Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Maas shouldn't be running the offence. He has his hands full being head coach. Our offence would be more productive with a dedicated coordinator.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder what kind of a s*** show Maas and company will serve up on Friday?

Should be interesting.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
depth chart will be out today for the game. if Hunter is still on it, you know that the esks will give up at least 30+ points.

I'm setting at 10 the over/under for Gable getting touches for the running game. no faith in Maas to use his players properly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We'll need Mike Reilly to be at his superman best. I fully expect him to be running for his life most of the game, and still making some incredible plays with his feet and arm. And the receivers will continue to make great plays. And Whyte will pound it through when called upon. And Sherritt will play fast and solid. But that's all I've got.

39-32 for the Esks in a shootout.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We knew this venture was coming months ago.

CFL Eskimos brass on northern visits to talk about name, ‘where we fit in’

This is a great move. I think the reaction will be positive for keeping the team name, which should lay put controversy to bed. If the team officials determine otherwise then I'm ok with a name change, but I think the majority see the name as an honour.

It could backfire. If it was anybody else other than Rhodes I would be more comfortable with it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It could backfire. If it was anybody else other than Rhodes I would be more comfortable with it.
Backfire how?

We may not like his football smarts but this is what Rhodes is good at; don't laugh. Plus Alan Watts will be with him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Backfire how?

We may not like his football smarts but this is what Rhodes is good at; don't laugh. Plus Alan Watts will be with him.

I would prefer someone with more backbone than Rhodes. Glad that Watts is with him.

I was listening to Wilkens show on CHED the other night and his argument was very weak but it found a lot of supporters. He stated that it (the name change) was going to happen eventually anyway (because some people dont like it) so why not just get it done. Multiple people phoned in and suggested that if even 1 person was offended then the team should change the name.
It was cringe worthy IMO.
No one seemed to care if being offended was a justifiable reaction and if a name change was a proportional solution.
It was almost as if these days you just have to speak out loud that you are offended and everybody jumps and bends over backwards to try and make you feel better.
Maybe being offended has more to do with the individual and their hyper sensitive sensibilities and nothing to do with words being used.
This SJW nonsense has to stop. and it wont stop if people dont start standing up to it.
I dont think that Len Rhodes has the backbone to do that.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Watch for CBC and its new President to be all over this within a week. They are absolutely possessed with political correctness.

I agree that sending Fred Flinstone to represent the EE on this is a bad idea.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Backfire how?

It will backfire because sadly we live in a society where if one single person is offended by something, the media will focus on them and make it an issue. Unless there is literally 100% support of keeping the name, CBC and the eastern media will create a "change the name" firestorm.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
not happy with the roster going into the game.
think this game might need a couple of beers.

I figure the D will be a trainwreck, so the game will rely on Maas having a way better offensive game plan than last week.

the offensive play calls were pathetic last week.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I would prefer someone with more backbone than Rhodes. Glad that Watts is with him.

I was listening to Wilkens show on CHED the other night and his argument was very weak but it found a lot of supporters. He stated that it (the name change) was going to happen eventually anyway (because some people dont like it) so why not just get it done. Multiple people phoned in and suggested that if even 1 person was offended then the team should change the name.
It was cringe worthy IMO.
No one seemed to care if being offended was a justifiable reaction and if a name change was a proportional solution.
It was almost as if these days you just have to speak out loud that you are offended and everybody jumps and bends over backwards to try and make you feel better.
Maybe being offended has more to do with the individual and their hyper sensitive sensibilities and nothing to do with words being used.
This SJW nonsense has to stop. and it wont stop if people dont start standing up to it.
I dont think that Len Rhodes has the backbone to do that.

This is spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea what that word means to the affected group.

If they find it offensive is it really the end of the world if a football team has to change their name?

I don't understand why it's so awful to actually want to be considerate of how people feel about something.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
This is spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea what that word means to the affected group.

If they find it offensive is it really the end of the world if a football team has to change their name?

I don't understand why it's so awful to actually want to be considerate of how people feel about something.

We live in a world where so many people get Offended® at the slightest thing that the natural reaction is to be skeptical of it. Sadly this means legitimate concerns may be dismissed off hand.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
not happy with the roster going into the game.
think this game might need a couple of beers.

I figure the D will be a trainwreck, so the game will rely on Maas having a way better offensive game plan than last week.

the offensive play calls were pathetic last week.

If I'm BC, I just throw at Hunter and Edwards all day long. The odd time a stop is made, an objectionable conduct penalty will keep the offense on the field.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
If I'm BC, I just throw at Hunter and Edwards all day long. The odd time a stop is made, an objectionable conduct penalty will keep the offense on the field.

and I bet they do a way better job using the run and spreading the defense, to set up the long ball.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

And yours sounds like it was written by someone who would jump if anyone says they are offended by anything. If the majority rules that the name stays, then that's the way it should be. Someone is always going to be offended by something, no matter what.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Are you representative of 'their group'? Apparently you are. Please do enlighten me on what makes Eskimo such an offensive term that its use should be banned.

Or maybe you are just doing the 'in thing' now a days...virtue signalling.

I posted my opinions on this in detail but the post was removed. I suspect because it was too political. Its hard to dance the line between discussing a word and venturing into politics because politics is the reason why this is an issue. This has nothing to do with 'feelings' and 'doing the right thing'.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad