Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
All I'm saying is that if it is offensive to a group of people, that matters.

Not a bunch of sports fans being sensitive or offended over the fact that their team may have to make a name change.

It's interesting that you accuse people of being too sensitive or offended by everything and then post stuff like this post and the one previous. I'd take a good look in a mirror when charging people with being too sensitive or offended by everything.

Being considerate is actually not a horrible thing.

On a side note if you truly want to know why it's offensive then a google search could aid you with that answer but I suspect you don't truly care to take that 5 minutes to find out.

But it isn’t that group of people who are complaining about the name. That’s the kicker. This is people wanting to be offended on behalf of others so they feel like they are somehow accomplishing something good.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The Edmonton humans.

Perfectly neutral, no one is offended and no risk of offence in the future (unless aliens take over I guess).

Still would be green and gold

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Edmonton humans.

Perfectly neutral, no one is offended and no risk of offence in the future (unless aliens take over I guess).

Good point but even then there are people who see the human species as evil and destructive and would prefer it if the dominant species on earth were dolphins and elephants (I like elephants better than dolphins but that's a personal bias).

So someone will object to your sugestion as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Edmonton humans.

Edmonton Hupeoples

Or

Edmonton North American Football Club

They would have to wear rainbow colored jerseys so that no color feels left out.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Edmonton Hupeoples

Or

Edmonton North American Football Club

They would have to wear rainbow colored jerseys so that no color feels left out.
I think we’ve got the winning name here. Not offensive to anyone. Kind of reminds me of the Baltimore CFLers. I wonder if Baltimore still holds the rights to that name just in case.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
All I'm saying is that if it is offensive to a group of people, that matters.

Not a bunch of sports fans being sensitive or offended over the fact that their team may have to make a name change.

It's interesting that you accuse people of being too sensitive or offended by everything and then post stuff like this post and the one previous. I'd take a good look in a mirror when charging people with being too sensitive or offended by everything.

Being considerate is actually not a horrible thing.

On a side note if you truly want to know why it's offensive then a google search could aid you with that answer but I suspect you don't truly care to take that 5 minutes to find out.

Based on this post and what you are suggesting I believe that you missed my point. As a matter of fact I dont think you could have missed the mark any more than you have here.

The fact that you are so off base here suggests that you really didnt read my posts in this thread.

Can I suggest that you re-read my previous posts on this because I believe I have already covered most if not all of what you have posted here.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I totally hear you.
I mentioned that I didnt understand why Reilly was still in the game with 2 minutes left. It was rant worthy but I figured that I already had my fair share of rants today. :D

The Esks did their best to give that game away for the first 20 minutes or so and as you mentioned they were very lucky it was BC or the team would be winless at home so far.

That said it was really nice to see the team generate some offensive momentum and then see the defence follow suit. They have a solid weapon in Gable and it opens so much other offensive opportunity. I enjoyed watching that unfold.
All in all though this looks like a .500 team to me so far.

This offense seems so momentum-based. Once we hit 17 points I knew we would not look back and probably score 40. But in the first quarter it looked like we may not score 40 more points the entire season. Once again this comes back to Maas's reluctance to establish the run, and instead trying for home-run passes in the early going. The worst possible way to build offensive rhythm.

Standings-wise, the first three weeks of the season have broke well for us. Managing to sneak out of Winnipeg with the win there was huge. Despite the Bombers arguably looking stronger than us on the whole through three games, we actually have a 1.5 game lead on them. Calgary being 3-0 is unfortunate; in typical fashion they reap the benefit of Hamilton and Ottawa both shooting themselves in the foot in the 4th quarter at McMahon. Sask will be 2-1 and tied with us, but a win over Montreal basically doesn't count.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This offense seems so momentum-based. Once we hit 17 points I knew we would not look back and probably score 40. But in the first quarter it looked like we may not score 40 more points the entire season. Once again this comes back to Maas's reluctance to establish the run, and instead trying for home-run passes in the early going. The worst possible way to build offensive rhythm.

Standings-wise, the first three weeks of the season have broke well for us. Managing to sneak out of Winnipeg with the win there was huge. Despite the Bombers arguably looking stronger than us on the whole through three games, we actually have a 1.5 game lead on them. Calgary being 3-0 is unfortunate; in typical fashion they reap the benefit of Hamilton and Ottawa both shooting themselves in the foot in the 4th quarter at McMahon. Sask will be 2-1 and tied with us, but a win over Montreal basically doesn't count.

We have to beat out 3 clubs to get into the playoffs and the most likely candidates are Montreal, Toronto and B.C. so its best to win against those 3 teams and let the rest of the league do their share as well. If we beat Toronto this weekend then we should be well on our way to the cross-over spot.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Based on this post and what you are suggesting I believe that you missed my point. As a matter of fact I dont think you could have missed the mark any more than you have here.

The fact that you are so off base here suggests that you really didnt read my posts in this thread.

Can I suggest that you re-read my previous posts on this because I believe I have already covered most if not all of what you have posted here.

Not really interested in continuing the conversation. I read the posts and understood them perfectly.

Ultimately this thread should be about how the team plays on the field so I'll exit any further discussion about a potential name change.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think we’ve got the winning name here. Not offensive to anyone. Kind of reminds me of the Baltimore CFLers. I wonder if Baltimore still holds the rights to that name just in case.
Edmonton North American Football Club offends me. We're Canadian, damn it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
We have to beat out 3 clubs to get into the playoffs and the most likely candidates are Montreal, Toronto and B.C. so its best to win against those 3 teams and let the rest of the league do their share as well. If we beat Toronto this weekend then we should be well on our way to the cross-over spot.

At least there's some early evidence to suggest that finishing 4th in the West isn't better than 2nd or 3rd, like previous seasons. Hamilton and Ottawa look to be on par with the Western teams so far. Montreal is a write-off, and BC's offense looks putrid. I won't bury Toronto yet...but there's clearly 6 teams with a leg up on the 6 playoff spots already.

Now watch Sask somehow lose at home to the Als tonight and throw all this speculation right in the trash, haha.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At least there's some early evidence to suggest that finishing 4th in the West isn't better than 2nd or 3rd, like previous seasons. Hamilton and Ottawa look to be on par with the Western teams so far. Montreal is a write-off, and BC's offense looks putrid. I won't bury Toronto yet...but there's clearly 6 teams with a leg up on the 6 playoff spots already.

Now watch Sask somehow lose at home to the Als tonight and throw all this speculation right in the trash, haha.

Yeah, I can't see us being more than the x-over team right now but maybe the D tightens up and we challenge the Stamps for first. That would be nice but if we had played the horse-men last night we would have been in a huge hole come 2nd quarter.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Shouldn't be aspiring for a cross-over position. If we beat Toronto Saturday we're on our way to the cross-over? We'd be 3-1.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should aspire to the x-over spot but if I was a Las Vegas odds-maker then that's where I would put us come November--based on what I am seeing right now.

The 2nd half performance last night was admirable but if we hadn't been playing a very mediocre team plus Mr. Young at corner then I don't think we would have won the game. We were also very fortunate to have won in Winnipeg.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah, I can't see us being more than the x-over team right now but maybe the D tightens up and we challenge the Stamps for first. That would be nice but if we had played the horse-men last night we would have been in a huge hole come 2nd quarter.

I was going to agree that we look crossover quality right now...until Sask lost AT HOME to Montreal. Haha! All of a sudden BC is looking better than the hapless Riders.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was going to agree that we look crossover quality right now...until Sask lost AT HOME to Montreal. Haha! All of a sudden BC is looking better than the hapless Riders.

Yes, the quality of football right now is pretty low. The Calgary-Ottawa game wasn't much better. I watched it at a party and even all my die-hard Stamp friends said the club looked awful. Ottawa was even worse.

It really looks like exhibition football for the first month which is another reason why I far preferred the old 4 game exhibition and 16 game regular season. You can call it regular season if you want but it sure doesn't look that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca