Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Very impressed when I saw him play against the Habs last week. Great skater. Absolute steal for a 6th.

Reactions: BHD

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
No need to slight the Oilers. Kid is an amazing player, good on Rutherford to target him knowing he probably wouldn't re-sign with the Oilers. EDM has a great future young d-core coming up with Nurse/Klefbom/Bear/Bouchard/Broberg.

Marino is a brilliant young player and was a great pick up by Rutherford.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sometimes circumstances force a team to sell low on a guy... it happens... so far he looks like a surefire home run, but lets wait a year or two before we really decide how good he is gonna be...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It only made sense for the Oilers to trade him because he wouldn't sign and he would unquestionably be in the Oilers top 4 and probably on the Nurse pairing over Bear the way he's playing now. Any Oilers fan who says otherwise hasn't watched enough of Marino.
The Oilers gifted the Pens a really good one.

Yeah, I meant that to mean it's fine to say that it made sense for the Oilers to trade him because he wasn't going to sign. If Marino didn't want to sign with Edmonton because of their prospect D depth or their location, it made sense for the Oilers to trade him. I think they could have done something to clear out some of the D depth or guarantee him a spot, but if he wanted to live closer to the East coast, they couldn't do anything about that. It's fine to say they don't deserve criticism for that. Talking down on his abilities is a joke, he's a legitimate top-4 defenseman already. He would probably be Edmonton's best RD so far this year, based on him basically performing on par with Dumoulin this year.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Seriously? Before the season started where was he going to fit on the Condors?

We had Bear (WHL D man of the year), Jones, Lowe (Captain), Bouchard (OHL D man of the year), Samurokov, Lagesson, and Day ahead of him. They brought in a 25 year old UFA in Persson who was like a school teacher part time two years ago and only started playing pro hockey two years ago. And they signed Vincent Desharnais the 2016 7th rounder. The NHL team had Kelfbom, Nurse, Larsson, Sekera, Russell, Benning, and ugh.. Manning.

Jones and Lagesson are NHL ready and will require waivers next season. Bouchard and Samurokov are high end rookies that need playing time. Bear made the NHL unexpectedly. Then the Oilers have Broberg overseas.

Marino looked at the list and said... no way am I signing! I'm happy for him but a D man like him is a not a big loss. It's bad enough Samurokov is buried on the bottom-pair with no PP time on the Condors.

you're missing the entire point. I said talent evaluation was bad. The oilers didnt know what they had in marino is the point. But whatever yeah you can pretend like the oilers just got "unlucky" again and offloaded another good player for nothing.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This trade probably extends the Pens competitive window by 2 years.
It certainly makes this offseason easier. The two big UFAs are Schultz and Galchenyuk, and consensus was that after re-upping the RFAs there would only be enough money left for one of them. Now Schultz is a gonner, either now of in the summer, and while Chucky clearly doesn't have a future with the Pens, his cap space does in the form of an impact F. Krieder, Tatar, someone like that. Go fishing GMJR.

Reactions: That1Kid

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
you're missing the entire point. I said talent evaluation was bad. The oilers didnt know what they had in marino is the point. But whatever yeah you can pretend like the oilers just got "unlucky" again and offloaded another good player for nothing.
It has nothing to do with not knowing what they had. He had the NCAA loophole where he didn't have to sign to play in Edmonton, and he wasn't going to. We either traded him for whatever the best offer was, or he was going to head to free agency. The Pens got a steal of a player, I wish Edmonton could have kept him, but the way it was working out, he was never going to play for the Oilers. They did what they could with the asset. Even if it was the case that our defense prospect rankings are too full for him to want to compete for a spot, well, there are guys that no team would have moved to make space for him - Bear, Jones, and Bouchard, and still two other really good prospects in Samurokov and Lagesson. The earlier 3 are guys that you build your future around anyway. The latter two are longer shots with tons of upside, but probably not enough trade value to make trading them worthwhile. Not to mention that absolutely nobody thought Marino was as good as he has shown to be anyway. A guy coming out of nowhere isn't bad asset evaluation when all teams likely had him valued that way.

Reactions: YP44

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
It has nothing to do with not knowing what they had. He had the NCAA loophole where he didn't have to sign to play in Edmonton, and he wasn't going to. We either traded him for whatever the best offer was, or he was going to head to free agency. The Pens got a steal of a player, I wish Edmonton could have kept him, but the way it was working out, he was never going to play for the Oilers. They did what they could with the asset. Even if it was the case that our defense prospect rankings are too full for him to want to compete for a spot, well, there are guys that no team would have moved to make space for him - Bear, Jones, and Bouchard, and still two other really good prospects in Samurokov and Lagesson. The earlier 3 are guys that you build your future around anyway. The latter two are longer shots with tons of upside, but probably not enough trade value to make trading them worthwhile. Not to mention that absolutely nobody thought Marino was as good as he has shown to be anyway. A guy coming out of nowhere isn't bad asset evaluation when all teams likely had him valued that way.

he said he belonged in the ECHL. clearly not.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He.
Didn't.
Want.
To.
Sign.
In.
Edmonton.

It has nothing to do with poor talent evaluation or deck shuffling on the part of Edmonton. Why is this so difficult for some people?

Reactions: ElPrimeTime and BHD

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He.
Didn't.
Want.
To.
Sign.
In.
Edmonton.

It has nothing to do with poor talent evaluation or deck shuffling on the part of Edmonton. Why is this so difficult for some people?

Because people are saying that he was too far down the depth chart.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Why is this thread still going? Just an outlet to bash the Oilers?? They had the wisdom to draft him in the first place. He did not want to sign in Edmonton, and that happens sometimes. He was about to become a UFA. He was traded with a return commensurate to the “gun to the head” scenario, again not Edmontons fault. Glad to see it work out for him in Pittsburgh. Other than that /thread.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why is this thread still going? Just an outlet to bash the Oilers?? They had the wisdom to draft him in the first place. He did not want to sign in Edmonton, and that happens sometimes. He was about to become a UFA. He was traded with a return commensurate to the “gun to the head” scenario, again not Edmontons fault. Glad to see it work out for him in Pittsburgh. Other than that /thread.

There are a couple people being stupid, but it's mostly just people talking about Marino's game if you'd actually read it.

Reactions: BHD

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
First Schultz now Marino.

Pens might as well just draft forwards and goalies from now on. Oilers will hook em up with the dmen.

Let’s not act like the Pens never helped out Edm.

Pens did the Oilers the first big solid in the Perron deal.

Oilers just stepped on their own banana peel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad