GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd imagine she is decently well connected - she has worked for nhl front office before even if she's had messy breakups with them.

None of those names I'm clamouring for as a centerpiece but could be interested in if the leafs are getting other high potential futures based pieces that could either develop or be flipped.

For me, Jones has the potential to be an absolute grand slam or a move that craters the Matthews Era as we know it with almost no inbetween.

For me, I look at the raw skills of a Seth Jones, wingspan, skating, puckhandling, workhorse minutes vs the analytics player cards and I think, well, these numbers rarely tell the story. Schenn, Edmundson, Benoit all came in with terrible metrics and in the right role and doses on a good team, they were good in their own way and we appreciate them all... and apply that same logic to a RHD high pedigree player like Jones, the rewards are great.

However, if Jones goes the way of a broken down Klingberg, that's it for the era and we are not coming back from this till 2030. We would not recover from that kind of move...

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind looking at Zach Werenski out of CBJ in a similar swap. He and Jones made a good pairing on the Blue Jackets years ago and Werenski was always the more dynamic one.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
- Re-sign Maxi Domi - This should be easy since he wants to be back.
- Sign Chandler Stephenson. This would be the perfect playmaking C the leafs need on a team that has a lot of shoot first players.
- Sign Pesce to play with Rielly.
- Bring back Joel Edmundson
- Get a goalie to tandem with Woll.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kampf-Reaves
-
Rielly-Pesce
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Woll
Goalie

I was thinking about a fast 2nd line C for us while watching the Knights and Canes games.
Necas got me thinking about how awesome it would be to pair a explosive skating C with Nylander and watching Cowan after, I could see Cowan/Nylander making up two thirds of a excellent 2nd line at some point especially if you can find someone that can easily keep up with the pace.

Regardless, 2nd line C is a big need for us moving forward.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
For me, I look at the raw skills of a Seth Jones, wingspan, skating, puckhandling, workhorse minutes vs the analytics player cards and I think, well, these numbers rarely tell the story. Schenn, Edmundson, Benoit all came in with terrible metrics and in the right role and doses on a good team, they were good in their own way and we appreciate them all... and apply that same logic to a RHD high pedigree player like Jones, the rewards are great.

However, if Jones goes the way of a broken down Klingberg, that's it for the era and we are not coming back from this till 2030. We would not recover from that kind of move...

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind looking at Zach Werenski out of CBJ in a similar swap. He and Jones made a good pairing on the Blue Jackets years ago and Werenski was always the more dynamic one.

Defensive metrics need alot of context.
You have some defencemen that are being deployed alot differently then others on the same team.
It would be like comparing Timmins usage vs Brodies. These two players aren't being put in anywhere near the same conditions.
One guy is basically being sheltered while the other is consistently facing the toughest opposition and with unfavorable zone starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaric1862

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Top 10 protected right?
The Leaf pick to CHI is. What I’m not clear on is what happens if the Leafs somehow fall back and keep it. I’m not sure if it slides to another year, another pick, or washes away?
Moot point, Leaf’s aren’t a bottom 10 team next year, barring some kinda disaster.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’ve mentioned Detroit as my dark horse team when it comes to acquiring Marner.

Not a far drive from Toronto. Played in London so I’m sure he’s made a few trips to Detroit back in the day. Original 6 team. Larkin - Marner chemistry from the All-Star game, etc. Team is on the rise and ran by Steve Y.

To Toronto: Nate Danielson + Simon Edvinsson + DET 2nd Rounder
To Detroit: Mitch Marner

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah if we're taking Jones we're accepting considerable risk for no reason. It needs to be accompanied by something very tantalizing. Even retained it's a nightmare incarnate contract
I mean, the thought of him returning to peak form is tantalizing but that period has been the minority of his whole body of work. Potential home run or potential Inning ending double play…or something.
Say he’s retained down to Mo money or less….what could a deal look like?

Reactions: Gallagbi

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I mean, the thought of him returning to peak form is tantalizing but that period has been the minority of his whole body of work. Potential home run or potential Inning ending double play…or something.
Say he’s retained down to Mo money or less….what could a deal look like?
I haven't been following Jones closely. My first question is have we seen the version of Nashville Jones on Chicago at all?

Taking on Jones is a favor to Chicago and should be treated as such.

Isn't Chicago picking 2nd overall this year? I'd take Jones plus that pick for Mitch lol.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don’t think Lilly and Robertson make it to opening night
Both will be traded
I’ll say it every time…while you may right that it could go that way…. it’s a bad time to move both. And a mistake.
NickRob is about to break out to what he’s going to be. His production is right there, he’s more durable and body matured. He starting to feel able to play his greasier game.
Lili up and down this year due to injury, but is still a viable top 4 guy.
In both cases, I think you’re selling low.
Id much rather see a coach in who will foster development, so that guys get closer to their ceilings.
Neither has a ton of bargaining leverage, meaning they both have a chance to bring lots of surplus value to the team next year.
Build em up, then sell if you gotta. Like Chicago did.

Reactions: kb and LeafSteel

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Washington fans seem interested and it makes sense as a destination. They can either rent him to get Ovi to the record and then flip him at 50% or keep him as the face of their next wave for life after Ovi.

Marner for Wilson, Protas, Jensen as a base would be unsexy but interesting.

Wilson-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Protas-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Robertson

Rielly-Jensen
Zadorov-McCabe
Benoit-XXX

Wilson and Protas are signed longterm and instantly change our look to make us massive up front. Top two lines can mix and match on the fly and give us options for both special teams, 3rd line has an identity as a sheltered scoring line. Build the fourth line out to fill in whatever gaps are left at the end of the day.

Defense stays big but can actually move the puck on every pairing and has Zadorov as the point man on the PP.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Washington fans seem interested and it makes sense as a destination. They can either rent him to get Ovi to the record and then flip him at 50% or keep him as the face of their next wave for life after Ovi.

Marner for Wilson, Protas, Jensen as a base would be unsexy but interesting.

Wilson-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Protas-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Robertson

Rielly-Jensen
Zadorov-McCabe
Benoit-XXX

Wilson and Protas are signed longterm and instantly change our look to make us massive up front. Top two lines can mix and match on the fly and give us options for both special teams, 3rd line has an identity as a sheltered scoring line. Build the fourth line out to fill in whatever gaps are left at the end of the day.

Defense stays big but can actually move the puck on every pairing and has Zadorov as the point man on the PP.

How good is Protas supposed to be and is he going to be a top 6 center on a legit contender?

He's 40% in the faceoff dot thru 170 games played which is very concerning.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
How good is Protas supposed to be and is he going to be a top 6 center on a legit contender?

He's 40% in the faceoff dot thru 170 games played which is very concerning.

You wouldn’t get a legit top-6 6’6 center signed this cheap as a secondary piece in a Marner trade but Protas is a good gamble at 23. If it clicks you have a monster C signed at 3.4 mil for the next 5 years, if it doesn’t click you got a winger on a Nichushkin trajectory. I’d rather someone like Protas over a mid-late 1st anyway, he’s the kind of low-risk high-upside other contenders take constantly.

Wilson-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Protas

Or revisit Nylander at C with two giant wings.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Overall, on the Marner front, I’d love to get one pick that gets one of the premium defencemen this draft.
I’d retain afew mil to get some other picks…2nds to 4ths for the 25 draft.
Then use the cap space to sign Brady Skjei.
Reshape the D now and for the future in one move.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Is this David Pagnotta guy credible?

-Speculates a Marner for Saros basis
-Says that Berube is the favorite and if he wants the job he will get it
-Says Tre wants to bring back both Domi and Bert but likely only one
-Throws out these names as potential additions...Laughton, Jenner, Ferraro, Arvidsson, Joshua, Zadorov

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

-Throws out these names as potential additions...Laughton, Jenner, Ferraro, Arvidsson, Joshua, Zadorov

Around the timeline of the JT signing, he was breaking quite a bit.

Since then? Pretty poor source.

Marner for Saros is a terrible basis for a trade.

Berube probably is the favourite.

I suspect Domi comes back, Bertuzzi walks

The rest just seems like throwing shit at the wall.

Reactions: horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He's more right than wrong for the most part. But he tends to throw a lot of crap at the wall, especially when he starts speculating about trades and stuff. Like the Berube smoke has been said by pretty much anyone.

Saros for Marner as a basis is common sense and kinda makes sense. It would definitely be the big change people want and add a top notch goaltender. He's been one of the better goaltenders over the last 3 years, he's played a lot of games as well.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's more right than wrong for the most part. But he tends to throw a lot of crap at the wall, especially when he starts speculating about trades and stuff. Like the Berube smoke has been said by pretty much anyone.

Saros for Marner as a basis is common sense and kinda makes sense. It would definitely be the big change people want and add a top notch goaltender. He's been one of the better goaltenders over the last 3 years, he's played a lot of games as well.
Hopefully get either tomasino or evangelista (prob butchered his name) as well

Marner for Saros 1 for 1 is meh imo. If we add a young top 9 winger than I am happy

Extend Saros 8 years 8M

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Any Saros deal, I can see Tre wanting Lauzon involved as well. Would help make Liljegren expendable as he can play either side. A third pair of Benoit - Lauzon would be fun to watch.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marner trade options I see :

Chabot, Theodore, Power, Clarke, Nemec.

These are the only D in the league Id consider moving him for that could potentially be possible. Each deal has different parameters and additions obviously.

Reactions: Avilaj07

horner

May 22, 2007

Do you really think Marner will sign in Nashville better yet waive his NMC to help us get Saros.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't recall a goalie pulling a player of Marner's caliber.

The additions they could realistically make to Saros wouldn't be enough to convince me that it's a good trade.

Other teams could offer more.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner trade options I see :

Chabot, Theodore, Power, Clarke, Nemec.

These are the only D in the league Id consider moving him for that could potentially be possible. Each deal has different parameters and additions obviously.

I think we try to get a 2 c prospect. (Wright/mctavish)

Owen power for extended Marner maybe? I don’t see them doing it though.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad