Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was the other way around. Maas took over for Ray because Ray really struggled in some playoff games. Maas doesn't think sometimes, he just goes out and acts. Which is why he was so good in that role. He didn't overthink it. Ray tended to overthink things sometimes.

Well Maas was the older more experienced QB so that makes some sense that the younger QB (Ray) would struggle from time to time. I just remember at least a few times when Ray came in for Maas and won the game.

I am not sure how you can attribute that to overthinking on Rays part....most likely it was just inexperience.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well Maas was the older more experienced QB so that makes some sense that the younger QB (Ray) would struggle from time to time. I just remember at least a few times when Ray came in for Maas and won the game.

I am not sure how you can attribute that to overthinking on Rays part....most likely it was just inexperience.

Well this was well into Ray's CFL career, so I don't think it was inexperience. Just that he got cold at the wrong time. He did recover in time for the GC final though, and played very well there. If we didn't have Maas we never make it into the GC that one year though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well this was well into Ray's CFL career, so I don't think it was inexperience. Just that he got cold at the wrong time. He did recover in time for the GC final though, and played very well there. If we didn't have Maas we never make it into the GC that one year though.

Yeah...I have to say that I am questioning your recollection although its probably better than mine. :D

No matter though...its largely irrelevant and takes away form the real issue here which is Jason Maas as a qualified Head coach.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah...I have to say that I am questioning your recollection although its probably better than mine. :D

No matter though...its largely irrelevant and takes away form the real issue here which is Jason Maas as a qualified Head coach.

From Maas' wikipedia page:

Unfortunately for Maas's individual numbers, Ray struggled south of the border. He never threw a regular-season pass with the Jets, and after being released tried in vain to catch on with another NFL team in time for the 2005 NFL season. Conjecture immediately ran high that Ray would be lured back to the Eskimos with a relative big-money deal, which soon followed. In addition, Maas faced additional competition from recently signed former Most Outstanding Player Khari Jones.
Former offensive co-ordinator and new head coach Danny Maciocia had led Maas's offense during his 2004 season, but he also knew that the starting quarterback had to be decisively selected and stuck to. After preseason, Maciocia chose and stuck to Ray, returning Maas to the bench for the 2005 CFL season. Maas saw little game action in the regular season, appearing only in relief for the final game, a blowout loss to the Calgary Stampeders.
However, entering into the next week's Western Semi-final game against the Stampeders, Ricky Ray was being criticized for his recent play, and after a relatively poor first half, Maciocia put Maas in for Ray for the second half. Maas re-ignited the dormant Eskimos offense and led them to a comeback victory, resurrecting the old quarterback controversy that had plagued the Eskimos for years. Maas followed this up by again appearing in relief during the fourth quarter over Ray in the West Division final against the Lions, scoring the winning touchdown and leading the Eskimos to another victory. Once again, perhaps because of rumours Maas had already been traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for veteran quarterback Danny McManus and lineman Tim Bakker, Maciocia opted to start Ray in the 93rd Grey Cup. Ray played the whole game and won it, being named MVP in the process. After the game, confirming what TSN called "the CFL's worst-kept secret", Maas was traded to the Tiger-Cats.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I feel like that it was such a moronic move by Maas that Stamps fans must have felt they were missing something. I know I would be if I was an opposing fan to a move like that, just mind boggling.

I would at least do a slow sarcastic clap or something.

Man, overall the Stamps showed great restraint and some class as over all you'd think they'd be over their laughing on their sidelines. It was that bad of a call. Other calls like O Shea made or Dickenson made in the Grey Cup are at least plausible calls that didn't go right. That happens. What Jason Mass did had no merit. There was no basis in which the call made any sense. No scenario in which it was the better, or logical call. It was just idiotic. Which Maas is confirming ever since. The guy has just outed himself as a grade A moron. Everytime he defends his decision it just looks worse.

Now the thing I really don't get is if Maas wanted to try for the win in regulation then scoring the TD and then just going for the 2 pointer is a much more plausible scenario that only requires 3 things to go right rather than 6. We get the first down, score a TD, then an optional two pointer (I wouldn't do it, I would settle for the tie on the convert)

Instead he goes with faith of a lot more things having to go right. That the FG is even successful at all. That the kickoff is decent or that it isn't even blocked as Stamps were getting pressure a lot. Then we need good coverage on the kickoff return. Then we need to stop the stamps, Then we need time to be left on the clock. Then we need to march the ball all the way down the field instead of just 13 yds to get the TD. That's 6 variables that can f*** up instead of 2-3.

Not even mentioning that it is asinine to put faith in the special teams and Defense over the faith in the offense which has led this team, and been its strongest suit all season. Maas relied on the two poorest sides of our game getting it done instead of just leaving our Offense, our strength, on the field.

The stupidity on display is just amazing. How do idiots like Maas obtain positions of importance. Or Rhodes obviously. It takes one idiot to like another.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll give Mike O'Shea some credit for manning up on his gaffe that contributed to the Bomber loss the week before. The Mass explanation just gives the feeling of stupidity, arrogance, or both. And if he goes forward thinking he made the correct move and has not learned a thing from it, it is not unreasonable to think he will make similar stupid moves in the future. He needs to be fired before he gets that chance.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Just wanted to comment, that in regards to the opinion Maas' decision during the game, I don't believe I have ever witnessed this board being 100 % in agreement on anything. Until now. That's how obviously bad it was.
I've changed my mind. I liked the call.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Was there ever a time when Maas (the QB) was able to overcome the big moments in playoff games? I can recall a couple of times when Ricky Ray had to take over because Maas was so ineffective.

Perhaps he just doesnt process the big game moments effectively.
When you're a player, you're usually just concerned about your own job and no one else's. Huge difference from running an entire team and making decisions on behalf of all facets, and on the fly to boot. Just because a guy was a good thinker during his playing days does not necessarily bode well for him being a good coach. Otherwise, Wayne Gretzky would be inducted into the HOF as a coach as well by now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When you're a player, you're usually just concerned about your own job and no one else's. Huge difference from running an entire team and making decisions on behalf of all facets, and on the fly to boot. Just because a guy was a good thinker during his playing days does not necessarily bode well for him being a good coach. Otherwise, Wayne Gretzky would be inducted into the HOF as a coach as well by now.

Fair point.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's a shame that this bonehead call has overshadowed everything else that happened in the game.

-I thought Smith might be the real deal as a returner but yikes what a scary game.
-The Calgary D's coverage on Zylstra was exceptional
-The Stamps used the screen play very effectively all year but it seemed like our D was not prepared for this
-Stamp receivers are no threat to tear up the NFL, they looked pretty average
-Our run stop game is still shaky
-Konar and Jones were very solid at LB. Look forward to them being back next season.
-The Stamps will have their hands full with the Argos on Sunday. A rejuvenated Lemon leads a Toronto D that is very solid right now, they did a great job on a Sask offence that has some very talented receivers. Calgary won't be big favorites like they were in last year's Grey Cup.
-On another note, Riders look a lot like the 2015 Esks- D is very physical and creates turnovers-Offense seems to be limited in terms of scope and designed to be "adequate." Clearly the team's head coach was once a defensive coordinator

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll give Mike O'Shea some credit for manning up on his gaffe that contributed to the Bomber loss the week before. The Mass explanation just gives the feeling of stupidity, arrogance, or both. And if he goes forward thinking he made the correct move and has not learned a thing from it, it is not unreasonable to think he will make similar stupid moves in the future. He needs to be fired before he gets that chance.

Thats really the crux of this issue at this point...if the fans and perhaps the media (and maybe even the players) are able to move on.
I am not sure that happens if the optics around this are such that Maas clearly hasnt learned a thing and refuses to hold himself accountable.

I heard Gregor today comparing this Maas gaffe to a standard bad call (ie Pete Carroll) on a gamble that doesnt work.
Its not the same thing...this is distinctly different.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thats really the crux of this issue at this point...if the fans and perhaps the media (and maybe even the players) are able to move on.
I am not sure that happens if the optics around this are such that Maas clearly hasnt learned a thing and refuses to hold himself accountable.

I heard Gregor today comparing this Maas gaffe to a standard bad call (ie Pete Carroll) on a gamble that doesnt work.
Carroll’s play call was, imo, a bad one but at least he was still trying to win with it. It can still reasonably be debated whether or not a passing play that worked for a touchdown earlier in the game was a better option than handing the ball to the leagues best running back at the one yard line.

There is no debating Maas’ decision, that’s how bad it was. It had no strategic merit. I have yet to see anybody not affiliated with the Eskimos even try to. The best anybody has come up with was that maybe he didn’t know what the correct score was. That’s even worse. In any event, there is no comparison to the Carroll event and this one.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Carroll’s play call was, imo, a bad one but at least he was still trying to win with it. It can still reasonably be debated whether or not a passing play that worked for a touchdown earlier in the game was a better option than handing the ball to the leagues best running back at the one yard line.

There is no debating Maas’ decision, that’s how bad it was. It had no strategic merit. I have yet to see anybody not affiliated with the Eskimos even try to. The best anybody has come up with was that maybe he didn’t know what the correct score was. That’s even worse. In any event, there is no comparison to the Carroll event and this one.

I agree.
At least with the Carroll examples he used one of many options to win. Not the best option but it was still an option non the less.

Thats what makes the Maas decision so different. His decision wasn't an option at all. It was a non option.
It was a play that shouldn't have even been on the radar because (its success) was worse than meaningless.
Instead of giving his team a chance to win it severely impaired his teams ability to win. It took the ball out the best player in the CFL's hands (his player) and gave it back to the opposition with nothing gained at all.

Thats what makes this so hard to accept. It had no meaning or relevance what so ever in terms of what was actually going on and the teams objective....which was to win.
It was a non sequitur.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Yeah but Strudwick corrected Gregor on that

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah but Strudwick corrected Gregor on that

I missed that.
I turned it off after I heard his poorly argued rant. I find it intolerable when Gregor goes on a rant even though he is clearly missing the point. That wasnt the first time he has done that.

Anyway...thanks for letting me know because now I may just listen to the podcast to hear Strudwicks response.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It's a shame that this bonehead call has overshadowed everything else that happened in the game.

-I thought Smith might be the real deal as a returner but yikes what a scary game.
-The Stamps used the screen play very effectively all year but it seemed like our D was not prepared for this
-Konar and Jones were very solid at LB. Look forward to them being back next season.
-The Stamps will have their hands full with the Argos on Sunday. A rejuvenated Lemon leads a Toronto D that is very solid right now, they did a great job on a Sask offence that has some very talented receivers. Calgary won't be big favorites like they were in last year's Grey Cup.
-On another note, Riders look a lot like the 2015 Esks- D is very physical and creates turnovers-Offense seems to be limited in terms of scope and designed to be "adequate." Clearly the team's head coach was once a defensive coordinator

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008

I Disagree with Jones (#45)...........he is a big guy but is not fast or smart enough to make the stops that he has to make as middle linebacker..........good thing that JC Sheritt will be back next year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I Disagree with Jones (#45)...........he is a big guy but is not fast or smart enough to make the stops that he has to make as middle linebacker..........good thing that JC Sheritt will be back next year.

He's versatile though and he can play middle or outside linebacker. That comes in handy when you inevitably have injuries. As for JC, big heart but coming off those Achilles injuries is tough. For some guys its the end of the road.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its official....Jason Maas is clueless....

Jason Maas said:
“I’ve gone over the scenario multiple times since the game ended and I still believe very strongly that’s the way I would go again.”

He talks about going for a 2 for 1. He only needed 1 possession and he decides to go for 2 possessions.
I am speechless. I cant even listen to him anymore but for those that can here is the audio. Its just more stupid repeating itself over and over again. I dont often call someone an idiot but there is no other way to describe this...its all kinds of stupid. This is low IQ stuff folks.
Unbelievable. :shakehead
You can listen to Jason Maas and his pretzel logic and also listen to Morley Scott kissing his ass....

Head coach has no regrets after Edmonton Eskimos’ West Final loss

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Its official....Jason Maas is clueless....

He talks about going for a 2 for 1. He only needed 1 possession and he decides to go for 2 possessions.
I am speechless. I cant even listen to him anymore but for those that can here is the audio. Its just more stupid repeating itself over and over again. I dont often call someone an idiot but there is no other way to describe this...its all kinds of stupid. This is low IQ stuff folks.
Unbelievable. :shakehead
You can listen to Jason Maas and his pretzel logic and also listen to Morley Scott kissing his ass....

Head coach has no regrets after Edmonton Eskimos’ West Final loss
Idiocy and prideful arrogance! The fact that he says he'd do it again is terrifying.

I'd really like to know if there's anyone else involved in football that thinks that Jason Maas is in the right and the call made logical sense. I dunno maybe we're the dumb ones that can't see the brilliancy in what he was trying to execute...

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Idiocy and prideful arrogance! The fact that he says he'd do it again is terrifying.

I'd really like to know if there's anyone else involved in football that thinks that Jason Maas is in the right and the call made logical sense. I dunno maybe we're the dumb ones that can't see the brilliancy in what he was trying to execute...

Lol...yeah...maybe that's it.
Its just so freaking brilliant that we just cant wrap our brains around it. :help:

Appreciate the humor....good call. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->