Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Good to hear. Some defensemen really do benefit from a couple of years in the AHL.

Last year was huge for our entire AHL season. Woodcroft really helped down there. A lot of career years, as well as a 23 (something around that) game win streak.

But Bear also deserves a lot of credit. His main issue was his skating/footspeed, and he worked extremely hard over the summer to fix that, and you can see the improvements.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is Ethan Bear going to finally crack the roster or is headed back for a 3rd AHL season?

Bear will be on the opening day roster.

He had a fantastic camp and really worked hard this offseason in the weight room.

He’s an easy kid to cheer for and hope for success for. If he sticks on the roster for any length of time, I’m buying his jersey as my next jersey.

Reactions: Rebels57

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Solid move by Hollsy here, with the defensive depth we have he was buried so might as well trade an asset for picks. I expect to see Holland make more of these type of moves to bolster our cupboard of picks.

It’s little moves like these that add up to give you the trade ammo to make a big splash at trade deadline.

It was a 6th round pick for a defenseman who has been lights out in camp after just leaving college. Honestly after watching Marino play I would of given a 2nd easily for him. A 22 year old defenseman that is solid in all areas and has 2nd pairing potential. Many defenseman drafted in the second half of the 1st round are projected with that type of upside and are further away and less likely to reach that level than Marino at this point. I have seen enough to believe Marino can be a 2nd pairing defenseman in the not to distant future. Already has proven to me he could play in the bottom pairing and that is coming right out of college with no AHL seasoning.

So saying it was a solid move to get a 6th round pick for “trade ammo to make a big splash at the deadline” is frankly ridiculous. That being said it was the right move for him to do because he was going to lose the player for nothing because he wasn’t willing to sign with them. But let’s not get carried away with the return whichnis a 6th round pick which the vast majority never make NHL impacts. A certain percent of 6th round picks do and Marino is going to be one of those in the not to distant future and my guess is sometime this season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What's with Oilers always struggling to ice a passable defense, and always giving up their D prospects who then end up becoming good in NHL? In addition to the obvious ones, there's also been at least Erik Gustafsson that they gave away and now this guy's looking like a likely NHLer.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Lmao thats pathetic, you want Zadina pony up Bouchard. Would you trade Bouchard for Bracco + Gauthier? No dont think so.

How the hell are those 2 Leafs the same as Puljujarvi and Samorukov? Gauthier is a 24yr old career AHLer who is perennial waiver fodder. The only way he sees NHL time at this point is if there’s multiple injuries on your big club. Bracco is decent, but he’s undersized and also older than either of those Oilers.

Samorukov would challenge to be their #1D prospect (I think he’s on par with Cholowski, Seider and MacIsaac). If you want to say they don’t do it because they already have those 3 D prospects, fine, but Samorukov has good value. I also think Puljujarvi still holds some value as well (definitely more than either of the Leafs you mentioned).

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
People complaining about the value EDM got - the kid hadn't played pro yet, was a late round pick himself and was refusing to sign - how many GM's are giving up more than a 6th for him.

Absolutely stoked for the kid, wish EDM had managed to get him to a contract while dealing out Kris Russel this off-season but understand the want to keep a veteran on the bottom pairing for this year.

Hope he does well for PIT

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It was a 6th round pick for a defenseman who has been lights out in camp after just leaving college. Honestly after watching Marino play I would of given a 2nd easily for him. A 22 year old defenseman that is solid in all areas and has 2nd pairing potential. Many defenseman drafted in the second half of the 1st round are projected with that type of upside and are further away and less likely to reach that level than Marino at this point. I have seen enough to believe Marino can be a 2nd pairing defenseman in the not to distant future. Already has proven to me he could play in the bottom pairing and that is coming right out of college with no AHL seasoning.

So saying it was a solid move to get a 6th round pick for “trade ammo to make a big splash at the deadline” is frankly ridiculous. That being said it was the right move for him to do because he was going to lose the player for nothing because he wasn’t willing to sign with them. But let’s not get carried away with the return whichnis a 6th round pick which the vast majority never make NHL impacts. A certain percent of 6th round picks do and Marino is going to be one of those in the not to distant future and my guess is sometime this season.

Todd from Leduc is a parody account by a Flames fan.

Anyways, glad to hear Marino is doing well.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
JN4qpTW.png

n1rrJml.png

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
John Marino is expected to open the season with the Penguins | TribLIVE.com

Some actual news, Rutherford said that Marino is going to start the year with the Penguins. I think it's a horrible decision, not because Marino isn't NHL ready but because they just don't have a spot for him. Keeping Marino up takes the Penguins to 9 defenseman on the NHL roster, and you can't get cap compliant by trading Ruhwedel.
Yeah, rather he start in the AHL getting top pairing minutes with hopefully POJ and seeing what that pair can do together in the AHL before they become our 2nd pairing down the line.

Reactions: BHD

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, rather he start in the AHL getting top pairing minutes with hopefully POJ and seeing what that pair can do together in the AHL before they become our 2nd pairing down the line.

Think of what Rutherford has done for so little. First traded waiver wire Sprong for Pettersson who is in our top 4 and only 23 years old. Then gets Marino for a 6th round pick and he is NHL ready without any AHL time needed. Pretty impressive getting those two assets for a 6th and literally a waiver wire player. Rutherford does not get near the credit he deserves with his trading ability.

I also think POJ is going to be a top 4 ability defenseman in the near future and will make the Pens LD spot strong for years with Dumoulin, Pettersson, and POJ. Marino is ready now but Pens are loaded on the RD side with Letang, Schultz, and Gudbranson. I agree with you that I rather have Marino down in the AHL getting 20+ minutes a night with POJ than not getting much time with us. Maybe an RD is going in a deal also? Seems strange to keep 5 RD’s up. Even trading Johnson doesn’t help that and just makes it 3LD and 5RD. This next 24 hours is going to be interesting. You might see a big deal with several pieces moving or multiple deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad