Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He wasn't gonna sign with us and if he did there was no room for him with how many good d prospects we have. Whatever...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
So ideally he plays out his senior season at Harvard and then signs with Pittsburgh to burn an ELC year playing down the stretch in the A. If he doesn't sign, we lose nothing. Works for me. We have some promising blue liners but it's not a deep pool so he has a shot to make it.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's more or less just speculation that he wasn't going to sign with the Oilers, but the prospect depth chart wouldn't have been favorable for him. To get something for him is a bonus.

I'll give credit to Rutherford. A conditional 6th is a outstanding payment for John Marino. No risk at all. If they don't sign him they give up nothing, if the Pens do it's a bloody steal.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Talk about getting my hopes up. I saw the first part "Confirmed trade: Edm-Pit John ..." and thought FINALLY JACK JOHNSON HAS BEEN TRADED.

You must've missed the part where we fired Chiarelli? As a matter of fact, you're welcome that Pittsburgh didn't acquire a shiny new Milan Lucic this offseason :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Do GMs just do these trades because they are bored?

Edmonton got a conditional pick for someone that they're not going to be able to sign and who's value was minimal. Pittsburgh trades a conditional 6th for a player who's developing well for someone who was a 6th rd pick a couple years ago. Considering how weak Pittsburgh's blueline depth is, this is a good move for them. Realistically Marino does nothing for Pittsburgh - but odds are neither would whomever PIT picked with that pick - and we'd have to wait 3-5 years to see how it panned out.

I'll give credit to Rutherford. A conditional 6th is a outstanding payment for John Marino. No risk at all. If they don't sign him they give up nothing, if the Pens do it's a bloody steal.

Not sure I'd go that far. The only way it's a steal is if he actually pans out into a top 4D. And realistically the odds of that (even with his nice development so far) is minimal. Best case is that all we did was gain a few development years for a pick that does little for us during the rest of Crosby and Malkin's careers.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So ideally he plays out his senior season at Harvard and then signs with Pittsburgh to burn an ELC year playing down the stretch in the A. If he doesn't sign, we lose nothing. Works for me. We have some promising blue liners but it's not a deep pool so he has a shot to make it.

Ideally he plays out the season in the NCAA then signs with Pittsburgh, but does what Blueger, Guentzel and Reese did - signs the contract to kick in July 1st. That way we don't burn an ELC year on a 3 month window. And they can still play in the AHL on a tryout/conditioning type contract like all the NCAA kids do.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman's 31 thoughts, a small note about Marino:

John Marino is making a run at the Pittsburgh defence, and, even if he starts the season at AHL Wilkes-Barre, he’s going to play in the big league. The Oilers really liked Marino, who they took 154th in 2015. Playing at Harvard behind offensive wizard Adam Fox and Devils draftee Reilly Walsh — the team’s two leading scorers — Edmonton thought it had a diamond-in-the-rough. Marino, from North Easton, MA., had a connection with former Oiler GM Peter Chiarelli (may have played with Chiarelli’s son) and things changed after he was fired. It wasn’t exactly a secret, either, and the Oilers made the best deal they could with the defender one year from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Penguins look like they will benefit big.

31 Thoughts: How Brayden Point's contract impacts the RFA market - Sportsnet.ca

You can thank the Oilers firing Chiarelli for why the Penguins were able to get Marino. It seems like it's beyond Pittsburgh now that thinks Marino is going to be a special player. Marino has been downright excellent for the Penguins in the preseason, his pre-season performance has shot him up to being in their top-3 prospects. I don't know what kind of upside he has, but he looks NHL ready right now and seems to have an upside of at least a solid 2nd pair guy.

Reactions: hn777 and Giskard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did I miss the "special" part somewhere?

John Marino is making a run at the Pittsburgh defence, and, even if he starts the season at AHL Wilkes-Barre, he’s going to play in the big league.

Edmonton thought it had a diamond-in-the-rough.

Are you really going to play the semantics game here? Edmonton also thought Marino was going to be a diamond in the rough, and now it has gotten out beyond Pittsburgh that Marino is legitimately pushing for a NHL spot because of his play.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Are you really going to play the semantics game here? Edmonton also thought Marino was going to be a diamond in the rough, and now it has gotten out beyond Pittsburgh that Marino is legitimately pushing for a NHL spot because of his play.

Yes, that's great. I've always been a fan. But "diamond in the rough" and "pushing for an NHL spot" seems pretty far off "special" in my mind.

It's not arguing semantics because of the vast difference in meaning.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hopefully it's another steal for the Pens like it was the case with Schultz a few seasons ago

Marino was never going to sign with the oilers. In the future people will try to rewrite history.

He is going to be a good player. He looked at the oilers depth chart and saw he was fighting an uphill battle. Given the oilers depth he may have started the year in the ECHL and not the AHL like he will be.

Pens won this deal in a walk

Reactions: Riptide

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Friedman's 31 thoughts, a small note about Marino:

31 Thoughts: How Brayden Point's contract impacts the RFA market - Sportsnet.ca

You can thank the Oilers firing Chiarelli for why the Penguins were able to get Marino. It seems like it's beyond Pittsburgh now that thinks Marino is going to be a special player. Marino has been downright excellent for the Penguins in the preseason, his pre-season performance has shot him up to being in their top-3 prospects. I don't know what kind of upside he has, but he looks NHL ready right now and seems to have an upside of at least a solid 2nd pair guy.
2nd pair league wide isn’t such a speculative guess I don’t even know where to start.

Preseason sample sizes are quite ludicrous to gauge value off of. Plenty of teams have players do well in the preseason.

If this guy is truly a top 4 league wide talent based off of the preseason, my god, JR is amazing... ... ... if you can’t tell, I disagree with your sentiment on almost every account. Just seems like homerism/personal bias.

If he doesn’t beat out Johnson/Gudbranson as the #6, that should tell you something. The kid does look good, but a T4 league wide upside is wild basing off of B roster teams playing safe hockey in like 5 games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
2nd pair league wide isn’t such a speculative guess I don’t even know where to start.

Preseason sample sizes are quite ludicrous to gauge value off of. Plenty of teams have players do well in the preseason.

If this guy is truly a top 4 league wide talent based off of the preseason, my god, JR is amazing... ... ... if you can’t tell, I disagree with your sentiment on almost every account. Just seems like homerism/personal bias.

If he doesn’t beat out Johnson/Gudbranson as the #6, that should tell you something. The kid does look good, but a T4 league wide upside is wild basing off of B roster teams playing safe hockey in like 5 games.

Okay, so you're right and both the Oilers and Penguins scouting staff is wrong. Friedman is an idiot for saying "Marino will play in the NHL this year" because you say so. Thanks, glad for clearing this up. I'll make sure to come to you to ask for scouting reports on these players in the future.

To add, I just said Marino is NHL ready right now. I said his upside is solid 2nd pair, not that he's a solid 2nd pair D right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad