Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Marino would be the Oilers 2nd best Dman by a mile.

****ed up badly by not finding a way to sign him.
He wouldn't have had the same opportunity in training camp. There's a good chance he may not have even made the opening roster in Edmonton. Not a whole lot of people disappointed at losing the player. Our depth on defense is very deep moving forward.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
"By a mile"

Over Nurse or Klefbom?

Wondering which one Marino is "miles" better than.
He has been better than both so far this season.
You guys are underestimating how good he's been. He has the best defensive numbers of any dman in the league. We couldn't have imagined he'd be this good.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
You guys are underestimating how good he's been. He has the best defensive numbers of any dman in the league. We couldn't have imagined he'd be this good.

Which defensive numbers? (Just curious)

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Which defensive numbers? (Just curious)
Marino is on-ice for only 1.6 expected goals against per sixty minutes (basically a measure of quantity and quality of chances against), the lowest rate in the league. Klefbom is on-ice for 2.7 and Nurse is on-ice for 2.4.

He's also on-ice for 2 goals against per sixty minutes, the 42nd lowest in the league. Klefbom is on-ice for 3.1 and Nurse is on-ice for 3.3.

Reactions: Vegeta and Roksta

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Klefbom plays the second most minutes in the league, Marino doesn't even play 20 minutes a night. I'm not denying that he's been good but the Oilers have their own version of him in Bear so they're doing ok for themselves.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

No he hasn't.

Watched both teams.

Bear has been better too.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Klefbom plays the second most minutes in the league, Marino doesn't even play 20 minutes a night. I'm not denying that he's been good but the Oilers have their own version of him in Bear so they're doing ok for themselves.
Klefbom also has the benefit of playing the plurality of his minutes with Connor McDavid and Draisaitl. And even with that he's still got horrible possession numbers and poor even strength production rates.

Marino has spent the most time with Jack Johnson and Zach Aston-Reese and is great in both categories.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Marino is on-ice for only 1.6 expected goals against per sixty minutes (basically a measure of quantity and quality of chances against), the lowest rate in the league.
Ahh...ok. So then you must also believe that these guys are the other best defensive players in the league:

Dean Kukan
Joakim Ryan
Oleksiak
Brad Hunt
Carson Soucy
Jack Johnson

All these guys are top 10 in the stat you cited, xGA. To me, sure looks like a flawed stat when THOSE players are in the top 10. This stat also means Justin Braun is in the top 15 and much better than Provy and Niskanen.

Flawed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He wouldn't have had the same opportunity in training camp. There's a good chance he may not have even made the opening roster in Edmonton. Not a whole lot of people disappointed at losing the player. Our depth on defense is very deep moving forward.

No offense, but if a fan of an NHL team isn't disappointed after losing Marino, they haven't watched much of him. He's been exceptional.

Reactions: Vegeta and JackFr

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ahh...ok. So then you must also believe that these guys are the other best defensive players in the league:

Dean Kukan
Joakim Ryan
Oleksiak
Brad Hunt
Carson Soucy
Jack Johnson

All these guys are top 10 in the stat you cited, xGA. To me, sure looks like a flawed stat when THOSE players are in the top 10. This stat also means Justin Braun is in the top 15 and much better than Provy and Niskanen.

Flawed.

Luckily, JackFr has eyes and isn't only relying on advanced statistics. Marino has been absolutely fantastic.

Reactions: JackFr

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Luckily, JackFr has eyes and isn't only relying on advanced statistics. Marino has been absolutely fantastic.
He can be fantastic...and still not be the 2nd best Oilers Dman "by a mile". And also use 1 stat to determine defensive greatness.

Unless you too think those guys must be great too.

Funny....that he was the one that brought up the advanced stats.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No offense, but if a fan of an NHL team isn't disappointed after losing Marino, they haven't watched much of him. He's been exceptional.
No offense taken. You need to look at the likelihood of a) him not signing in Edmonton due to the depth in front of him. And b) the likelihood he would've seen weak partners and very little opportunity in training camp this year considering the same depth in front of him. Some guys simply take advantage of a situation. Marino is one of them.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

Dean Kukan
Joakim Ryan
Oleksiak
Brad Hunt
Carson Soucy
Jack Johnson

Flawed.
Those guys have been playing very limited minutes against poor competition (and in many cases have very small sample sizes). Due to injuries Marino has been in our top four the large majority of the season including stretches on the top pair. He is currently on the top pair for the last few games.

I said Marino has performed better than Klefbom and Nurse this season, which he has. It's up to you to decide who you'd rather have on your team - maybe it's just a hot start.

(By the way, Braun is better defensively than either of those players - especially the extremely overrated Provorov. And using Johnson as a reason that the stat is useless is very funny considering that John Marino is literally the reason that Johnson is on that list.)

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
BTW, I don't blame Edmonton for losing him. If he wasn't gonna sign he wasn't gonna sign. But he would have made Larsson way more expendable if they had been fortunate enough to get him on the roster, and I do believe that he would be an improvement on their top pairing with Klefbom.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No he hasn't.

Watched both teams.

Bear has been better too.

I've watched both teams as well, and no, Bear hasn't been better. Thats beyond silly.

Marino is clearly better in his own end than Bear, both the stats and eye test confirm that. In fact, its not really close to be honest.

Marino is also putting up better numbers offensively and no, he's not getting PP time.

So what exactly makes Bear better?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
He can be fantastic...and still not be the 2nd best Oilers Dman "by a mile". And also use 1 stat to determine defensive greatness.

I brought up the advanced stats because otherwise the argument is just Oilers fans going "nuh uh" and me going "uh huh"

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If he was so far down Edmonton's depth chart that's some seriously poor judgment of talent. He has been better than Bear in my opinion.

Reactions: Vegeta

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Not sure about Advanced stats but with the eye test, I'd pick Marino over Nurse. Wouldn't have done that prior to the season, but hindsight is 20/20. I don't know if he's miles better, but the decision might be that large. Especially when you factor in cap. Marino is an incredibly smart player, and he just gets better and better. This kid is the real deal. People saw a little in college, but truthfully like them, I thought it was more Fox, than Marino that stirred the drink. And while Fox is also doing well, especially on the PP in NY, I actually have liked Marino a lot more. He's such a good player. I'd want him on my team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's much better than Adam Larsson and comparable to Bear, probably a little better than him right now imo. So at worst he'd be the 2RD, maybe the 1RD. It definitely stings for Oilers even if he wasn't gonna sign with them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
BTW, I don't blame Edmonton for losing him. If he wasn't gonna sign he wasn't gonna sign. But he would have made Larsson way more expendable if they had been fortunate enough to get him on the roster, and I do believe that he would be an improvement on their top pairing with Klefbom.

No doubt he'd be an improvement. Sucks that he didn't want to sign.

I can't really blame them for not rolling out the red carpet to hopefully sign him either. I don't think anyone - Pittsburgh included - thought he was going to be this good this fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad