Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, and there aren't that many "E" nouns available, and they've already been pushing the "Empire" theme, so I would bet on Edmonton Empire if it does happen.
Doesn’t the name “Empire” suggest something far worse than Eskimo? When I think of that word I quickly think of a group of people crushing others to accumulate wealth, land or resources. I don’t think this name passes the test either.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn’t the name “Empire” suggest something far worse than Eskimo? When I think of that word I quickly think of a group of people crushing others to accumulate wealth, land or resources. I don’t think this name passes the test either.

Right on the mark. An Empire is the result of Empire building or Colonialism.
People (including Reid Wilkens of CHED) throwing around this name (just because it starts with an 'E') and they have no clue what it means. Just like they have no clue what the word Eskimo means.
But apparently no one is upset by words like Empire so its okay.

If it all wasn't so mind numbingly stupid it would be funny.

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Right on the mark. An Empire is the result of Empire building or Colonialism.
People (including Reid Wilkens of CHED) throwing around this name (just because it starts with an 'E') and they have no clue what it means. Just like they have no clue what the word Eskimo means.
But apparently no one is upset by words like Empire so its okay.

If it all wasn't so mind numbingly stupid it would be funny.
These types of names used to be chosen for sports teams because their literal meaning suggested a type of ferocity you wanted to be associated with your team. Like a form of intimidation. This of course, was back in a time when people were smart enough to separate sports from real life. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. You’re very right in suggesting there is a bigger picture to look at here. This isn’t about a small group being offended by a name. I’d support that if it was the case. It’s about sjw’s getting behind one cause before they move on to their next one. Where does it end?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
These types of names used to be chosen for sports teams because their literal meaning suggested a type of ferocity you wanted to be associated with your team. Like a form of intimidation. This of course, was back in a time when people were smart enough to separate sports from real life. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. You’re very right in suggesting there is a bigger picture to look at here. This isn’t about a small group being offended by a name. I’d support that if it was the case. It’s about sjw’s getting behind one cause before they move on to their next one. Where does it end?

It doesn't ever end, that's the answer to your question.

On a football note, it looks like the T-cats are for real.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man I tuned in for 5 minutes and watched the Eskimos take a OPI penalty in the endzone, give up the TD and fumble the ensuing kickoff in that span.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Had Ron Estay come coach us for a practice in minor football. Been a fan all my life. Used to watch Western Finals in a packed out Commonwealth.

I like to call a spade a shovel. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies.

Just seeking clarification but regardless, I won't be cheering for the Stamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad