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Esks should be embarrassed they lost to this Lions club. Hamilton exposed them today for who they are.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The Esks should be embarrassed they lost to this Lions club. Hamilton exposed them today for who they are.

Meh, I don't read a ton off of it. Playoffs are strange like that.

Esks lose 41-6 to the ALs in a Grey Cup. Also lost 50-11 in a Grey Cup, afairc around 1990. Those things happen, and particularly in football in a one game playoff format when the game gets away from you its very demoralizing and your side falls apart. Football is very much a momentum sport to begin with but when you're playing in a game like that and the scoreline is getting worse and worse you just go into a shell. It isn't reflective of team, and its happened to good teams. People should never bet on CFL playoff games. they are like random events. Anybody can lose to anybody. It doesn't mean much other than what happened on that one afternoon. That's why CFL playoffs and even Champions, is usually a crapshoot. Occasionally there is a dominating side like the 5 in a row Eskimos. But more often than not you can pick sticks to determine who wins. Spin a wheel. you never know. Realistically any of the 6 teams in the playoffs could win, albeit the Leos weren't likely to.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Meh, I don't read a ton off of it. Playoffs are strange like that.

Esks lose 41-6 to the ALs in a Grey Cup. Also lost 50-11 in a Grey Cup, afairc around 1990. Those things happen, and particularly in football in a one game playoff format when the game gets away from you its very demoralizing and your side falls apart. Football is very much a momentum sport to begin with but when you're playing in a game like that and the scoreline is getting worse and worse you just go into a shell. It isn't reflective of team, and its happened to good teams. People should never bet on CFL playoff games. they are like random events. Anybody can lose to anybody. It doesn't mean much other than what happened on that one afternoon. That's why CFL playoffs and even Champions, is usually a crapshoot. Occasionally there is a dominating side like the 5 in a row Eskimos. But more often than not you can pick sticks to determine who wins. Spin a wheel. you never know. Realistically any of the 6 teams in the playoffs could win, albeit the Leos weren't likely to.

Nah, the Lions are a mediocre team through and through. Esks just couldn't sustain their lead in their head to head vs. the Lions because of terrible special teams and an inconsistent offense + defense.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Nah, the Lions are a mediocre team through and through. Esks just couldn't sustain their lead in their head to head vs. the Lions because of terrible special teams and an inconsistent offense + defense.

The Leos were a last place club until the Eskimos claimed the spot. I mean Winnipeg thrashed us 33-3 or something like that. In a game with playoff implications. Hamilton has skunked us silly as well. Both are odd teams and up and down. They might be up at the right time but I would still say Hamilton vs Ottawa is a toss up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Leos were a last place club until the Eskimos claimed the spot. I mean Winnipeg thrashed us 33-3 or something like that. In a game with playoff implications. Hamilton has skunked us silly as well. Both are odd teams and up and down. They might be up at the right time but I would still say Hamilton vs Ottawa is a toss up.

That's why it's embarrassing that the Esks lost to the Lions. If the Lions are mediocre, it means the Esks are worse than mediocre.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
CFL Stats being weird. Bombers had 200yds Rushing BEFORE the Bombers pounded the ball on the last drive to get another 40yds rushing. Somehow boxscore still add up to 200 Bombers rushing yds. They had more like 240-250. Wonder if they bother to change it. Pretty clear that for some reason the final game stats didn't include last drive rushes and it wasn't updated properly. Being the CFL I doubt if they even catch the mistake.

On the Riders side Bridges scrambles for 86yds in what can only be described as a gutsy attempt but the Riders rush for a pathetic 46yds on the other 16 carries. Not even 3yds a gain. Pathetic.

Riders lost, but not for the reason people would expect, Bridges, but due to getting blownout on the the line on both sides of the ball. For that to happen to a Jones led Riders team is gutcheck time. I feed bad for Bridges actually. Other than Roosevelt nobody else showed up in the Riders offense.

On D that had to be the worst game Purifoy has ever played in his life. Riders blitzed him 10 times, I don't know he got to Nichols once. He flat out ran right by him 3 times. Riders got 3 sacks all day. Not good enough against Nichols who isn't all that mobile. The Riders brought heat, a lot, and didn't hit home at all.

Have to agree on Bridge. He didn't do anything to lose the game for Saskatchewan. Steve McAdoo simply remains an idiot and called a poor game. Throwing in Watford on that first down inside the 20 after Bridge led them down the field was completely stupid, as was throwing the bomb on 2nd and 3 at midfield in the 4th quarter (gee, where have we seen that?). In a game as close as this one, two dumb mistakes from the OC stand out as the difference.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
BC sucks, plain and simple. Their 9-9 record was a mirage, buoyed by several serendipitous wins at home against a bumbling Maas, the June Jones Game, and a game where Winnipeg blew a huge lead in the second half after turning it over twice at the Lions goal line. They got completely trounced in half their road games this year, and I think they finish the season with like a -80 point differential or something. Sometimes you get lucky and 6-12 caliber play results in a 9-9 record. That's what happened in Vancouver this year. No shame in it, take the breaks when you can get them.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
That's why it's embarrassing that the Esks lost to the Lions. If the Lions are mediocre, it means the Esks are worse than mediocre.

No argument from me. The Esks are an abysmal lineup. Worst D in the West by a mile, and with Walker out a completely different offense. i'm still, years later not sold on Gable and Williams. I think both are not player you win with. Frankly they seem to be more me players than team players.

Last game of the year. Gable scores a TD and he's on the bench yelling f***ing finally, finally a call goes to me. If I'm an Eskimo hearing that on the sideline I would lose it on the goof that fumbled 5 times this year and was one reason we aren't in the playoffs. Probably because I'm old fashioned but I don't really see the point in Gables celly, either, in a meaningless game. Or Williams acting like he's won a Grey Cup and taunting opponents everyttime he gets in the endzone. Who's laughing now with the Esks in last place? I just don' get taunting, but especially whey you're losing. That makes no sense to me at all. We suck but showing off anyway. We're not sure what...

Reactions: Cloned

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No argument from me. The Esks are an abysmal lineup. Worst D in the West by a mile, and with Walker out a completely different offense. i'm still, years later not sold on Gable and Williams. I think both are not player you win with. Frankly they seem to be more me players than team players.

Last game of the year. Gable scores a TD and he's on the bench yelling ****ing finally, finally a call goes to me. If I'm an Eskimo hearing that on the sideline I would lose it on the goof that fumbled 5 times this year and was one reason we aren't in the playoffs. Probably because I'm old fashioned but I don't really see the point in Gables celly, either, in a meaningless game. Or Williams acting like he's won a Grey Cup and taunting opponents everyttime he gets in the endzone. Who's laughing now with the Esks in last place? I just don' get taunting, but especially whey you're losing. That makes no sense to me at all. We suck but showing off anyway. We're not sure what...

Just another sign of a coach who either isn't concerned enough to tell them to knock that shit off, or does but the players simply have no respect for him. Two other teams of recent vintage were famous for showboating. The 90's Stampeders who frequently choked in the playoffs, and the Shivers/Barrett Roughriders, who never won a thing or even managed to finish higher than 3rd place in the division all those years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->